Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
Bill Underwood

Default 34 Ford grills

I see there is another producer (other than Drake) of the 34 grill. Anybody seen, used, laid hands on, etc. the "other" grill. Comments? Anybody familiar with the company? Would it be a resto item or truly a rod item??

Opinions, information please.

Bill U
Bill Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #2

Default Re: 34 Ford grills

Hi Bill,
Try Nottingham Reproductions 1-601-894-2292,Also Steve's auto restorations i need to locate ph# for You .Wayne
3340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
Uncle Bob

I believe Nottingham only does the '33 unless they aren't advertising a newly produced '34.

I'm not sure if this is the "other" producer you refer to: http://www.cwmoss.com/grilles/index.htm He's out of Australia. Drake doesn't always make/contract the stuff he sells himself, so he may also source from this fellow. Would be nice to know if someone has any insight.

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 07-15-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Underwood View Post
I see there is another producer (other than Drake) of the 34 grill. Anybody seen, used, laid hands on, etc. the "other" grill. Comments? Anybody familiar with the company? Would it be a resto item or truly a rod item??

Opinions, information please.

Bill U
Another manufacturer who is reproducing a '34 Ford grille is a company called Resurrection Panels. They are located in Australia. CW Moss sources their grilles from Resurrection Panels. I have seen their ’34 grille at shows and to me it looks as good as Drakes grille, but that is just my opinion. Others may disagree. There could also be other manufacturers making '34 grilles. J.M.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 07-15-2010 at 08:32 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
Gastrick

He may mean Vintiques as the "other" grille being marketed. I also need a decent grille for my 1934 Tudor. I was under the impression that Drake manufactured his own grille.
Gastrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:09 AM   #6
tub1

ive fitted a aussie made 34 grill it fitted great
tub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
Bill Underwood

Here's what I think I have learned. There are two basic grills. Bob Drake , made by Drake, and one handled by Carpy. Carpy's are the Australian version. The original Australian guy is not makeing them but sold out to another. They are supposed to be the same product as always. With that said, any comments about the two versions??

Thanks
Bill Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:44 PM   #8
Karl Wescott

Drakes grille is made in Taiwan but does seem to be excellent quality and fit.

The Vintique/CW Moss grille was made in Australia but needed some reworking. V/CW made a fixture and reworked them in California. Southern Rods sold them for a while (without reworking) before V/CW picked up the deal. Vintique/CW is no longer handling the grilles.

V8 Shop had a grille made in Ohio in the 1980's. It had some fitting problems but overall was a nice product.

There was also an aftermarket grille made possibly as early as in the 1930's into the 1960's. This featured a fabricated construction, fewer and thicker bars than Ford, questionable fit and a cheap price tag. JC Whitney marketed these. I dont know if these were only made in the US or if they were also made in Argentina when the cheapo 1936/1937/1939/1940 grilles went there.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:53 AM   #9
barryfromvictoria

you can spot a drake grille easily. Stand back and look at it and you will see the crankhole is slightly off center which makes the grille look like it was hit in an accident, then straightened wrong.
barryfromvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:42 PM   #10
art0908

The crank hole looks to be centered ok, the peak on the bottom of the grill is screwed up
art0908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:51 PM   #11
cas3

drake only makes grills when he has enough back orders to sell a bunch. then what happens is the dealers buy up all the other stock, so drake is back ordered again. you buy from drake, its 2400 for a complete grill with all the other bolt ons included. the dealers take off all the extras, sell them seperate, and the bare grill for 2400. on ebay, and hotrod shops,available all the time
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote