Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-04-2013, 11:59 PM   #21
1932 V8

Default Re: Confession

I am 45 years old and When I am in an old Ford , I am in heaven . I want the bias ply's , the firm ride , the flathead sound and smells , no power anything and on and on ....... It is just heaven . New cars have a place but I do not want my old cars to drive like a new car . No modern old cars for me. If I could drive something old everyday I would . Now maybe when another 30 years pass I may want some more comforts in my cars but I am not so sure . It is hard to describe but behind the wheel of an old Ford with my better half sitting next to me is just where I am meant to be . I wish I was financially able to have a few more nice stock old Fords in my stable for our driving and viewing pleasure .
1932 V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #22
1937pickup

A lot of good advice on improving the ride-I think radials are in order. One thing that can't be fixed is the short wheel base-makes the truck "rock" on the road. I do drive it and use it-it is time to clean up leaves. I use the truck to haul the leaves to the re-cycling center. The woman always get a charge out of the truck. I have to drive it at 65 to get to the re-cycling center. That is when I have to be on my game driving-it moves around on its own.
1937pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #23
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1932 V8 View Post
I am 45 years old and When I am in an old Ford , I am in heaven . I want the bias ply's , the firm ride , the flathead sound and smells , no power anything and on and on ....... It is just heaven . New cars have a place but I do not want my old cars to drive like a new car ..
Right on bro. I love them bone stock and authentic as possible. Driving down the road 45 mph in my unrestored 1937 Ford is the best pay off on these cars. I drove to one of the Whiting (Indiana) Cruise Nights during the summer, and when I got there I decided that I did not want to park my car and talk about cars so I drove clear through the event and just kept on going. I went for a ride in my old Ford instead.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #24
woodypecker

My truck takes me to a spirtual place I can not go to without it.
woodypecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #25
1942deluxe

I'm a little biased as I run a small Ford dealership but I think the new vehicles are safer and more reliable in almost every aspect. That said I don't see many of todays vehicles being restored 50 or 60 years from now. I just bought a 1948 Ford business coupe (nice driver). When I drive it I feel like I'm 17 years old again and not much does that for me anymore! It also takes me back to a time where it was a much more fun moral world in my opinion.
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #26
Clem Clement

I love drivin my '39 peeekup. She slides thru the air like a barn door. Most of the rattles are gone, now it is the howl of a '35 tranny and a loose uni. The heater works so winter is fun as well. We have a one day tour coming up. I need to see if the block leak cured its self.

I have a problem you guys don't seem to have...my problem is the womens keep pestering me and I can't focus nor hear. Maybe I aughta wear a mask...
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #27
41panelmark

Love mine, drive the heck out of it all over and on the highways too. I have bias/radials on mine makes a big difference. Yes it rattles and squeaks a bit and can be a pain occasionally but it is fun to drive and I am thankful for my new cars when I am done for the day.
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #28
kiwitony

as Brian and others have said radials make a huge difference and stop that[ it's moving around on its own feeling] even if you can borrow a set for a test drive before spending the bucks.As for the seat it will be the lack of lumber support that's hurting your back, a good upholsterer should be able to sort that.Also driving an old car is all about the journey and not the destination,stop and smell the roses,look at the scenery and stretch the back more often. I recently did an 800 mile round trip in my 37 pickup and loved it, still getting the back straight[ haha ] but had much more fun than in a modern. Tony.
kiwitony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:08 AM   #29
tiger.1000

There's something very. very satisfying having spent hours; days or even weeks pulling a carburettor apart for the umpteenth time and finally, FINALLY getting the old girl to start AND drive...
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #30
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

Every Monday we do Meals on Wheels and I drive my 35 Pickup most of the time. I do enjoy doing that. The truck preform very well with about 20 stops. I like to drive my Junkers whenever I can. In my small town I am the only one that likes to drive there old cars.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #31
johnh7

I really enjoy the experience of my 1938 Ford Pickup with 85hp flathead. From working on it [never ending job] to driving it, I love it. Maybe because it is the vehicle I learned to drive in 49 years ago [I was 13]. I loved driving it by myself on old logging roads and I took it amazing places. I drove it down abandon roads over 3 to 4 inch trees that had grown in the road and even over fallen trees. I built ramps out of branches and stones and run up and over them. I once got stuck high centered on one and it took me hours to get it off with just a bumper jack. I took it amazing places. The low weight to horsepower ratio and low compression really let me take it places that four wheel drive vehicle owners wondered at. It climbed steep loose hills better than they did because it was not spinning out. If I knew I would inherit it and love it so much, I would have taken better care of it. As it is I lucked out, my mother kept it and then when I was 35 she gave it to me. It sat in my garage for over 20 years before I ever seriously worked on it, but I had kids and a career then. Now I can't seem to stop playing with it. I still haven't done the body work and paint job, but it has been completely rewired and rebuilt and it runs great. I enjoy driving it now as much as I did when I first learned to drive in it, but I don’t take it to the same kinds of places.

Live for today, but save for tomorrow!
johnh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #32
Mtn Wudy

I too love"OldCars" but sometime I feel like a stitting duck out on the highway....We have a Bright Orange 71 VW Convertable too..Like the Woodie it runs good and can keep up with the pack...I told my wife I felt like a Fishing Lure out there on the highway,just waiting for a Kenworth to gobble me up..! To buy the Woodie I sold my whole collection of Model Ts so I guess I'm moving up in the world....Everybody drive safe out there ,,Ya Hear ! Carl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (36.2 KB, 23 views)
Old 12-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #33
peewee2you

I agree with Seth, it's the hunt for the parts, back in the day I was subjected to the local swap meets, some wrecking yards and very few I may ad that might have even had parts for cars of this era, at local swap meets you were stuck if they had the part the price could be set as a wrestling match between you and the seller, he had it,you want or needed it, but he wanted to get rich knowing that you weren't going to probably find it, and now with the interweb you can pretty much get what you need at a reasonable price and not have to make snap decisions or be held over a barrel. I enjoy the restoration process, taking something from being broke down, sitting somewhere to rot and bringing it back to life. I learned early on in life I was better at repairing, restoring more than I ever was at actually using any of whatever it was I was working on. I had bought my 47 some 35yrs ago, because it was old, it was cool, and I just have to have it I love old cars, I'm a car guy. It sat and I collected parts long over time, and I had it in this shop some 29yrs later than that shop and I still wasn't happy with the over all look and how it ran, finally deciding to get back to wrenching, been married, raised the kids, fixed the house, and now wanted to get back to what I enjoyed most working on cars, so I took it apart, blasted parts, painted, hunted put it back together and then drove it after some 34yrs for the 1st time ever, and although it drives with effort, and is a bit rigid and rough, I love it. Now all that being said, most of us have to realize and understand it that we are all at different stages of our lives, and that some of us move better than others, or are encountering health issues etc. and so at times it gets more difficult to operate your loved vehicle, and even the restoration or a small repair can sometimes seem to be an effort, I aplaud 1937pickup for his honesty, and understand what and how he feels, but that's also the beauty that you take the ol' car out for a drive once in awhile and drive our modern cars of comfortability most other time, and be good with just that. I am an individual that to be pc correct these days is physically challenged and have been my whole life, so driving my 47 and working on it is not easy, but I do some here and there when I am up to it, and eventually get the job done. I realize a time may come when, I won't want to see the car sit in one spot too long, and may have to part with it, so someone else can enjoy it, and keep it up and on the road, but for now wether I'm driving it or just sitting in it, I'm proud of my work, and the fact that I took ownership of this vehicle 35yrs ago, with 3 flat tires, and the flathead in the trunk and after all those yrs got it back together and on the road and running again and its all stock. I have toy'd with the idea of modernizing the brakes making them power for more of a saftey issue for me myself. My 2 cents.
peewee2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #34
Tom Walker

I love every thing about my old Ford except the way it goes down the road with a mind of its own!
I am a newbie here really, but my own opinion is that the best thing you can do to improve this is to fit a Panhard rod to the front end. I run bias ply tires on my 18" wheels, and I'm sure radials would help with the "wandering" for those with wheels that can fit them, but a Panhard rod really makes a massive difference.
I am going to fit one shortly, and will post the method and report the effect.
Cheers, Tom.
Tom Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #35
Reisterstown Ray

Wink Re: Confession

I read the post by Louisb and got a warm tingle up my leg. RR
Reisterstown Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #36
37fordpickup

Mine has been sitting in different garages for way too many years as we moved several times. The frame is cleaned up and painted, cable brakes are back on, rebuilt 24 stud is installed and a new radiator will be here Tuesday. Next is a new gas tank. Right now I have god set of bias play rollers which are labeled, "Not for highway use." I need to start cleaning up the cab and get it ready to put back on the frame. Maybe by next summer it will be on the road.
37fordpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #37
KansasV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
All valid points. Modern automobiles have made driving so much easier, "passive" so to speak. You really don't have to think about much except traffic.

Even with all the inconveniences of these early Fords, I still enjoy enjoy the experience. Actually, I enjoy the process of the restoration more. It's the hunt for the parts and the repair and build process that I really enjoy. Still there is just something mystic about early motoring. Like a trip back in time before everyone had to drive 75 mph and slam on the breaks at every stop. I don't need air ride, air conditioning, gps and power everything. Just a well built flathead is all I need to listen too.
I find a drive in an old Ford very relaxing. My Wife and I took the Model A Coupe out for a Christmas Eve drive. The 6 volt head lights lighting the way for a 30 MPH drive. Very enjoyable. I especially like to take the 34 truck on errands to town 30 miles away. Just something about going 30-40 MPH instead of 75. Granted we stay off the major hiways but state roads and county gravel are what these things were built for. I remember my first time of driving a vehicle totally alone at the age of 9 moving the 39 Ford 1 ton to a field 2 miles away and the rumble of the 85 with the straight pipe going up the hill! Still have the 39, It has done better over the almost 50 years since that day than I have!
KansasV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:38 AM   #38
49r

Getting into my stock F1 after spending 12 hour days on a tractor, including large distances on open roads, was like hopping into a Rolls Royce. I love being able to visit 1949 - we each choose where to draw the yardstick line ...
49r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:12 AM   #39
BLACKNRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Any pickup is like that. Get a coupe or a sedan and feel the comfort of a seat designed to sit in! Real steel coil springs and lots of puffy cotton, designed for comfort, not like the seats in a modern car. Take a trip and get out for gas, you don't creak and groan like you would in a modern car either!
Hear Hear.

I just finished a 700 mile round trip in my 38, totally comfortable and a pleasure to drive, sure I have done a few mods to improve ride and drive ability.
BLACKNRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #40
tubman

I have had my '51 Club coupe for almost 30 years. I drive it as much as I can in the summer. About 15 years ago, I got the '36 three window coupe I always wanted; 286 Merc, hydraulic brakes, nice interior etc. etc. After it was done I drove it quite a bit. After the novelty wore off, it became obvious to me that the '51 was a superior automobile, and I found myself taking it and leaving the '36 in the garage. I finally got an offer I couldn't refuse and sold it. My main problem with the '36 was that it was very cramped inside. I am not overly large (6', 225), but I could never get comfortable in that car. I took it apart to see if I could move the seat back, but I would have had to screw up the nice upholstery, so I left it alone. This problem may be related to the fact it was a 3-window; other body styles may be better. A friend of mine has a '37 Dodge pickup. that I don't fit into at all. He's 5'7" and weighs about 150 and has no problem. People were just smaller back in those days and the cars reflected it.

I prefer driving the '51 to just about anything else I own. The F-150 is to high, the Corvette is too low, and the old lady's Kia is.. well, a Kia; the '51 is just right.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote