Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2022, 12:15 AM   #1
1928 Sport Coupe

Default 1928 Model A new to Ford barn.

I recently signed up and thought I would share a picture of my "new car". This is a 1928 Model A Sport coupe. It is not a show car but I think I will have fun with it.
A little history on the car. In the late 70's I worked for the local Ford dealership. The owner & his son restored this car. The dealership closed in the early 80's. The son and I worked together at other Ford dealerships in the area for several years later. After the owner died his son inherited it. I worked on this car and a 1929 Model A Roadster that he had. I maintained it and stored it in my garage.
He would switch them around now and then. I was able to drive either car that was in my garage at the time. Eventually the cars got handed down to his daughter and niece. A few weeks ago I received a phone call about the Sport Coupe. I had been sitting covered in the garage for around 20 years without being driven. The niece offered the car to me. I picked it up a few days later about 2 hours away. I took the previous owner with me to pick it up. We were both surprised with the way it looked. I am still going through the car and hope to get it running soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_5870 (2).jpg (86.1 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by 1928 Sport Coupe; 05-25-2022 at 12:25 AM.
1928 Sport Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:30 AM   #2
al's28/33

Default Re: 1928 Model A new to Ford barn.

Welcome and what a great story. Share more pictures of the engine and interior. Make sure the steering and brakes are safe and fully operable. You know the history already so there should be no surprises.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:15 AM   #3
rotorwrench

Rose beige and seal brown are really nice colors for the Sport Coupe models. Welcome on the Ford Barn forum. There are a several owners of these cars on this forum including myself.

Cars that have set a long time can have a few storage related maladies that may affect them, Fuel setting in tanks for a long time can lead to some pretty ugly crud in the bottom of the tank. The valve chamber will be dry of oil so it's a good idea to remove the distributor and pour a quart in there before cranking the engine on dry main bearings. There can be sticky valves too. plenty of things to consider before returning a car back to the road.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:09 PM   #4
Chuck Dempsey

Welcome to the 'Barn! Good luck with it.....
Chuck Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 04:05 PM   #5
Keith Alvin

There is fella in my area that has one that is very similar to your car. Different color rims. He tried telling me that the car was a Cabriolet. I didn't argue, but I know better than that.
Keith Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:38 PM   #6
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1928 Sport Coupe View Post
I recently signed up and thought I would share a picture of my "new car". This is a 1928 Model A Sport coupe. It is not a show car but I think I will have fun with it.
A little history on the car. In the late 70's I worked for the local Ford dealership. The owner & his son restored this car. The dealership closed in the early 80's. The son and I worked together at other Ford dealerships in the area for several years later. After the owner died his son inherited it. I worked on this car and a 1929 Model A Roadster that he had. I maintained it and stored it in my garage.
He would switch them around now and then. I was able to drive either car that was in my garage at the time. Eventually the cars got handed down to his daughter and niece. A few weeks ago I received a phone call about the Sport Coupe. I had been sitting covered in the garage for around 20 years without being driven. The niece offered the car to me. I picked it up a few days later about 2 hours away. I took the previous owner with me to pick it up. We were both surprised with the way it looked. I am still going through the car and hope to get it running soon.
In Ohio. I'm local chapter member. https://themodelaclub.org/
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:55 PM   #7
1928 Sport Coupe

I already dropped the oil pan to cleanout any sludge. It wasn't bad but I feel better that I cleaned it out. I pressure washed the drive line and chassis. The gas tank was dry as a bone and from the filler neck I do not see any sludge. The odometer only shows 1854 miles since it was restored, but that was 45 to 50 years ago. Today I cleaned and painted the engine and transmission. I have drained all of the fluids so everything will be fresh. The engine turns over easily with the plugs out and has good compression with the plugs in and using the hand crank. I did put a little oil in each of the cylinders and rolled it over by hand several times. I want to go through everything mechanical before I try to start it. I have gone through all of the fuel system except the carb. I will take the carb apart later this week. I hope I can start bolting things back together this weekend.

Could someone help me with attaching photos? Somehow I was able to attach one photo yesterday but I cannot do it today. I keep getting a message about not having a security token.

Last edited by 1928 Sport Coupe; 05-26-2022 at 12:05 AM. Reason: How to attach photos?
Old 05-26-2022, 07:21 AM   #8
rotorwrench

You generally need around 10-posts on this site to get the full use of it. I'm not sure about photos but it's true with the personal messaging or what is referred to as PMs. Being completely logged in can also make a difference. A person has to check the "remember me" box next to the log in boxes to insure a good solid log in.

If it has compression then the valves are working. It sounds like the car was put up for storage fairly well. The fuel system is usually the most problematic system. The cooling system would be next.
Old 05-26-2022, 03:25 PM   #9
katwalk

Clean living creates those opportunities
katwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 11:34 PM   #10
1928 Sport Coupe

I know you have ask for some pictures of the car but I have tried several times to attach pictures but cannot. I have no idea how i managed to get the one attached.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:26 AM   #11
rotorwrench

Use the "Go Advanced" button to gain access to the full posting capability. There is a group of additional options bellow the text posting box. There is an option for attaching documents with a button to click for managing attachments. A person can upload photos or other files by selecting the type of file and document from their phone or computer devices to upload. After selections are made, just click the upload button then submit the post.

There are limits to file size that can be uploaded so some files may have to be reduced is resolution or content to allow the upload. There are various ways to reduce a jpg file without reducing its aspect ratio. Not all photos are jpg files so converting to that type of file will usually make it usable if applicable.
Old 05-30-2022, 11:36 PM   #12
1928 Sport Coupe

I will try to attach pictures again. Received message from the moderator that my pictures may be to large.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_5871 (2) resized .jpg (92.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 100_5873 resized.jpg (86.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 100_5875 resized.jpg (54.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 100_5878 Resized.jpg (51.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 100_5883 Resized.jpg (65.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 100_5888 resized.jpg (79.9 KB, 26 views)
Old 05-30-2022, 11:56 PM   #13
1928 Sport Coupe

OK this seemed to work. maybe I will try a few more.

The first picture is my freshly painted engine. I still have lots to put back together.

The next picture is the Optima Battery hold down I had to make. None of the parts suppliers I normally deal with had them in stock. I started to fit it to a repro battery tray that was in the car. It was twisted. I remembered that I had stashed away a nice original battery tray years ago and used that. The original is much better than the repro, much heavier and the studs are 3/8th compared to 5/16th threaded rod on the repro.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_6023 Resized.jpg (77.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 100_6026 Resized.jpg (74.4 KB, 31 views)
Old 05-31-2022, 05:35 AM   #14
McMimmcs

Welcome to the barn. Ask away and the experts will respond. Enjoy your A.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote