Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-05-2018, 06:08 AM   #21
GOSFAST

Default Re: valve seat cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Marshall View Post
Gary, could you post a photo of a flathead block mounted in that Winona? We have that same head machine and it didn't appear to me that there was enough vertical clearance to fit a block on the cradle. I'm apparently missing the obvious! We still use it alot for the vintage heads.
Hi Chris, in the next few days I will have 3 blocks mounted on the Winona to set them up for the "pinned" heads. Will be sure to take a few shots then.

Today all 3 will be mounted on the Bridgeport getting the oil filtration procedure done, then on to the Winona for the "pinning" work.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Chris, just curious but do you that speed-reducer head? This is necessary to slow the machine down. These machines are so versatile you don't have to own a drill press at all if you have the Winona.
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:35 AM   #22
flatheadmurre

You really donīt want to use the PH-2000 as a drillpress for any bigger drill sizes...if it jams up you have a fair chans throwing the entire cradle off the table...
Cleaning threads is a real pleasure with it and a tapmatic autoreversing head and a threadrolling tap.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:21 AM   #23
Chris Marshall

Thanks Gary. We do have the speed reducer head. I've also used the Winona to cut valve pockets in the flathead heads. Have to be careful with that though - if the cutter chatters the table can "walk". We now have a bridgeport for that work though.

Chris
Chris Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:09 AM   #24
saltracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadmurre View Post
Is the second angle starting right at the inside of the seat or have you moved everything out a bit ?
Are the seats new or worn so they are real low ?
Should be able to do it as well with that setup as a 3D cutter.

I can see where redoing original size valves might work better. We are running 1.8 inch intakes and that does sink the valve seat down a good bit.
saltracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:55 PM   #25
GOSFAST

Quote:
Gary, could you post a photo of a flathead block mounted in that Winona? We have that same head machine and it didn't appear to me that there was enough vertical clearance to fit a block on the cradle. I'm apparently missing the obvious! We still use it alot for the vintage heads.
Hi Chris, here's a couple shots, one of a Flathead mounted on the Bridgeport getting the oil-filtration mod done and another on the PH-2000 getting ready to have both decks drilled (1/4" holes) to pin the heads to the block using the same dowels the SBC's use!!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Hard to see clearly in the photo but there are (2) "leveling" stands supporting the side of the block, makes it easy to keep everything straight! When I mount the fixture to actually do the deck pinning I will come back with another shot! I now have 5 Flathead blocks here for both procedures to get done, pinning and the filter mod! The (2) add'l shots show some valve/seat work being done, also on the Winona!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000034 Flathead Ford mtd PH-2000 B.JPG (78.2 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg P1000033 Flathead Ford mtd PH-2000 A.JPG (93.6 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead Valve Seat Install.jpg (93.0 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead Valve Seat Cutting A.JPG (69.3 KB, 76 views)
Old 12-05-2018, 01:08 PM   #26
Ol' Ron

Yes, it will fit. My shop in Springfield, vt has one and does my valves in it. For 50 years or so I did it with an old Thore grinder. But my eye sight just can see that well. When doing a valve job I place the ex seat high on the valve and radius the edge. I was told to do this to prevent burning the valve. SSounds good.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:46 AM   #27
GOSFAST

I brought this up again to add some add'l info, had a few contacts with some questions on the Winona!

One was about mounting the block (Ron mentioned this above about his machinist's shop doing it), it CAN be done, and it's really simple?

I placed 2 shots below, one you can see the mounting components in place, the other shows us actually "pinning" the decks for use with the SBC (timing-cover) dowel pins, they measure .250" (nominal). We make the finished holes in the blocks .247'/.248". That plate pictured is the same one we use to "finish-hone" ALL the bores on every Flathead we machine!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S We began years ago pinning the heads and the gaskets to the blocks due largely to the fact Edelbrock began making their head bolts larger in the "newer" casting than their earlier counterparts. We wanted to "stabilize" the heads/gaskets for a better/longer life! It works, we know for sure!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Block Mount PH2000.JPG (103.1 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead Block Deck-Pinning Fixture.JPG (95.1 KB, 60 views)
Old 12-06-2018, 04:31 PM   #28
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOSFAST View Post
I brought this up again to add some add'l info, had a few contacts with some questions on the Winona!

One was about mounting the block (Ron mentioned this above about his machinist's shop doing it), it CAN be done, and it's really simple?

I placed 2 shots below, one you can see the mounting components in place, the other shows us actually "pinning" the decks for use with the SBC (timing-cover) dowel pins, they measure .250" (nominal). We make the finished holes in the blocks .247'/.248". That plate pictured is the same one we use to "finish-hone" ALL the bores on every Flathead we machine!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S We began years ago pinning the heads and the gaskets to the blocks due largely to the fact Edelbrock began making their head bolts larger in the "newer" casting than their earlier counterparts. We wanted to "stabilize" the heads/gaskets for a better/longer life! It works, we know for sure!

When we run into heads with larger diameter head bolt holes we simply use two machined aluminum bushings per head which we locate between the cylinders in position 10 and 13. The bushings fit nicely into the larger holes we bore the bushings to the proper 7/16 diameter these now correct size holes locate the heads perfectly no need for additional pinning and drilling holes in decks of the block head gaskets or heads. So far its worked well up to and over 200 MPH many times so far. And many thousands of miles on the street.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:53 PM   #29
Chris Marshall

Gary, I appreciate the detailed photos. I have a block cleaned up and ready for the valve seats to be ground. Going to give this a try. Should work a bit better than the old Black and Decker hand held seat grinder!
Chris Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:01 AM   #30
flatheadmurre

Doing the seats with a grinder done right gives you a finish as good as anything...it just takes much more time to do it.
And running a shop time is money...what takes 3 different stones and a lot of small cuts to get the desired seat width is just one cut with a set depth on a seat and guide machine.
The old tools still work as good as they did back then...itīs just the labour cost that changes how we have to do things...
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:42 PM   #31
GOSFAST

Quote:
Gary, I appreciate the detailed photos. I have a block cleaned up and ready for the valve seats to be ground. Going to give this a try. Should work a bit better than the old Black and Decker hand held seat grinder!
Hi Chris, here's one last shot of the "straps" used to hold the block on the Winona! They measure 8" x 2" x 1/2".

It uses some 1/2" bolts/washers in the front and rear main holes.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Here's the "strap" with the bolts/washers, notice the slots used for "fine-adjusting" (leveling) the block decks on the cradle! That "center" hole in the "strap" serves for another tool's use!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Ford mtg Plates PH-2000.JPG (85.4 KB, 45 views)
Old 12-08-2018, 10:04 AM   #32
Kahuna

Thanks for posting that info, Gary.
Makes it easy for dummy's like me to understand the process
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:15 PM   #33
supereal

The machine we use is a Peterson. It holds any size block, as we can crank the cutter up to accomodate most any blocks from a "one lung" to a big rig diesel The machine stands over seven feet high. Be sure to closely inspect each valve pocket before you have it machined. Many have cracks in that area. We pin some, but others make the block unusable.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:25 PM   #34
aussie merc

your in aus so checkout the warren ans brown catalogs (repco) they had one that mounted buy fitting a cutter guide in the valve guides
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote