Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-07-2014, 07:44 AM   #1
cjc56

Default sealer or not on oil pan gasket

Back to the old topic: Do you use sealer or not on the oil pan gasket and do you use it on both mating surfaces. I have heard so many pros and cons about this topic on newer engines but I now have to put a gasket on my 56 312. What procedure is correct for the 312 and if sealer is used, what is the best kind of sealer and where is the sealer applied? I am using the Felpro cork gasket that comes in their engine gasket kit.
cjc56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:57 AM   #2
zoegrant

Default Re: sealer or not on oil pan gasket

CJC56......I have used the cork gasket on 292/312 engines with good success....I would recomend thread sealer on the bolts as the oil can spiral down the threads and drip off the bolt heads.I have never used s a sealer on the pan or the block but I feel that it would be a good idea to put it on one or the other but not both in case you had to drop the pan again....just my 2 cents worth.........J in CT
zoegrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #3
Ford blue blood

I use Permatex non hardening sealer on the pan rail only and that is to make sure it stays in place while installing.

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:38 AM   #4
Ole Don

Clean the block with a scraper, then a 3M pad. Clean the oil pan the same way. Tap the bolt holes down over a vice opened to about three inches. When the pan surface is clean and dry, put a small stripe of yellow 3M trim cement on it, and put the gasket in place and give it a few minutes to dry in place. When the gasket no longer wants to move, put some WD 40 on the top of it. Now the new gasket will seal if you dont over tighten the bolts, and it will come off clean the next time.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
y'sguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Don View Post
Tap the bolt holes down over a vice opened to about three inches.
Not sure what you are writing here?
y'sguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #6
dmsfrr

Originally Posted by Ole Don
Tap the bolt holes down over a vice opened to about three inches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by y'sguy View Post
Not sure what you are writing here?
If the oil pan bolts have ever been over-tightened the sheet metal flange around the bolt holes will be dimpled up toward the block. This will cause oil leaks past the gasket between the bolt holes and/or a crushed leaking gasket under the bolt heads.
Ole Don is recommending (and me too) that the dimples be carefully hammered back down to create a good flat surface on the gasket flange of the pan.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 11-07-2014 at 12:32 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #7
cjc56

So the overall advise seems to be to NOT put sealer on the gasket to block but to put it just on the gasket to pan after straightening the pan lip. I will go with that unless some one has other advise. Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!
cjc56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #8
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjc56 View Post
So the overall advise seems to be to NOT put sealer on the gasket to block but to put it just on the gasket to pan after straightening the pan lip. I will go with that unless some one has other advise. Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!
Yes.
Cleaning an old gasket off the oil pan out from under the car is MUCH easier than working over your head under the car to scrape sealer off the block.
IF you're really wanting something on the block surface of the gasket a thin film of oil, grease or something that will come off real easy is good.
Same deal with the valve cover gaskets, glue them to the cover only and several years from now you can scrape the old gaskets out on your workbench, instead of accidentally losing pieces of crud in the heads and making your back sore leaning over the fenders for longer.

Use good thick washers on the oil pan bolts so they stay flat too. If they're already bent hammer them flat or get newer/better ones. If they're still curved a bit put the center high side to the bolt head. Don't over-tighten or you'll end up back where you started.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 11-07-2014 at 10:10 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:26 PM   #9
Ole Don

I like the 3m trim adhesive on the pan and rocker covers, then WD40 on the gasket. I have been using the same rocker cover gaskets for years. On the pan bolts, when tightening the bolts, watch the gasket. As soon as if starts to come out next to the bolt, stop. Check them later with 1/4 drive.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:55 PM   #10
Blackpearleb434

Not sure if anyone mentioned to put thread sealer on the two bolts on the rear main seal housing as they aren't captive like the rest of the bolts holes and go through to the dump
Blackpearleb434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 12:00 AM   #11
Blackpearleb434

Sorry... I mean sump!!
Blackpearleb434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #12
A bones

Another area to pay attention to is the fit of the bolts through the gasket. I like to check for over tight holes, modify if (snug fit is good, a need to use excess force not good) necessary. Use the bolts or an X-acto my favorite is an old hand held reamer. Then after straightening panrail and coating with sealer of choice, I use a small wallpaper roller (with four bolts, one near each corner) to seat the gasket to the pan rail. The rest depends on your environment.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:08 AM   #13
oj

I redimple the bolt holes to get them above the rails and coat the rails with permatex ultra seal and set the gasket in place, stick a bolts thru each hole and use small spring clamps to get gasket tight to the oil pan. I let it cure until the next day then install with ultraseal on the gasket to engine block surface (I smear the sealant so that it is thinner to the inside and thickkest outside to minimize sealant into the pan), wipe clean any excess after pulling the bolts up tight.
I hate cork gaskets and try to find rubber or felt, for an odd engine i'd try to locate the marine version and use thier gasket.
oj is offline   Reply With Quote