Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-18-2021, 09:46 PM   #1
mgambuzza

Default Model A Ignition Newbie Question

Recently I started to notice an increase in backfiring - initially thought was because the nicer weather and driving with windows open, but now noticing definite lack of performance, almost like the motor is missing a cylinder. I at a minimum pulled all the plugs and they do look a little like heavier carbon - cleaned up, but same symptoms. I went online and ordered plugs, wires (strips) cap, rotor, body with brass pins, new coil to cap wire, and condenser- all to arrive tomorrow. Then I notice a couple items - my current coil doesn' t seem a standard, and was wondering if it was original or some older OEM - pictures included. The wire seems embedded in the coil and connected to the cap (and the electrode inside doesn't look too good). I'll probably have to order a new Coil as well now that I see that issue. Also I didn't see the capacitor unless it is below the plate where I show the pictures? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3930.jpg (34.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3931.jpg (41.4 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3933.jpg (32.2 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3934.jpg (76.8 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3935.jpg (67.8 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by mgambuzza; 05-18-2021 at 09:53 PM. Reason: missing
mgambuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:58 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Model A Ignition Newbie Question

Before you change parts check the point gap and see that it is correct. The condenser is the silver colored cylinder under the main distributor body as seen in picture 4. Only change one thing at a time to find the trouble, and remember it could be the fuel system.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 05:37 AM   #3
Patrick L.

Yep, what J said.

Try not to throw parts at it.

One thing though about coils. Our monsters do not like oil filled coils. Those coils don't like to be tipped upside down, neither do I.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 05:50 AM   #4
nkaminar

It is good that you are doing a tuneup of your electrical system. As others have said, do one thing at a time and try cleaning and adjusting the points before throwing money at it. But, plugs that have carbon on them indicates a rich fuel/air ratio so look at your carburetor too. Have you tried adjusting the GAV?
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 06:32 AM   #5
mgambuzza

Thanks - I'll try cleaning the points first. The GAV was set VERY rich when I bought it. It wasn't until I did some research that I did start thinning it out making it run better and definitely could smell it in the quality of the exhaust.

Last edited by mgambuzza; 05-19-2021 at 06:32 AM. Reason: sp
Old 05-19-2021, 07:29 AM   #6
old31

Do what the others have said. I would start the gav at 1/2 a turn and see what happens. So, turn in the gave until it stops, then back it out 1/2 a turn and play with it at that stage.

Also, it is hard to see. Is that a crack on your dist cap on picture 2 at the 1 o'clock position?
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:48 AM   #7
Conaway2

In addition to what’s already been said, be sure you have a solid-core (ie - not carbon-core) high tension wire from coil to distributor. The points spring contact is pretty rusty; perhaps not making consistently good contact. I can’t tell what plugs you’re using. Champion 3X - although pricey - were designed for the Model A engine. Champion 16Y’s work well, too.
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:05 AM   #8
frank55a

Another thing to check. It has been quite a few years but depending how old your distributor body is (may be 20 + years old), some of the older repo bodies were poor quality and did not have sufficient insulation or would crack between the #3 & #4 plug connections. The spark would jump from the #4 to the #3 spark plug lead thru the body. The arcing could be seen if the engine was idling in the dark and you look where the #3 lead comes close to the body. At one tune up clinic our club had perhaps 20 years ago we had 5 or 6 cars that were running poorly and it seemed nothing could fix the problem. Sure enough we found 3 that had bad repo bodies that was causing this problem. When the bodies were change the problem went away.

Last edited by frank55a; 05-19-2021 at 08:40 AM.
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:07 AM   #9
Kurt in NJ

from looking at the pictures it looks that the rotor spring is not touching the carbon button, this causes a spark that eats the carbon button

i used to have condenser problems, since i got the A&L burnout proof one it's been over 35 years trouble free, all i do is adjust point gap occasionally and lube cam
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:28 AM   #10
daren007

You are chasing the wrong problem. It is not your ignition but either a leaking intake valve or overly lean mixture.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 11:22 AM   #11
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by daren007 View Post
You are chasing the wrong problem. It is not your ignition but either a leaking intake valve or overly lean mixture.
I think a too lean mix or leaking manifold would give a different indication on the spark plugs, less carbon and burnt electrode are common. Let him check the ignition first.
Old 05-19-2021, 03:27 PM   #12
Ernie Vitucci

Good afternoon...The key is to make a list of all the good suggestions above. Test them one at a time...if no change put the old parts back on and move to the next possible problem. A couple of comments...coils and condensers are known to begin to fail when they are hot, but continue to work when they are cold. Keep this in mind. Also your intake and exhaust manafold combination might be loose if it has not been tightened in a long time...40 to 45 pounds feet on the torque wrench...Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 03:36 PM   #13
J Franklin

Don't over tighten and bust the manifold, 35-40# is plenty of torque
Old 05-19-2021, 06:33 PM   #14
mgambuzza

one question I have on the coil. From picture when measuring voltage to ground the left wire has voltage. The old coil in picture 2 has Bat and Dist posts on it. The old coil was wired Dist to the hot (left wire) and Power to the left (no power on it). The new coil- Picture 4 has Positive and Negative terminals. Which of these for my positive ground should I connect to the hot lead - I'm presuming the Negative terminal, and the Positive to the right lead that is not hot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3941.jpg (66.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3940.jpg (39.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3938.jpg (27.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3943.jpg (27.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3944.jpg (32.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 05-19-2021, 06:42 PM   #15
Patrick L.

Wire the primary coil leads the same as the battery. If car is + grd then the + lead from the coil goes thru the switch to the points.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:31 PM   #16
mgambuzza

OK, got the coil figured out and wired. Next I thought before I started I take a look at the condenser. When I unscrewed the plate the screw came up but the mounting bracket fell off showing that it wasn’t even attached to the condenser. I pulled the condenser out and as you’ll see it seems that the tip of the condenser is in the distributor. My question is do I have to completely disassemble distributor in order to get that last tip/piece out of the distributor or would I be able to pull it out with a needle nose? I wasn’t sure whether the tip is fastened with a screw or by pressure from the plate when the condenser is screwed into-the distributor body? Pictures of the comparable sizes are attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52B1F977-BBC8-4C11-A729-A42DDED18ED8.jpg (27.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg image.jpg (40.5 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by mgambuzza; 05-19-2021 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:42 PM   #17
mgambuzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgambuzza View Post
OK, got the coil figured out and wired. Next I thought before I started I take a look at the condenser. When I unscrewed the plate the screw came up but the mounting bracket fell off showing that it wasn’t even attached to the condenser. I pulled the condenser out and as you’ll see it seems that the tip of the condenser is in the distributor. My question is do I have to completely disassemble distributor in order to get that last tip/piece out of the distributor or would I be able to pull it out with a needle nose? I wasn’t sure whether the tip is fastened with a screw or by pressure from the plate when the condenser is screwed into-the distributor body? Pictures of the comparable sizes are attached.
OK, “I can hear the chuckles". I found where I bought the farm on this one. Great learning experience. I’ll save the real questions for the real experts. Didn’t realize there was a screw on the other end of the distributor. I guess that’s why sometimes it’s easier to have both sides of the hood open if you can.

Last edited by mgambuzza; 05-19-2021 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:50 PM   #18
wwirz

I would strongly suggest two things which will help you quite a bit:
1. Join your local Model A club. There are people in the club that grew up with Model As and they can help you in real time.
2. Purchase the Les Andrews "RED" book. This is the bible to maintaining a Model A

I have had my Model A for 1 year. I am still learning. What is excellent is that you are jumping into this great hobby and you are learning too by doing. Do you think you will forget the second screw that holds the condenser again?

Best of luck. This is a great forum.
wwirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 10:11 PM   #19
mgambuzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwirz View Post
I would strongly suggest two things which will help you quite a bit:
1. Join your local Model A club. There are people in the club that grew up with Model As and they can help you in real time.
2. Purchase the Les Andrews "RED" book. This is the bible to maintaining a Model A

I have had my Model A for 1 year. I am still learning. What is excellent is that you are jumping into this great hobby and you are learning too by doing.Do you think you will forget the second screw that holds the condenser again?

Best of luck. This is a great forum.

I did join a local club, but unfortunately they are a bit away from me. In agreement from past experiences from other car clubs there are always good members willing to help.

I did purchase the Red book. Sometimes it doesn't have the detail I need, and sometimes I need to rewire myself to going back to basics. These are great cars that are truly serviceable - I just need to readjust my troubleshooting techniques (the last problem child I had was a 1973 450SL with multiple sets of "control points"- my first real experience with troubleshooting vehicles with points and system issues).

Complete agreement - a great forum. It shows how participants are so engaged with assisting with troubleshooting.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:21 PM   #20
mgambuzza

Last update for the evening. Replaced the coil, wire, cap, distributor body, sanded the points, condenser, and although the quality of the sound of the engine improved, I still had some backfire as well as hesitation and light skipping. I then replaced the spark plugs and wire strips. This time it seemed much better. The backfiring disappeared, and I could actually accelerate beyond 20MPH without straining. I'm calling it a night, but I am crossing my fingers that this may have done it. I did purchase a new screen and gasket for my filter that I'll replace next, but it does seem like I'm on the right path. Thanks to all for advice, and posting some pics of the parts that were replaced (condenser was probably not making good contact as it fell apart on disassembly, and coil wire was not in the greatest shape).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3949.jpg (58.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3950.jpg (39.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3951.jpg (45.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3952.jpg (43.2 KB, 17 views)