Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-15-2022, 01:00 PM   #1
apbright

Default GAV on Model B Carb INOP

I have a Model B carburettor for which the GAV does not seem to work correctly. The carb. runs rich independent of whether the GAV is fully closed, fully open, or anywhere in between (it is running at 10 ~ 11 as measured by an A/F meter independent of the GAV position).

Off the car, I notice that the GAV position has no impact in the flow of air through the relevant passages. This leads me to believe that the GAV needle end-tip is not properly sealing against the housing. Would anyone know how to repair this?
apbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 05:04 PM   #2
MAG

Default Re: GAV on Model B Carb INOP

Vince Falters site Model A & B Ford Garage has a detail drawing on the Zenith B carburetor.
The Zenith B Carb. GAV does not seat against the casting like a Zenith A carb does.
The B carb has a brass disc with a compression spring under it that provides a seat for the GAV. Disc B9531, Spring B9526.
Old 03-15-2022, 05:51 PM   #3
Oldgearz

You may also or only need a new needle valve. Suppliers (I think Synder's) has them for the model B. I put a new needle in my B and it works fine. I was not wanting to mess with that little seat.
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 06:20 PM   #4
AL in NY

Depending how long ago the passages were cleaned, the area right under the brass GAV housing usually gets pretty rust impacted because of the disc and spring. I would first pull the brass GAV housing and clean under it. The GAV allows more gas to enter the carburetor after the cap jet and exit at the comp jet.
Old 03-17-2022, 12:22 AM   #5
apbright

@MAG: Thanks for that tip. I had been wondering what the spring-looking-like thing was in the pictures on Vince F.'s website... had thought it was a thread, turns out it's a, uh... spring, duh..... I'm guessing my carb-in-question is missing that spring part, as the GAV turns with much less friction than other Model B carbs I have... so little friction in fact that vibration of driving down the road can cause it to change position.

I have ordered replacement set(s) from Renner's corner; the large parts suppliers do not seem to carry this part. Renner has gone quiet recently - here's to hoping his website is more than a zombie page.
Old 03-17-2022, 03:21 AM   #6
PotvinV8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Was in contact with David at Renner's Corner back in December. I would think they're still up and running barring any tragedy. Great guy and a great source of info!
PotvinV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 08:01 PM   #7
apbright

Parts arrived from Renner's corner exactly as ordered. My reports of their demise are greatly exaggerated.
Old 03-22-2022, 03:43 PM   #8
Ed in Maine

You should also look at the 1932 Dealer Bulletins on the GAV. The GAV is used differently on the Model B Carb. It should be open for cold startup and initial operation but then closed. Dealers back in 1932 were getting many complaints about poor mileage, hence the special bulletin. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote