Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-19-2020, 07:24 PM   #1
msstring

Default Headlights

Hi guys! There's probably a hundred strings on this topic but this is easier LOL.
What do you all recommend for 6V headlights? I want LED but I see a lot halogen kits on Amazon. Ideas?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited by msstring; 06-19-2020 at 07:37 PM.
msstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:53 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: Headlights

The halogen lamps are known to draw a lot more current than stock lamps. Not certain what charging system you have or how good it does its job.
Something to consider when making your decision.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:52 PM   #3
msstring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
The halogen lamps are known to draw a lot more current than stock lamps. Not certain what charging system you have or how good it does its job.
Something to consider when making your decision.
Good to know, I have the original charging system so would rather not draw more power.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:59 PM   #4
Black Fifty

This is a recent thread and quite thorough. I'd recommend checking that one out if you haven't already.

Mike

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...dim+headlights
Black Fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:51 AM   #5
blucar

You did not mention in your write up if you were referring to original reflector type lights or sealed beams.
The reflector '39 and earlier lights are a real pain to work with. I converted the headlights on my '36 to sealed beams in 1952 using a conversion for truck lights and '36 trk bezels. My lights don't have the '36 "bug eyed" look, but they work great.
I got rid of the original switch on the bottom of the steering gears in favor of a dash mounted pull switch and a floor mounted dimmer. I also wired in a relay in lieu of direct wiring, the relay cut down voltage draw and made the 6v lights very bright.
I have driven my car for thousands of miles over rural highways in all kinds of weather.
I have a '39 conv that I converted over to halogen head lights, big mistake, the halogen bulbs don't work with the prism's in the lens, lots of un-directed light. I am in the process of converting the '39 back to bulbs, having reflectors nickle plated, securing new sockets and using Ron Francis 'Bright Bulbs.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:41 AM   #6
msstring

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am working on a 1950 F3 currantly has sealed beam lights. I ordered the bulbs from LEDLights per the thread that Black 50 shared and I ordered a set of Octane Lighting H4 lights. They come with Halogen bulbs but I will use the LED bulbs instead. What I liked about the Octane Lighting lenses is that they have amber LED inserts at the bottom. I am hoping that works out, I need new turn signal lights anyway and this will take care of that. I am already planning to convert the tail lights, brake lights and turn signals to 12 V through a 6V to 12V converter. Not quite ready to do the full 12V conversion yet.