Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
flat-v8

Default Truck tonnage license plate

Years ago I bought one of these at a swapmeet for $5.00 just because it was cool looking! It is a tiny 5" long tonnage plate, my '36 is a 1\2 ton P\U, but there are plates for 1 1\2 ton, 2 ton, 2 1\2 ton and 3 ton. My question is, where does it go? On the bed, on the license tag? or on the frame? This one just sold on Ebay yesterday & I about fell outta my seat! Holy crap, $163 dollars? Some people have way too much money!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (11.1 KB, 64 views)
flat-v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
expavr

Default Re: Truck tonnage license plate

I can't answer your question about the tag, but my tonner had a stencil painted on the door "Under 10,000 Gross Weight" that the original owner put there. I've seen similar markings on other vintage trucks which leads me to believe that it was important to have some sort of weight identification clearly visible for inspection purposes. Maybe someone knowledgeable on such things can jump in on this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truck8.jpg (88.6 KB, 15 views)
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
Seth Swoboda

I don't have an answer for you but that is a really interesting accesory. I like it.

I get a laugh how they always advertise anything as "rat rod" on fleabay. $163 seems outrageous but I am always amazed at what people will pay for anything.

I was at a swap meet this past Sunday and a vendor had a southwind heater mostly complete but it was missing a few parts. The condition was good and the finish was nice. The man had a tag on it that said "make offer". He saw me looking at it and asked if I knew anything about Southwind Heaters. I gave him the break down on them. He asked me what it was worth? I then said tell me what you want for it. He told me that someone told him it was worth $700. I smiled then offered up $50 considering it had parts missing. He passed. The man then asked me what I was into? I told him early Ford 1928-1948 mostly original. He then told me he had a model A wheel and tire for sale. I looked at it. It was a 30-31 wheel with and old hard tire on it for $100. Wheel needed blasted and painted and tire thrown away. I'm guessing he will have this stuff for a while.
Seth Swoboda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
expavr

"I get a laugh how they always advertise anything as "rat rod" on fleabay. $163 seems outrageous but I am always amazed at what people will pay for anything. "

I found a pristine 30's Packard wall mount thermometer at an antique store and after haggling with the seller got it for $85.00. I handed it off to a friend who has a booth at Hershey to sell for me. He stuck a $350.00 price tag on it and it sold the first day of the meet. He later saw it at another vendor's booth with a $500.00 price tag. Like many deals in this hobby supply and demand and a large checkbook balance seem to motivate the buyers.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by expavr View Post
"I get a laugh how they always advertise anything as "rat rod" on fleabay. $163 seems outrageous but I am always amazed at what people will pay for anything. "

I found a pristine 30's Packard wall mount thermometer at an antique store and after haggling with the seller got it for $85.00. I handed it off to a friend who has a booth at Hershey to sell for me. He stuck a $350.00 price tag on it and it sold the first day of the meet. He later saw it at another vendor's booth with a $500.00 price tag. Like many deals in this hobby supply and demand and a large checkbook balance seem to motivate the buyers.
I agree. Profit is profit and if you can get it, then all the better.
Seth Swoboda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
Jason in TX

I saw that thing on eBay and thought it was neat until it got over $25.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
Henry/Kokomo

Can't aqnswer your specific question about the tonnage plate BUT I suspect it goes on or near to your license plate. Many years ago Indiana had generic truck plates. You bought a plate for your truck and there was a narrow (maybe 1-1/2" wide and as long as the regular license plate) metal plate that bolted to the top two or bottom two holes on the vehicles license plate with a GVW rating. The higher the GVW the plate, the more it cost. I believe there may have been some exception(s) for farm trucks, but I wouldn't swear to it. Hope this helps.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by expavr View Post

A few years ago, they were selling that Packard thermometer, new. I bet it was a reproduction. I think it was $15.00 - $20.00.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #9
Gary in La.

I know that Wisconsin in the '40's and '50's had to have the weight painted on the side of the truck somewhere. On our '50 ford F-2 it was on the driver side of the bed and had to be a certain size.
Gary in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #10
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in La. View Post
I know that Wisconsin in the '40's and '50's had to have the weight painted on the side of the truck somewhere. On our '50 ford F-2 it was on the driver side of the bed and had to be a certain size.
Actually all the way through (at least) 1975 in WI. I recall, name, city and empty weight... 2" tall characters, minimum.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:53 PM   #11
Cecil/WV

It is still a requirement on all heavy trucks nationwide. or should I say all commercial trucks?
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #12
blucar

Most states license trucks based on their "unladen weight" i.e. empty and the Gross Vehicle Weight, GVW.. Many years ago the majority of the states required that the licensed weight be clearly visible on the vehicle.. A half ton pickup generally had "Under 5,000 Lb" stenciled on the door, bed or tailgate.. As the allowed tonage went up the number on the door, etc., increased.. A one tone was 10,000.
When the usage of pickups changed, the majority being used for RV's, the requirement to display the licensed max load was stopped..
Generally speaking a pickup, etc., that is used as an RV can be, and is, licensed as a passenger vehicle, regardless of how heavy the vehicle is..
Commercial vehicles 12,000 and heavier generally must display their weight capacity, via a decal type of sticker on the door. In some cases the maximum weight must be shown in letters 2" high..
When traveling across the country, from state to state, towing trailers and/or carrying a load, even on a pickup, it is a good idea to stop at the first "Port of Entry/Weight Station" that is encountered to check on that states laws..
A friend of mine got in a world of hurt pulling his enclosed car trailer behind his large motor home.. He was over the state limit in the state he had just entered.. He had to hire a truck to take his trailer across the state...