Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-16-2022, 11:08 AM   #1
GeneBob

Default New Engine from Todd?

Has anyone heard any updates on the new engine blocks that Todd was trying to bring to market? I would be interested in his 5 main bearing block and crank. I don't have any contact information for him and the Fordbarn search is very weak.
Thanks.
GeneBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 11:33 AM   #2
jeepguy1948

Default Re: New Engine from Todd?

Make sure you include "Burtz"
jeepguy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 11:58 AM   #3
Bruce of MN

Aren't they two different efforts?
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 01:02 PM   #4
nkaminar

I think the one from Todd is aluminum and the Burtz block is cast iron. I am very happy with my Burtz engine. I assembled it myself and it is now running in my car with about 200 miles on it. I have had experience rebuilding many different types of engines so it was a simple job for me. And fun.

Todd has published his efforts on the Barn. Try the search utility again. I know he is not very active here.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 05-16-2022 at 01:07 PM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 01:24 PM   #5
Herb Concord Ca

Todd's last name is Butterworth, I think, he posts on facebook. He builds Synder's 5.5 and 6.0 heads.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 01:39 PM   #6
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Send him a PM (private message), he will respond. Also, His e-mail is:

[email protected]

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 01:57 PM   #7
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by '28 RPU View Post
Make sure you include "Burtz"
How about a Donovan Model "D"?

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 02:01 PM   #8
Bruce of MN

I searched for "Tod" and found this: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309853
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 02:20 PM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneBob View Post
Has anyone heard any updates on the new engine blocks that Todd was trying to bring to market? I would be interested in his 5 main bearing block and crank. I don't have any contact information for him and the Fordbarn search is very weak.
Thanks.

I didn't think Tod (-note spelling) was going to manufacture a 5 main at this time. My conversation with Tod was he was going to manufacture a replacement block for an original Model-A engine. In other words, the (re)builder would do the final machine work on Tod's block just as if someone found a NOS A-6015 Cylinder Block when Ford manufactured it as a replacement piece back in the day. Simply put, by using one of Tod's new blocks, you get a standard bore without any water jacket corrosion, without any fatigue cracks or thread damage, -and you could (re)use whatever internal components you wanted (-original camshaft reground vs. new Stipe cam, an original crankshaft vs. aftermarket counterweighted, stock sized valves vs. O/S, original cylinder head vs. hi-compression, etc.) to save time & $$ re-using what you already have. I am definitely NOT 'dissing' on Terry's new project as I think it is a fine piece, however IMO not every restored original Model-A needs a 5-main bearing engine with a proprietary crankshaft & rods when the hobbyist might already have many of the components to be reused from their present engine which just has a worn block.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 02:27 PM   #10
Flathead

I was hoping for an A block with B journal sizes to beef up the bottom end. I think such a set-up would be fine with only three mains.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 05:52 PM   #11
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead View Post
I was hoping for an A block with B journal sizes to beef up the bottom end. I think such a set-up would be fine with only three mains.
Graft in a B crank? I've given thought to that and think it's quite doable. The most difficult (expensive) part would be making new main bearing caps for the larger journals.
Old 05-16-2022, 05:59 PM   #12
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
I think the one from Todd is aluminum and the Burtz block is cast iron. I am very happy with my Burtz engine. I assembled it myself and it is now running in my car with about 200 miles on it. I have had experience rebuilding many different types of engines so it was a simple job for me. And fun.

Todd has published his efforts on the Barn. Try the search utility again. I know he is not very active here.
I have about 1,500 miles on my Burtz engine and it is still improving as it frees up. Each time I take it out, it impresses me again and again and I congratulate myself on making the decision to buy one.
I bought it for the almost indestructible bottom end. I did about 45,000 miles on an original engine rebuilt for the purpose of towing a camper trailer through the outback. While it is still going, I expect this engine will have way more stamina.
Old 05-16-2022, 10:18 PM   #13
jeepguy1948

If you search facebook you will find him. His name is Tod (1d) Buttermore. He is indeed building an aluminum block (and an aluminum OHV head) the block is 5 main.
jeepguy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:47 PM   #14
GeneBob

Thank you all for the information. I will be finding out more from Tod directly, I hope. I just put a supercharger onto my 1930 Tudor and would like to build an engine with 5 mains and better oiling to withstand the increased loads. This is not an immediate project, just an expectation that the original engine will not last forever.
Nothing against the Burtz engine, I think he has accomplished a fantastic feat in bringing the engine to production and everyone who has one seems to love it. I was hoping to find an engine that is not manufactured in China.

Last edited by GeneBob; 05-16-2022 at 11:26 PM.
GeneBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:57 PM   #15
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master Cylinder View Post
How about a Donovan Model "D"?
I first read about the Donovan "D" back in the '70's. Is it still in production? Or did it ever reach production?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 11:54 PM   #16
Terry Burtz, Calif

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I didn't think Tod (-note spelling) was going to manufacture a 5 main at this time. My conversation with Tod was he was going to manufacture a replacement block for an original Model-A engine. In other words, the (re)builder would do the final machine work on Tod's block just as if someone found a NOS A-6015 Cylinder Block when Ford manufactured it as a replacement piece back in the day. Simply put, by using one of Tod's new blocks, you get a standard bore without any water jacket corrosion, without any fatigue cracks or thread damage, -and you could (re)use whatever internal components you wanted (-original camshaft reground vs. new Stipe cam, an original crankshaft vs. aftermarket counterweighted, stock sized valves vs. O/S, original cylinder head vs. hi-compression, etc.) to save time & $$ re-using what you already have. I am definitely NOT 'dissing' on Terry's new project as I think it is a fine piece, however IMO not every restored original Model-A needs a 5-main bearing engine with a proprietary crankshaft & rods when the hobbyist might already have many of the components to be reused from their present engine which just has a worn block.
Brent,

I was not going to reply, but since my name was mentioned along with some questionable information, I am replying.

Thanks for not 'dissing" on the New Model A Engine.

I will be presenting a seminar on the new engine at the MAFCA National Convention in Kerrville, TX.

I am hoping that you can attend and you will understand that every part with the exception of the crankshaft and connecting rods is stock Model A.

I would also like to discuss with you the importance of external appearance, 17 pressurized bearings, 8 counterweights, and the cost difference between the New Engine's fully machined cylinder block and having to do additional work on an A-6015 partially machined cylinder block.

I look forward to meeting you in Kerrville.

Terry Burtz
Terry Burtz, Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:49 AM   #17
rotorwrench

I see the advantages of the modern design but I also see the need by some to go with a new stock type block. I feel that there is room for both and I hope both will do well in a limited market.

Some folks want to drive their cars a lot with smoothness and possibly more reliability and others just want a new block to replace a cracked or worn out original that may take a while to find a good core to replace. We have been fortunate that Ford made so many and had a long industrial supply as well otherwise they would not be as easy to source in the modern era.

Then you have the folks that want to build an old banger like the old dry lakes speed demons did back in the day. Yes, nostalgia has a place there too and what is better than a nice brand new block of either type to play around with.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-18-2022 at 10:22 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:17 PM   #18
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Burtz, Calif View Post
Brent,

Thanks for not 'dissing" on the New Model A Engine.

I would also like to discuss with you the importance of external appearance, 17 pressurized bearings, 8 counterweights, and the cost difference between the New Engine's fully machined cylinder block and having to do additional work on an A-6015 partially machined cylinder block.
Terry, I have no reason to, -nor desire to 'dis' or talk negatively about your engine.

I think where we have a misunderstanding is that you feel that because my typical engine customer does not want to purchase your engine assembly, then you apparently feel I don't like your engine. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The only area that I feel we have a strong difference of opinion on is the machine work. In my past, I used a Model-A engine rebuilder that seemingly had as many failures with his engines as he had good ones. Not only did this negatively affect my business' credibility, -it was expensive for us to make good on his failures. The brutal reality was that our customers did not care that someone else (outside of my company) manufactured the component, -or did the work, ...as they expected ME to stand behind the workmanship that ultimately came thru my shop. Because of this alone, we no longer trust anyone else's workmanship on projects that our name is attached to. That is why we prefer to do the machine work on certain areas so the craftsmanship meets our standards. Nothing I am saying implies that your engines or components have Q/C issues. All I am saying is that for my customer's project, we choose to either verify or perform the machine work ourselves so the onus is on us if there is an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I see the advantages of the modern design but I also see the need by some to go with a new stock type block. I feel that there is room for both and I hope both will do well in a limited market.

Some folks want to drive their cars a lot with smoothness and possibly more reliability and others just want a new block to replace a cracked or worn out original that may take a while to find a good core to replace..
That in a nutshell summarizes my typical customer's mindset. They realize that the stock Model-A engine assembly offered their owners reliability and longevity for many years with non-counterweighted crankshafts, and/or non-pressurized oiling systems. All that many of my customers are asking for is just a replacement engine block that is very similar in specification to how Ford manufactured the A-6015 block during the Model-A production era. Yes, I agree there is a market for both type of engines in this hobby.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 06:46 PM   #19
Tod

Wow.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 05:26 AM   #20
Tod

I'm not going to post pictures of everything, AGAIN, but just to set the record straight -

I have 3 main aluminum AND iron blocks being built, 5 main aluminum AND iron blocks being worked on while my new 5 main cranks are being cast (to be followed by a B-sized journal 3 main crank).

Aluminum AND iron OHV heads are being cast after the first of each has been built and tested. More of all of my heads are set to be cast asap, which includes Winfield 6 and 7:1, Stock Top Crow Foot heads, and the new Weiand-style as soon as I can get time to CNC cut the top of the pattern.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote