Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-11-2015, 04:07 PM   #1
Hot Rod Reverend

Default Aerostar Springs and the bump stops?

For all of you running the Aerostar Coil Springs on a 54-56 Ford Passenger Car front end, did you keep, cut, or lose your bumpstops since the frame will sit a few inches lower?
Old 01-11-2015, 05:39 PM   #2
miker98038

Default Re: Aerostar Springs and the bump stops?

My birds a little lighter, and the engine a bit back, but I didn't change anything but the springs, initially. Since the Aerostars are a progressive rate, you get a great ride on the little bumps, but the big ones get into the higher rate and the car never bottoms. I know, never say never. I think I saw something in your post about the Mustang (?) rubber seats that are going to raise them a bit? If so, I don't think it'll be a problem even with more weight up front.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:30 PM   #3
Y-Blockhead

I cut mine on the Ranchwagon, figured it would be better to have a little cush then a clunk.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:36 PM   #4
bobss396

The progressive rate is the beauty of the Aerostar springs. I have the stock bumps on my '59, but having it running is still months away.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:43 PM   #5
guthriesmith

I cut the ones on my 56 in half to have more travel. I had them out for a while when I had blocks instead of the Aerostar springs and definitely had a hard hit! But, the stops are too tall to have much travel full height with the new springs.
guthriesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:27 PM   #6
Hivolt5.0

I actually installed polyurethane spring isolators on the Aerostar springs to give me back a little height on my Ranchero. Without them the frame was resting on the factory bump stops. By adding the spring isolators it gave me an inch of clearance between the frame and isolators. Much better ride and it still has a nice stance.
Hivolt5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:39 PM   #7
Talkwrench

Does anyone have a before and after with Aerostar springs on a 55 - 56 fairlane ( townie pref) ?
Old 01-23-2015, 01:26 AM   #8
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkwrench View Post
Does anyone have a before and after with Aerostar springs on a 55 - 56 fairlane ( townie pref) ?
This should keep you busy for a while,lot's of pictures http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...d-merc.260795/
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:43 AM   #9
Blackpearleb434

You can lower these cars without buying new springs or shocks and retain the smooth ride, all you need are 12 high tensile bolts and some flat bar. Remove the 6 rivets on the lower control arm spring retainer ( I had the control arms off when I did this), once this is done cut the flat bar to length ( I use 3mm thick buy 25mm wide ) using the spring retainer as the template, place the flat bar pieces between the spring retainer and control arm and re fix it using the high tensile bolts, I have found that with all the standard springs and using 2 of the 3mm spacers (6mm) it drops the front by about an inch, Obviously the more spacers you use the lower it goes... I put up to 20mm ( used ally bar) and it dropped it two and a half inches which then hit the bump stops and was too low for me .... The Bueaty of this way is you can adjust it to the correct hieght you want with out worrying about having to buy different springs you can change the spacer hieght when the control arm is fitted.
Blackpearleb434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:00 AM   #10
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearleb434 View Post
You can lower these cars without buying new springs or shocks and retain the smooth ride, all you need are 12 high tensile bolts and some flat bar. Remove the 6 rivets on the lower control arm spring retainer ( I had the control arms off when I did this), once this is done cut the flat bar to length ( I use 3mm thick buy 25mm wide ) using the spring retainer as the template, place the flat bar pieces between the spring retainer and control arm and re fix it using the high tensile bolts, I have found that with all the standard springs and using 2 of the 3mm spacers (6mm) it drops the front by about an inch, Obviously the more spacers you use the lower it goes... I put up to 20mm ( used ally bar) and it dropped it two and a half inches which then hit the bump stops and was too low for me .... The Bueaty of this way is you can adjust it to the correct hieght you want with out worrying about having to buy different springs you can change the spacer hieght when the control arm is fitted.
Like these? http://www.butchscoolstuff.com/49-56...ing-kits-2400/ They do work but I know guys that swapped to the Aerostar springs from these and liked the ride and handling much better.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:04 AM   #11
Blackpearleb434

I suppose if all depends on how low you go and how much travel your left with, with the blocks you pictured the control arm bump stops would be pretty close to the chassis, I tried that size!!!... See picture, so I decided on the 6mm spacer with standard springs as you still have the travel and smooth ride, I used Monroe gt gas reflex shocks which firmed up the ride nicely

image.jpg
Blackpearleb434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:14 AM   #12
Y-Blockhead

Blackpearl, Your car is upside down!! Oh, I see now, your from Australia.

Anyway, I've had my '55 Ranchwagon both both setups and the Aerostar springs are MUCH better. Reason being Aerostar springs are progressive woond and the stock spring is straight wound.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:11 PM   #13
JeffB2

The sway bar end links do not look quite right to me,here is how to measure for the correct length:http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...-End-Links.asp When you change ride height this should be checked.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:17 AM   #14
Talkwrench

Thank you gentlemen !