Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-02-2022, 10:21 AM   #1
Y-Blockhead

Default You ever do something really STUPID?

Have you ever done something really STUPID and lived to tell about it.

I read the recent threads on thermostats. Well yesterday when I started my Town Sedan I decided to look in the radiator to see how long it took for the thermostat to open (by the water flow).

Then I get the bright idea to feel the upper hose temperature. I am standing in front of the radiator with the hood open and when I reach in I hear a PIINNGGG.

Yep, the fan just grazed the end of my middle finger. Could have been a bad thing.

Just thought I would share my Brain Fart and remind everyone to always be on your toes when working around a running engine.

Be safe out there!!

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 03-02-2022 at 06:13 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:57 AM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: You ever do something reallySTUPID?

Stupid stunts ? If I only do one a day, its been a good day.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 11:27 AM   #3
Benson

Yes I have seen some dumb things ...

Last edited by Benson; 03-08-2022 at 09:18 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 11:40 AM   #4
katy

Probably, but offhand can't remember any.
Old 03-02-2022, 12:35 PM   #5
ursus

Y-Blockhead's experience with a rotating fan blade reminds me of when I was 16 years old and replacing a radiator. After replacing the coolant and setting the engine to run at a fast idle for a warm-up, I carelessly left a large screw driver on top of the radiator. As I was leaning over to check for leaks the screwdriver fell off of the radiator and into the rotating path of the fan blade.

There followed a sharp sound and the sensation of something brushing past the side of my head. Realizing what had just happened, I let out a sigh of relief and proceeded to search for the screwdriver but never found it. That is, until days later when I noticed it sticking out of the side of our house, 15 feet up and 40 feet from the car.

Never leave anything loose around a running engine!
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 12:50 PM   #6
Jim Brierley

Brain farts are common when working around machinery, hopefully we live to tell about them!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 12:56 PM   #7
dennis lumbert

I was installing a shrinking disc on a fender grinder .The grinder was on the floor and still plugged in,my foot on the handle of the grinder.All my fingers were wrapped around the edge of the disc and as I started to tighten it my foot pressed the switch on,the grinder turned on and I released the disc instantly. By the grace of God I was not injured except for my pride.I never work on a power tool without unplugging it no matter what the circumstances .I certainly felt very stupid that day and I am glad I was given a second chance .
dennis lumbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 01:08 PM   #8
Stretch Cab

I was helping my dad as a 15 year old kid restore my early 30 Rdst. PU. I was up on a ladder operating the ratchet style chain hoist to lower the motor back into the frame. Somehow I let go of the handle and the handle kept ratcheting up and down. The problem was the handle was under my chin and kept beating me in the chin. Being up on the ladder and off balance I couldn't escape the attack. I think I still have the scar from that almost 50 years later. Still got the truck too and lots of good memories with dad!
Old 03-02-2022, 01:51 PM   #9
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Cab View Post
lots of good memories with dad!
That ALWAYS outshines the stupid things.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 02:00 PM   #10
McMimmcs

Anyone that can’t remember doing stupid things has a poor memory! We are all guilty!

Last edited by McMimmcs; 03-02-2022 at 03:10 PM.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 02:01 PM   #11
Keith True

I was setting the timing on a 3.8 Jauuar engine back in the mid-70's.The only way to turn the distributer was to put your forefinger on one side of the fan belt,and your thumb on the other,and turn it either way.I think you're supposed to shut it off,turn it a little,then restart and check it again.But,I'd watched the jaguar mechanic do it running,so I did it too.I was real careful,turned it,got it right,and turned the clamp bolt with the ratchet.Went perfectly.Then I stood up,and popped that generator belt off the pulleys in a split second.One thing I hadn't paid attention to when the jaguar mechanic did it was that he had positioned his fingers,then had another guy start it up.Then had the guy shut it off when he was finished.He locked his fingers on that distributer,then never moved them one iota.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 02:37 PM   #12
Oldgearz

Not related, but I once shot a glass phone line insulator on the ground with my .22 and the bullet came back and went through my hat. Not a mark on me.
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 04:48 PM   #13
Keith True

Glass insulators are a lot harder to destroy with a .22 than you would think.With no flat surface the little .22 takes the path of least resistance,usually right or left.If you hit one of the grooves just right,it will come right back at you.Usually it will be up over you,or under,right or left,but your general direction.When I was a kid we found a dump of them by the old railbed.Even sunk into the ground the pile was 5 feet high.We all dragged hundreds of them home for target practice.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 04:53 PM   #14
Synchro909

I don't think Ryan allows posts long enough for me to tell my stories!
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 05:44 PM   #15
Bruce of MN

Our lawnmower was old enough that the spark plug terminal was an exposed clip. While mowing, I decided that instead of using the kill switch, I could kick the wire off the spark plug. I was right, but as the engine died, all the ignition output went through my shoe, up the leg, and down the other one to ground, at least it felt that way! I dropped that trick!
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 06:07 PM   #16
Robert/Texas

I've done a lot of stupid things in my 87 years of life. You can read about the latest one in the thread titled "Bad New Year Start". Please don't ask me about the other ones.
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 06:55 PM   #17
Mike Peters

Default Re: You ever do something really STUPID?

A few years ago, I had just finished putting a '15 Model Together, never had a Model T before, no experience. I started it for a friend visiting to show him how nice it ran, but didn't pull the emergency brake lever as far back as it would go before cranking it up. The car started good, but took off like a jackrabbit . I jumped out of the way, but the car plowed into a piece pf parked farm machinery and did a pretty good number on my newly painted front fenders. No bumpers on a T. That was the day that I discovered that there is really no free neutral on a T. Gotta have the brake on tight when starting and standing in front of the car to crank it.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 07:16 PM   #18
Reds34

The first story that comes to mind is pretty much the same as Y-blockhead. That just happened about a week and a half ago too, still fresh in my mind. I was really lucky that day.

Red
Reds34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 07:59 PM   #19
Sunny the Model A

Here is my stupid story as a kid. This happened when I was five years old, so I have wised up a little since then. We always had bubble lights at Christmas time that never worked right, and on the day that all failed to light up, little me wanted to fix them. I thought that the plug wasn't working, so I took some alligator wires and my slinky and sat down to try and fix them. I plugged the slinky into the live socket and turned around to connect the lights to the slinky. POW. the lights go out. when I realized what happened and told my parents, I made the comment of "I had enough electricity for one day!" I have been safety minded ever since. I could so easily have been fried, but somehow the short did not happen until I turned my back on it :0

Last edited by Sunny the Model A; 03-02-2022 at 08:01 PM. Reason: additional info on the story
Sunny the Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 07:59 PM   #20
Pete

No. I am from the planet Ork and we are not programmed that way.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote