Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2022, 08:55 PM   #1
jeepguy1948

Default T 5 5 speed VS Mitchell Transmission with overdrive

For several months I have been debating which way I wanted to go for my upcoming transmission upgrade. Either a T5 or Mitchell transmission AND overdrive, I would do both at the same time. Thoughts? And by the way, I think the Mitchells are some of the best people you could ever hope to do business with.
jeepguy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 09:39 PM   #2
GeneBob

Default Re: T 5 5 speed VS Mitchell Transmission with overdrive

I am running a 1935 trans with a Ryan overdrive. I would prefer a single trans with all the gears. However, you need to make sure you are getting the correct T5 trans so you have the right range of gear ratios especially the overdrive gearing. It seems to be getting harder to find the best T5's out there.
GeneBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 10:01 PM   #3
denver9

There is something to say for both trannys. The Mitchell allows you more gear ratios by splitting gears between overdrive and direct. However, I am not comfortable with all that weight hanging off the driveline tube. I chose the T5 for my 31 Model A Ford because it allows an open drive shaft like modern cars, plus the fifth gear is Overdrive. It shifts smooth as silk whether you are shifting up or down. (Real handy in hilly terrain). I bought a factory rebuilt for only $300 at a swap meet, but maybe I was just lucky... I bought my conversion kit from a guy in Ohio, but he is no longer in business. There is a guy in Bakersfield, CA that specializes in the kit you will need, and I have heard good reports about him. If interested, check a Model A magazine like "The Restorer" published by MAFCA (Model A Ford Club of America).
- Denver9

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
denver9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:50 PM   #4
jeepguy1948

There are at least 2 outfits that will do the conversion for you and I would seriously consider having it done but one is in KY and one is in CA. At least 1,300 miles away. So, not an option.
jeepguy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 09:46 AM   #5
gary678*

I have a World Class Borg-Warner T5 transmission my 1930 Model A Cabriolet; it is a wonderful transmission! Smooth as silk, easy shifting, never grinds, and I can downshift into first gear at 15 MPH (I don't make a habit of that). In 4th gear at 55 MPH my RPMs are at 2300 with a 3.78 rear and a Snyders 6.1 head. I don't like the extra shifter that is a part of the Mitchell package but that's just me... anyone that I have spoken with loves their Mitchell conversion; it's an excellent product. My fifth gear (overdrive) seems to be only necessary at speeds of 60 MPH+. Since I am comfortable cruising on open roads at 45-55 MPH the T5 is somewhat of an overkill. Perhaps you should look at a F100 transmission as it could be the ideal conversion (4 gears) and has a great track record. Of the three that I have mentioned I think that you would be very happy with any of those. Good luck. Gary D.
gary678* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 09:51 AM   #6
denis4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by '28 RPU View Post
There are at least 2 outfits that will do the conversion for you and I would seriously consider having it done but one is in KY and one is in CA. At least 1,300 miles away. So, not an option.

There are some tricks that I would be happy to share as I have gone the T-5 route in a '29 CCPU. Not that difficult. PM me
Old 02-25-2022, 09:55 AM   #7
Chris in WNC

my opinion- Mitchell.

would never consider opening the can of worms that the T5 conversion and open driveshaft involves. not "Model A" enough to suit me.....
Old 02-25-2022, 05:20 PM   #8
[email protected]

I installed t5 from a 1987S 10 Chevy 2 Wheel Dr. and it’s the best thing I ever did for that car it works perfectly

Last edited by [email protected]; 02-26-2022 at 10:11 AM.
rvye@roadrunner.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 06:21 PM   #9
Trod

Never heard of an F100 transmission... What year F100?
Trod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 09:30 PM   #10
fried okra

Location: Daniel Island,SouthCarolina/Knoxville, Tennessee/Sanibel Island,Florida

It's the Ford F150 light truck 4-speed transmission from the mid 1980's.

My '31 Tudor had one when I bought it and I really like it.
fried okra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 11:25 PM   #11
Dave in MN

I have both. The standard Model A 3- speed and a 26% Mitchell in a '29 Phaeton that I have driven just short of 100,000 miles. I also have a T-5 in a '31 S/W Town Sedan that has been driven about 30,000 miles.

The T-5 is very easy to use and shift but getting the original brakes to work with it was difficult as the centerline of the driveshaft U- Joint and the brake cross shaft are no longer in the same location. I fought the issue for thousands of miles and while doing so had marginal brakes. I finally switched to hydraulic brakes to eliminate the problem.

I actually prefer the Mitchel overdrive. It has been trouble free for all the miles I have put on it. It is a good piece of machinery and less expensive overall than the T-5 due to when I installed it over 20 years ago. Just my opinion and preferences.
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 07:54 AM   #12
old31

I have a 87 f100 trans in my A and love it. I have about 12,000 miles on it. The only thing I would want is another gear.

Gary678, what is your rpm in 5th gear doing 60-65 with your t5?
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 08:47 AM   #13
gary678*

To "old31", To answer your question about RPM at 60-65 MPH...I don't know as I have never checked it. I've only had the car at 60-65 MPH once or twice since installing the 6.1 head in late summer. I will check it out this Spring and will get back to you. As mentioned in my earlier post I am comfortable cruising at 45-55 MPH in 4th gear. When I bought the car 5 years ago it had the T5 and a 4.6 head. I switched to a 5.1 head and still used 5th gear at 45-55. Now with the 6.1 head 5th gear is hardly used. With my current set-up I feel the F100 would be the ideal match...but I still LOVE the T5. Incidentally I live in the Hudson Valley just a few miles from the Catskill Mountains and the T5 handles every terrain easily and efficiently. Dave's post #11 mentions a less than ideal rear brake function with the T5 because of notching the cross member; this is correct. This Fall I helped a friend install a custom made U shaped adapter ($325) for the rear brake rods that enabled the rear brakes to fully function; his brakes now are excellent and the high cost of hydraulic brakes was avoided. Gary D.
gary678* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 11:08 AM   #14
katy

My '05 Dakota has a "Getrag, GET238" 6 speed manual transmission (5+OD), I wonder how hard it would be to put one of those in a Model A?
Old 02-27-2022, 09:33 AM   #15
old31

Katy, that would be a good winter project. Install it, and let us know how it goes.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 09:56 AM   #16
shew01

Default T 5 5 speed VS Mitchell Transmission with overdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trod View Post
Never heard of an F100 transmission... What year F100?

This might help.

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/TremecT170FT.htm

My 1931 Victoria came with one from the previous owner. I am very happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 10:23 AM   #17
denis4x4

We put this T-5 in a '29 CCPU about 15 years ago. There seems to be a reluctance to cut the cross member. We fabricated a reinforcement piece BEFORE CUTTING the notch for the shifter and bolted it in place with 8 grade 5 3/8" bolts. The other weak spot in this installation is the wishbones. Using 1/4" X 1" steel, we welded it the full length of the seam. This A has a 6-1/2" cab stretch and the engine is a '32 B with an original CRAGER head. The flywheel is 28 pounds and I'm using a V8 clutch. Puts out 60+ HP at the rear wheels. The T-5 kit was purchased from an outfit in the midwest and we had to massage the pieces to make them fit. Had to order a speedo cable as the one in the kit didn't fit. I decided to buy a new Chevy S-10 transmission from the dealer rather than go the junkyard route.
Old 02-27-2022, 11:52 AM   #18
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
Katy, that would be a good winter project. Install it, and let us know how it goes.
First, I'll have to source one. I ain't about to take the one out of my Dakota.
Old 02-27-2022, 08:40 PM   #19
DJ S

Depends on your skillset and tool availability. The T-5 conversion requires quite a bit more work than the Mitchell. Also as mentioned previously, it is difficult to get the mechanical brakes to work well as you have to relocate the brake cross-shaft.

All that aside, the T-5 is a better setup. Although, I do prefer the Mitchell overdrive to preserve the option of driving a Model A as if it were stock.
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 05:23 PM   #20
AL in NY

I put a Ford F150 Tremec RTS 4 speed with OD in my 1930 CCPU back in 2007. There is no modification to the center cross member or the brake cross shaft. You still use the torque tube and radius rods, but they are shortened about 2 5/8 inches. You get a fully syncomeshed transmission with OD and your mechanical brakes work as they did before. OMHO, this is the best choice for OD in a Model A.