Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-11-2022, 08:56 PM   #21
Keith True

Default Re: gasification

This morning I got 20 gallons in my diesel dodge to haul a little lumber.On the way back I had to laugh,the price had dropped a dime in the two hours since I had bought it.I have a 12 valve mechanical Cummins,I get well over 20 MPG.My friend has a later 24 valve,computer controlled Cummins in his.His has more power,smoother,better response,and on a good day he gets 12 MPG.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 11:07 PM   #22
Synchro909

Our family cars have for many years (since the 80s at least) been "dual fuel". That is, they run on either LPG or petrol. We distinguish between LPG (gas) and petrol (Liquid fuel). At the flick of a switch, we change from one to the other at any time. By the time we fill both tanks, we have a range that makes any of the electric cars look silly.
Ford at one stage, sold a car here that was dedicated gas only but they didn't last.
Old 03-12-2022, 11:57 AM   #23
Dan Partain

Here's a video of some local guys who built a gasifier for a Model T. They describe the process pretty well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krp6kgCiV7c
Dan Partain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 12:33 PM   #24
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
The oil won’t be used up in our lifetimes. Watch the drilling and pumping go back in high gear with the current oil prices. The amount of oil in the Bakken oil field will outlast your and my lifetimes.
We will never run out of oil because the Earth is a oil producing machine, it continuously and naturally produces oil, always has and always will, this is called "abiotic oil".
When a well runs dry it is capped off, come back in twenty years or so and Lo and behold...it's full again.
The myth that oil is a limited resource is pushed to justify higher prices, just like diamonds, both are plentiful and way over priced.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 01:09 PM   #25
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
We will never run out of oil because the Earth is a oil producing machine, it continuously and naturally produces oil, always has and always will, this is called "abiotic oil".
When a well runs dry it is capped off, come back in twenty years or so and Lo and behold...it's full again.
The myth that oil is a limited resource is pushed to justify higher prices, just like diamonds, both are plentiful and way over priced.
Burner,

It’s true, the Earth IS an oil producing machine but only in the long run. It takes millions of years for the Earth to make oil. Unfortunately, in the long run we will all be dead before the earth can make more oil.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 02:34 PM   #26
LeonardS

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
Burner,

It’s true, the Earth IS an oil producing machine but only in the long run. It takes millions of years for the Earth to make oil. Unfortunately, in the long run we will all be dead before the earth can make more oil.

David Serrano
We don’t have to wait for it to make more, we have plenty available to us now. Drill, drill, drill!
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 02:38 PM   #27
gdmn852

Hello, the gas price increases remind me somewhat of the early 1970,s maybe the government will revert to even odd fueling again, remember that, could only buy gas depending on last digit on license plate?
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 02:42 PM   #28
TomInCologne

I tried to buy some 10l (roughly 3 gallons) gas canisters today. Chose them on Amazon but thought i would order them after breakfast. Got online after breakfast, all sold out. Had another look this evening, again some available at 30% higher price, delivery middle of April.

things that make you go hmmmmmm...
TomInCologne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 02:45 PM   #29
gdmn852

Also the wood to alcohol plants were here in Pennsylvania up until the 1940,s they produced wood alcohol, and other chemicals were made for industrial use. I don’t think any are in current use today, also called acid plants they would consume massive amounts of wood.
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 03:57 PM   #30
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
We don’t have to wait for it to make more, we have plenty available to us now. Drill, drill, drill!
The problem is that whatever oil we extract in the US and Alaska will probably go on the international market rather that the US market because the oil companies can make more money by shipping it to Japan, China and other countries that don’t have oil. The oil companies have no incentive to solve our domestic oil problems.

The domestic auto companies also convince us we need gas guzzling SUV’s and big trucks or muscle cars with 700 HP so we can go 90 and 100 mph on the freeways and 60 to 70 mph on surface streets.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 06:07 PM   #31
LeonardS

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
The problem is that whatever oil we extract in the US and Alaska will probably go on the international market rather that the US market because the oil companies can make more money by shipping it to Japan, China and other countries that don’t have oil. The oil companies have no incentive to solve our domestic oil problems.

The domestic auto companies also convince us we need gas guzzling SUV’s and big trucks or muscle cars with 700 HP so we can go 90 and 100 mph on the freeways and 60 to 70 mph on surface streets.

David Serrano
Maybe. Big trucks are more necessary in our rural State. And battery powered vehicles aren’t a great solution for us because they won’t be very efficient at holding a charge at 30-40 degrees below zero. I don’t like the idea of $5.00 gas, but that’s more palatable than trying to make electric vehicles work here. I am in favor of a State owned refinery here. The oil is here, so let’s refine it rather than pumping crude oil all over. I’m sure it’s not that simple, but it’s probably not that complicated either. Your needs in California are probably much different.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 06:12 PM   #32
40 Deluxe

You don't need wood to run a gasifier! I read of a family in Australia who traveled across the Outback during WWII by burning cow chips they picked up along the way. Eat more beef! Drink more milk! There's your fuel supply!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 06:32 PM   #33
Patrick L.

We have a century or more of crude along the eastern slope. We were the largest supplier of crude 2 years ago and therefore beholding to no one. 'Green' is not what its hyped up to be and won't be for another 20 years. Drill baby.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 10:34 PM   #34
Brad in Germany

There is an excellent web site based in Switzerland that has lots and lots of information, videos, useful links, etc, etc on wood gasifiers: https://holzgas.ch/ford-model-a.shtml

As for making a wood gasifier yourself, this web site in the USA has lots of great information, drawings, photos, etc: http://www.driveonwood.com .

Brad in Maryland
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 09:24 AM   #35
slatgrille

Nice trip through the mountains in those videos. Liked seeing the Corvette's and especially the Ingo bike club! If you're not familiar with those, look it up. I introduced my students to it while teaching them about reciprocating engines.

Craig
slatgrille is offline   Reply With Quote