Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-16-2022, 11:30 AM   #1
19Fordy

Default Is there a PERTRONIX MODULE SURGE Protector?

I am trying to find a way to make sure my PERTRONIX I module doesn't overheat and burn out.

I see where PERTRONIX I says that it's module should not be subjected to more than 8 AMPS.
Would it be OK to install an 8 AMP fuse on the RED wire and another 8 AMP fuse on the black wire that attach to the PERTRONIX I unit to the coil?

I see where you can install a Mallory surge protector on the the Mallory Unilite set up and am wondering if fuses would work on the PERTRONIX I set up.
Or, is there a better way to prevent the PERTRONIX I module from overheating and burning out from excessive AMPERAGE? Thank for your feedback. JIM in FL.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 12:32 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: Is there a PERTRONIX MODULE SURGE Protector?

In my "caveman technology" world, I'd run one 7.5 amp fuse, and keep changing coils and/or ballast resistors until the fue didn't blow.

I see 7.5 amp fuses all of the time, but never a automotive 8 amp unit. Plus, it gives you a little slack.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 12:35 PM   #3
40cpe

An 8 amp fuse will allow a constant 8 amps to pass, heating up your coil and module. Added resistance, by a higher resistance coil or a ballast resistor, will lower the amps. I have a 1.5 ohm resistor ahead of a 1.5 ohm coil and have 3.8 amps feeding the coil.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 01:42 PM   #4
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
I am trying to find a way to make sure my PERTRONIX I module doesn't overheat and burn out.

I see where PERTRONIX I says that it's module should not be subjected to more than 8 AMPS.
Would it be OK to install an 8 AMP fuse on the RED wire and another 8 AMP fuse on the black wire that attach to the PERTRONIX I unit to the coil?

I see where you can install a Mallory surge protector on the the Mallory Unilite set up and am wondering if fuses would work on the PERTRONIX I set up.
Or, is there a better way to prevent the PERTRONIX I module from overheating and burning out from excessive AMPERAGE? Thank for your feedback. JIM in FL.
This is the reason you need to use the correct coil, Measure the primary coil resistance and knowing the voltage, calculate the amperage.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 03:37 PM   #5
rotorwrench

A fuse is not a good surge protector. It is a wire protector. Surge protection has to be more sensitive and act almost instantaneously. A fuse would act just enough slower to make it ineffective plus it would require the fuse to be replaced. The way the system is wired, the module is what controls the power to the coil. I'm sure the circuits in the module are proprietary. A person would have to take one apart to see it's make up.

Ballast resistors will control current by dropping it some before it gets there. Their unit may have it's own resistance internally to control input but that's a mystery without an internal module diagram.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 07-16-2022 at 03:49 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 07:21 PM   #6
Ronnieroadster

To save a Pertronix module from burning out its rather simple. Don't leave the ignition turned on with out starting the engine. Of course that's written in the instructions. The high amperage across the module when this happens will eventually create a failure.

Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 08:57 PM   #7
19Fordy

Thank you gentlemen for taking the time to respond to my question.
Old 07-17-2022, 12:50 PM   #8
drolston

At some point, you or a curious four year old are going to leave that ignition switch on, possibly killing the coil and/or the Pertronix. Neither a fuse or surge protector can prevent that. My solution; a spare coil and points distributor in the trunk.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 01:50 PM   #9
19Fordy

Drolston, You are probably correct. It gets expensive buying Pertronix I replacement kits at $80 a pop.
Old 07-17-2022, 05:57 PM   #10
Bored&Stroked

On some of our race ignitions (MSD Power Grid and Pro-Mag Setups), I use a big MSD noise capacitor to reduce spikes to the modules as well as reduce noise out of the unit. I'm wondering if something like this might work with a Pertronix?

https://www.holley.com/products/elec.../parts/8830MSD

Instructions - is wired in-line with the big +/- power lines of the MSD Unit.

8830.pdf
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 06:35 PM   #11
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by drolston View Post
At some point, you or a curious four year old are going to leave that ignition switch on, possibly killing the coil and/or the Pertronix. Neither a fuse or surge protector can prevent that. My solution; a spare coil and points distributor in the trunk.
I agree, except for the part about being in the trunk.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote