Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #21
Jerry Parr WI

Default Re: Seat Belts ?

First off let me say that I think anything that keeps you from being thrown out of a vehicle in an accident is better than nothing.

Although it only affects Wisconsin I find this excerpt from the Wisconsin department of Motor Vehicles laws interesting.

"347.48 Safety belts and child safety restraint systems.
(2) TYPE AND MANNER OF INSTALLING. All such safety belts
must be of a type and must be installed in a manner approved by
the department.The department shall establish specifications and
requirements for approved types of safety belts and attachments
thereto.
The department will accept, as approved, all seat belt
installations and the belt and anchor meeting the society of automotive
engineers’ specifications."

I don't see this as having a big impact on what anyone does with their own car but it seems to create a large liability if you sell a car that you installed belts in or installed them for others. How about if you give a friend a ride and have an accident? Approved belts would be easy but how do you get approved anchors and attachments?
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #22
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
I can disconnect it for car shows. No one seems to see the eyebolt hidden behind the door post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford46 View Post
The Early Ford V8 Club of America treats seatbelts as a safety item. At national meets no concourse points are/should be deducted for having them installed.LouB.
I know this but still don't like the looks of anything in my car that interferes with the authenticity of what it was really like in its day - to take one back to that time. So, I take them out for the benefit of the viewers.

Last edited by Old Henry; 05-20-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #23
charles in east texas

I just finished installing a pair in my 53 four door. 2belt retractables they were.
Purchased from www.seatbeltsplus.com
Charles
charles in east texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #24
CaliforniaBorn36

Not only do they provide for a safer experience, also a quieter one. Since I installed seat belt, the noise on the passenger side of the car seems to have decreased. Safety will always win out.
CaliforniaBorn36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #25
flat-v8

I put in some airplane seat belts in mine, they look cool, old style, and they are really cheap!
flat-v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #26
KansasV8

You guys are funny. How did we ever survive life before 1980? As a small child in the late 50's I rode almost every mile standing on the edge of the front seat with my hands on the dash watching the road! How did we survive without big sugar daddy big government? I would never deface my old Ford with modern seat belts. I don't wear the ones in my 2012 Ford either. Got them hooked together behind the seat to stop the damned buzzer.
KansasV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:55 PM   #27
36Bill

A friend of mine died when he ended up under the car he was driving, he didn't use the seat belts that were there. The passenger was belted in but couldn't roll the car off of his friend, he walked away. Dean was a small child in the 50's like you but never saw the 80's.
I use my seat belts.

Bill
36Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #28
41panelmark

I have 3 pt retractables in mine. Better than nothing, I have seen what happens when you don't have em, not pretty.
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:05 PM   #29
Scott H in Wheaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat-v8 View Post
I put in some airplane seat belts in mine, they look cool, old style, and they are really cheap!
Like these?
seat belts.jpg
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:26 PM   #30
Brian

I find that driving my old Ford V8 without seatbelts no more dangerous than riding a motorcycle either with or without a helmet!! In fact, probably a damn side safer!! Heck, it's got rod brakes too!!
And, I do not consider this to be irresponsible in any way. We've gone a long way together, the two of us.....
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:10 AM   #31
oldford2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford2 View Post
Here is my installation. Front seat has to come out to install but that will give you a chance to lube the slide rails. The rear seat footrest hides the anchor bolts for a neat installation

john'
I got mine from J C Whitney
J C Whitney
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:19 AM   #32
Model A Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasV8 View Post
You guys are funny. How did we ever survive life before 1980? As a small child in the late 50's I rode almost every mile standing on the edge of the front seat with my hands on the dash watching the road! How did we survive without big sugar daddy big government? I would never deface my old Ford with modern seat belts. I don't wear the ones in my 2012 Ford either. Got them hooked together behind the seat to stop the damned buzzer.
Remember the seat belts is designed to work both ways.If you do something to cause a accident it should help.And when the other driver causes a accident due to Texting, eating,applying makeup,reading the paper,talking on the phone,the list could go on forever,hopefully they will help then also
Want to cure yourself of not wearing a seatbelt.Join your local fire Department or rescue squad and show up to a few serious MVA's.Check out the what a seatbelt can and cannot due
Model A Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:25 AM   #33
Steves46

I have the JC Whitney lap belts in both my 46 Coupe and 55 F-100. Granted it may not be as effective as shoulder belts but something is better than nothing at all.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:40 AM   #34
bbrust

If my wife and I were not wearing seat belts when the drunk hit us head on, I wouldn't be replying to this email. The drunk wasn't wearing his belt and his life ended at 26.
bbrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #35
flat-v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H in Wheaton View Post
Like these?
Attachment 123175
Mine look more like these, passenger seat belts from major airlines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg airplane seatbelt.jpg (20.0 KB, 39 views)
flat-v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #36
done4

Send a message via Yahoo to done4

Period correct, NO, in this day and age of driving, Necessity.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #37
37 Coupe

Nothing I see is mentioned about rumble seat safety,if that is even possible. I don't have a rumble seat car presently but remember when I did have a 30 Model A and how my brother and I would load it up with our toddlers and drive all over without a thought. I really never consider much about the safety factor but the last few years Old Cars weekly has had several news stories of tragic accidents in most instances Model A roadsters. One of the most dangerous places to be in a Model A it seems is leaving a car show or cruise in front of a muscle car or street rod that you are slowing down. Now this is the thing that surprised me,in a rumble seat car hit from behind injury is not so much rear impact into the passengers , but neck or head injuries from the rumble seat lid slamming shut,especially small folk. How could you make this safer? Sure was a lot more fun years ago when this was never thought of or someone behind you was not texting. My wife and I are the only ones that ride in my 37 coupe, grandson is not allowed yet,by the time he is I probably won't be able to drive,neighbor kids are not allowed to go anywhere because their parents want me to not only have seatbelts but airbags also. Same thing was with my brothers 57 T-Bird , he had seat belts but no kids were allowed to ride in it because of no airbags. Couple of my old car buddies have opted for new Mustangs.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #38
bwood53

Exclamation Re: Seat Belts ?

Hell ya you should have them. Take it from me. took my son w me to get tires. Started to rain. Slid off road. Threw myself in front of him. He got a scratch. I put my head through window. Right arm dented pass side of dash. Was only going a couple of miles to tire shop. Seatbelts are a must. Lap belt is ok. I guess. Its 2013... use a good 3 point belt if poss. Good luck. Happy and safe motoring.
bwood53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #39
bigvince

Having worked for the Big 3 and talked with many safety engineers, I know seat belts generally have a pretty solid anchor point - not simply a bolt and washer through the floor. Has anybody welded a flat steel anchor across the bottom of the floor and then run the bolts through holes drilled through the steel? Seems to me this is a better anchor point...
bigvince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #40
The Hot Rod Grille

I purchased a set from Juliano's with the lift-latch and roller retractors. They have them in a wide variety of colors to match nearly any interior. As stated by others, buy the large mounting plates that go under the car to anchor the belts securely. You don't want a small fender washer that could pull through the floor in an accident.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '34 interior #1.jpg (53.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg '34 interior #2.jpg (60.5 KB, 52 views)
The Hot Rod Grille is offline   Reply With Quote