Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2022, 05:58 PM   #1
46woodie

Default Radial tires for my 46

I asked on here for opinions on radial tires to replace my 6:00X16 coker bias. Everyone had good thihgs to say about the switch. Now its spring and Im serious about buying a set BUT someone has told me the radials can come off the wheel when driving.
Any particular brand or size of tire I should be aware of? Nearly everyone Ive talked with only had positive thihgs to say,just double checking. Thanks
46woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 06:48 PM   #2
aussie merc

Default Re: Radial tires for my 46

tires are made for a rim size get it correct and no problems any decent tire shop will be able to give you the correct advice, tires will roll off early rims if they are 1 not correctly matched or 2 not correctly inflated but other than this they really don't give many problems
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 09:25 PM   #3
deuce_roadster

I have 600 16 Diamondback radials that look like bias ply tires on my 40 wagon. (My wagon no longer needs to be point judged, just a walk around) It is a pleasure to drive now compared with the correct bias ply 600 16.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 10:49 PM   #4
tubman

I'm with the radial tire guys. I replaced the re-pop Firestone bias-plies on my '51 coupe and it made all the difference in the world. Before I changed the, negotiating a cloverleaf on the interstate was an adventure, even at the rated speeds. As to the rims lacking the "safety bump", just make sure you check your tire pressure on a regular basis, and there will be no problems.

Surprisingly, the '51 is the only car I have that didn't have a "slow leak" problem. I chased one on my Corvette for a couple of years and finally fixed it, but it was a bugger to find. When I bought my current DD, I had one hell of a time finding one with steel wheels. I have never had a car with aluminum wheels where at least one of them had a leak problem.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 05:36 PM   #5
46woodie

Thanks for the great advice
46woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 10:28 PM   #6
wga

Running Cokers on my stock 49 woodie, second set. Replaced the first set due to age - 8 years. Coker had some problems, good friend's 51 Woodie lost a tire on I5 in Calif.
I've driven thousands of miles and no issues. And they took few ounces per wheel to balance. I also replaced the original 49 wheels due to the rivets rusting, and not holding the wheel halves together.
If you decide to order Coker, use Summit Racing, they pay the freight, and the price is the same as direct from Coker, except you pay the freight.