Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-12-2022, 05:38 PM   #1
LEM

Default Coil replacement

My old coil does not have plus or minus marked on the terminals just indicates distributor terminal. My question is this the positive or negative terminal?
LEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 05:48 PM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: Coil replacement

It would depend on the coil. But my money is on it being - .

You can use the lead pencil trick to determine the polarity, or, the 'A' vendors have a little gizmo for doing that.

Last edited by Patrick L.; 07-13-2022 at 05:46 AM.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 06:51 PM   #3
ursus

Positive ground and 6-volt systems went away about the same time back in the mid 1950's. Was Ford the only positive ground system at that point in time?
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 11:31 AM   #4
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
Positive ground and 6-volt systems went away about the same time back in the mid 1950's. Was Ford the only positive ground system at that point in time?
Other users of positive ground were: Chrysler products, Hudson, Jaguar, MG, Nash, Packard, and Studebaker, maybe more.

Last edited by katy; 07-13-2022 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Addition
katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 09:36 PM   #5
old ugly

help me. i need a tech lesson here.

why does it matter which direction the current flows through the ignition coil?

my old father-in-law told me. "listen close when people tell you how to do stuff they may know something. then do it the way you want."
old ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 06:01 AM   #6
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old ugly View Post
help me. i need a tech lesson here.

why does it matter which direction the current flows through the ignition coil?

Its how the coil/transformer is wired internally. There is about a 30% difference in voltage.
Old 07-14-2022, 08:20 AM   #7
updraught

No electrical expert, but there are several references to this on the interweb.
https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/ignition/ig104.htm
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 10:01 AM   #8
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
Its how the coil/transformer is wired internally. There is about a 30% difference in voltage.
This isn't quite true, the voltage output from the coil will be the same magnitude either way, but its direction will be different.

The secondary winding in the coil has one end leading to the high-tension terminal that goes to the plugs. The other end connects to one of the low-voltage terminals. That's how it makes a circuit. If the coil is wired up in such a way that the reversal of the magnetic field (caused by the opening of the points) creates a voltage in the secondary winding that pushes electrons toward the spark plugs, so that the current in the plug flows from the center electrode to the side electrode, the resistance of that air gap is relatively lower.

If the coil is wired up the other way, so that the voltage in the secondary winding pushes electrons back toward the battery, thus in effect "pulling" electrons from the ground electrode across the gap to the center electrode, the resistance of the air gap is relatively higher.

If the resistance in a circuit goes up, and the voltage stays the same, the current goes down. Since the coil is a transformer that always generates the same voltage (assuming constant performance of the points, condenser, battery, etc.) if the resistance of the spark plug air gap goes up, the current crossing that gap, i.e. the strength of the spark, goes down.

As the engine runs faster and hotter, the resistance of the air gap goes up independently of the coil, because the air between the electrodes is being dispersed by turbulence as the plasma arc tries to form. So the practical effect of the coil wiring not matching the plug is that, at any given rpm and load, the strength of the spark will be weaker, and at some point the spark will simply stop.

So it would be more accurate to say that, if the polarity of current in the secondary winding doesn't align with the spark plug, the spark is 30% (or some number around there) weaker. It may also be shorter-duration; I'm not sure, this is roughly where my electrical understanding runs out.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 10:10 AM   #9
duke36

Is this a new coil, oil or epoxy filled? Polarity is important as per post 2,7.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 10:43 AM   #10
alexiskai

With a coil of unknown provenance, I always recommend just installing it and testing with an analog voltmeter to see. You're never going to get 100% certainty trying to deduce its polarity from external indicators.
Old 07-14-2022, 10:53 AM   #11
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
This isn't quite true, the voltage output from the coil will be the same magnitude either way, but its direction will be different.

The secondary winding in the coil has one end leading to the high-tension terminal that goes to the plugs. The other end connects to one of the low-voltage terminals. That's how it makes a circuit. If the coil is wired up in such a way that the reversal of the magnetic field (caused by the opening of the points) creates a voltage in the secondary winding that pushes electrons toward the spark plugs, so that the current in the plug flows from the center electrode to the side electrode, the resistance of that air gap is relatively lower.

If the coil is wired up the other way, so that the voltage in the secondary winding pushes electrons back toward the battery, thus in effect "pulling" electrons from the ground electrode across the gap to the center electrode, the resistance of the air gap is relatively higher.

If the resistance in a circuit goes up, and the voltage stays the same, the current goes down. Since the coil is a transformer that always generates the same voltage (assuming constant performance of the points, condenser, battery, etc.) if the resistance of the spark plug air gap goes up, the current crossing that gap, i.e. the strength of the spark, goes down.

As the engine runs faster and hotter, the resistance of the air gap goes up independently of the coil, because the air between the electrodes is being dispersed by turbulence as the plasma arc tries to form. So the practical effect of the coil wiring not matching the plug is that, at any given rpm and load, the strength of the spark will be weaker, and at some point the spark will simply stop.

So it would be more accurate to say that, if the polarity of current in the secondary winding doesn't align with the spark plug, the spark is 30% (or some number around there) weaker. It may also be shorter-duration; I'm not sure, this is roughly where my electrical understanding runs out.
So, how does some of the modern systems work, where they use one coil to fire 2 different cylinders?

I kinda like the modern systems where they use one coil for each cylinder, mounded on top of the spark plug.
Old 07-14-2022, 11:04 AM   #12
old ugly

so when the primary coil collapses around the secondary coil, and when the coil is hooked up backwards, the electrons are traveling the wrong direction which pulls the spark at the plug backwards from the block to the electrode. effectively reducing the efficiency of the spark.
did i get that rite? lol
i don't think that MGA picture is accurate.

my old father-in-law told me. "listen close when people tell you how to do stuff they may know something. then do it the way you want."
Old 07-14-2022, 02:43 PM   #13
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
So, how does some of the modern systems work, where they use one coil to fire 2 different cylinders?
They work like you'd expect, one of the plugs has a spark that goes the "correct" way and the other has a spark that flows "backwards." If the coil produces sufficient voltage to overcome the resistance either way, the engine will still run fine. The only catch is that the wear on the plugs will be uneven – half will erode at the ground terminal and half at the center. So waste-spark systems often use plugs where both terminals are specially treated or use a special alloy to control erosion.
Old 07-14-2022, 03:54 PM   #14
Patrick L.

Also a waste-spark fires on compression as well as exhaust stroke.

Thats how to fire 2 cylinders with one coil.

Last edited by Patrick L.; 07-15-2022 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-16-2022, 04:44 PM   #15
old ugly

a few perplexing questions.

a coil that has a + and -

is this coil hooked up the same on a positive ground car as it is on a negative ground car?

is the coil wired different inside so that when i hook it up to a negative ground car the electrons don't travel backwards ?

if i use a coil with a + and - that came off of a 6 volt negative ground car on my positive ground model A will it have 30%less efficiency?

last question for now. how do we know these coils are wired different or how do we know what application they are for?

Old 07-16-2022, 05:05 PM   #16
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old ugly View Post
a few perplexing questions.

a coil that has a + and -

is this coil hooked up the same on a positive ground car as it is on a negative ground car?

is the coil wired different inside so that when i hook it up to a negative ground car the electrons don't travel backwards ?

if i use a coil with a + and - that came off of a 6 volt negative ground car on my positive ground model A will it have 30%less efficiency?

last question for now. how do we know these coils are wired different or how do we know what application they are for?

A coil is connected same abattery s the battery. If pos battery grd then pos coil terminal goes to grd [points].
Old 07-17-2022, 12:51 PM   #17
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
the 'A' vendors have a little gizmo for doing that.
https://www.brattons.com/IGNITION-SP...uctinfo/17140/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 01:06 PM   #18
JoeCB

Good explanation, Thanks Alex. While on the subject of electron travel direction, can someone share the "pencil lead/ spark" trick to tell which way the little critters are traveling.

Joe B
JoeCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 02:48 PM   #19
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCB View Post
Good explanation, Thanks Alex. While on the subject of electron travel direction, can someone share the "pencil lead/ spark" trick to tell which way the little critters are traveling.

Joe B

https://www.chicagolandmgclub.com/te...neral/574.html
Old 07-20-2022, 08:56 PM   #20
LEM

Wow that’s a lot of information for a simple question that I asked but it’s all good knowledge. I hooked up my black wire to the negative side of the new coil. I then use the lead pencil test and according to what I saw the coil is wired correctly.
LEM is offline   Reply With Quote