Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-31-2022, 04:10 PM   #1
JOHNCL

Smile Effect of too large point gap

Thought I'd pass on a lesson learned about points gaps. I was having a devil of a time tracing the cause of engine misfire > 1900 rpm with my Burtz engine set up with a stock head and Model B manifolds and carb. It turned out to be the points were set too wide and as they were incrementally narrowed, the engine ran to higher revs before misfire. I stopped the process when I was satisfied. It is close to the recommended .020" (which I looked up after my process) but may be a bit less.
JOHNCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 05:25 PM   #2
AL in NY

Default Re: Effect of too large point gap

Why did you set the point gap so large? The recommended settings are there for a reason!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2022, 05:56 PM   #3
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL in NY View Post
Why did you set the point gap so large? The recommended settings are there for a reason!!!!!!!!!!
Some folks like to play.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:21 PM   #4
Dino's A

You also need to check for metal build up / metal transfer from the point arm to
the other post. I had an occasional small miss upon acceleration and had the
points with an uneven surface. I got out my trusty point file & dressed them until
a set of points I ordered came in. Metal transfer of the points is caused by either
an under capacity condenser or an over capacity one.
Dino's A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:58 PM   #5
CWPASADENA

Points set too wide will not allow enough dwell time for coil saturation and the output voltage will be too low to fire the plug under load, especially at higher engine speeds.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:03 AM   #6
JOHNCL

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL in NY View Post
I report a lesson learned with a smile and get a reply chastising me with multiple exclamation marks. Al in NY you need to relax.
JOHNCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:20 AM   #7
nkaminar

John, Thanks for the post. I also learned recently to set the gap between the rotor and the pins in the distributor housing as close as possible without interference. The specification is 0.025 inch although in my experience a closer gap will provide a hotter spark at the plugs.

Before I retired, I used to have a sign that I hung in my office that read "Don't let the bastards grind you down." Probably good advice for the forum too.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:58 AM   #8
ETAModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNCL View Post
I report a lesson learned with a smile and get a reply chastising me with multiple exclamation marks. Al in NY you need to relax.

Welcome to the Ford Barn.... you should've done a search of prior post on this subject before posting... LOL!
ETAModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 09:07 AM   #9
AL in NY

Chastising?????????????
Old 06-01-2022, 11:36 AM   #10
JayJay

I had a similar issue as OP, engine would idle fine but rough at higher rpm. Turns out the points were close to 0.036". I closed them down to nominal 0.020" (actual gap will vary a bit due to variations in the distributor cam lobe height) and much mo' beddah.

BTW, when I'm doing this at home I set the points by removing the distributor and holding it in a bench vise. I then use a dial indicator on the outside of the point arm to measure how far the points open. For me and my mature eyesight, this is much more repeatable than using a feeler gauge in the car.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 11:45 AM   #11
rotorwrench

We all live and learn. I always figure an admitted mistake will not be repeated and admire the person a bit more for the admission. We've all been there. I know a lot more about ignition systems now than I did when I was younger and less educated.

Folks do have to develop a harder skin when posting on forums. Not everyone sees things the same way. I try to approach everything with certain amount civility so that I will get the same in return but I don't expect it in every case.

A lot of the new replacement breaker point sets are not made right and don't evenly match the oposite point as they should. I'm still using a set that I purchased back in the 80s since the last set I purchased were not usable without modifying the breaker plate.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 12:29 PM   #12
Patrick L.

Yep, everyone screws up. Its all part of being human. So, why not admit, some folks don't like to. I guess thats all part of being human too. If I only screw up a half dozen times a day, its been a good day.

Experimentation isn't screwing up, I look at it as experimentation. We just have a need to see stuff for ourselves. Thats part of being human too.

And it is hard to respond to forums such as this. Things are usually typed differently than they would be said and its hard to see the facial expressions. [smiley face] ��
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 02:03 PM   #13
Tom Endy

I have always set the points at .020, then set the timing. A new set of points will start closing up as the rubbing block wears. As they close up the timing changes. Before 1000 miles the car will not run well and you will notice you have to keep moving the spark advance handle up. Resetting the points to .020 will restore the timing setting. Rubbing block wear will reduce as the block acquires a glaze. It is prudent to re-set the points to .020 every 1000 miles. Always set the point gap before setting the timing.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 02:11 PM   #14
johnbuckley

"....Points set too wide will not allow enough dwell time for coil saturation..." I can believe that concept with engines that rev at 4000 or more , but it is really likely to be a factor on a stock A topping out at say 2600rpm?
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 02:39 PM   #15
ursus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
I had a similar issue as OP, engine would idle fine but rough at higher rpm. Turns out the points were close to 0.036". I closed them down to nominal 0.020" (actual gap will vary a bit due to variations in the distributor cam lobe height) and much mo' beddah.

BTW, when I'm doing this at home I set the points by removing the distributor and holding it in a bench vise. I then use a dial indicator on the outside of the point arm to measure how far the points open. For me and my mature eyesight, this is much more repeatable than using a feeler gauge in the car.

JayJay
Great idea! This will also tell you if there is any variation in cam lobe profiles.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 04:58 PM   #16
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
Great idea! This will also tell you if there is any variation in cam lobe profiles.
I find that there is often up to 0.003"-0.004" variation high to low on the four lobes of a worn cam, down to 0.001"-0.002" on a new cam (some of that variation I'm sure comes from bushing/shaft wear). So I aim to set my points to not less than 0.018" minimum which leaves a 0.022" max. Any more than that, find a different cam.

Tom Endy's point about new points is a good one, although I've found that the degradation of a new rubbing block is much quicker - more like check it every 50-100 miles until it stabilizes.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 05:02 PM   #17
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post

JayJay
I feeler gauge is a pain for me too. This is what I use, and it seems pretty much idiot (me) proof. It’s a tad pricey though.

https://www.brattons.com/QUICK-SET-P...uctinfo/17503/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:45 PM   #18
rotorwrench

I use the wire gauges for breakers & spark plugs. On funky cams, I've had to use a fine flat India stone and dress the high spots then polish to very smooth finish. Put some magneto cam grease on it and set it up for .020". The breaker block lasts a lot longer that way.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 07:07 PM   #19
Oldgearz

Tom Endy is spot on! X2
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:05 PM   #20
CWPASADENA

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbuckley View Post
"....Points set too wide will not allow enough dwell time for coil saturation..." I can believe that concept with engines that rev at 4000 or more , but it is really likely to be a factor on a stock A topping out at say 2600rpm?
Remember, we are dealing with a 6 volt system and the original Model A coil did not have a very high secondary voltage output to begin with.

Chris W.

Last edited by CWPASADENA; 06-01-2022 at 10:05 PM. Reason: CLARIFICATION
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote