Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-04-2021, 04:25 PM   #1
slatgrille

Default running board length

Hello all,
I'm fairly new and have posted in the 'want' section for various body metal. I've seen used running boards advertised by several people, but the lengths vary. My project is a '29 roadster pick up. It seems board lengths of 44", 44 3/4", and ~39" are available....so, what is the correct length for a '29?

It seems I also need the splash aprons with the hump on the ends if I'm researching correctly.

Thanks for any help.

Craig
slatgrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:01 PM   #2
Mike Peters

Default Re: running board length

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P...earchByKeyword
These are what you need. No rubber mat. Ford script. Parallel sides. No square holes, that's Model T. Yes, the splash aprons with the hump.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:17 AM   #3
slatgrille

Thanks Mike. I'd like to find used ones that may need some work, that's why I asked about length. I'm a 'fix-it' type guy and have rebuilt/restored numerous flat fender jeeps, but now am trying to challenge myself by diversifying the vehicles I build. After 40 years of just jeeps, I was getting bored!

I asked about the running board because I've heard they are different lengths depending on body type and year...is that correct? I'd like to find original metal, but will go repro if I have to. With other projects to do, I'd like to keep material costs down. Labor time is no issue at the moment.

Thanks again.

Last edited by slatgrille; 03-05-2021 at 08:18 AM. Reason: wordy
Old 03-06-2021, 06:02 AM   #4
john charlton

The commercial running boards for the 28/29 pickup open or closed are the same . They are parallel sided and 44 1/2" long and 9 5/8" wide . They have no mounting holes the brackets (2) are spot welded underneath . They are all steel with a diamond pressed in pattern painted black . No rubber mat . There is "made FORD in usa" along the outer edge running fore and aft . Welcome to the world of the wonderful Model "A" Ford !!! I have GPW 67585 which is on the back burner(again) halfway through a 1930 de luxe roadster at the moment .

John in Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:03 AM   #5
slatgrille

Thanks John. Now I need to find original running boards to fix up, same with rear fenders. As for your GPW...I had 3 '42 Script GPW project jeeps years ago. Around here, most everything I found was Ford, seems the Willys were harder to find. When I got my '41 MB slatgrille, I sold all my Ford stuff except for a '41 GP prototype yet to be worked on. It will wait until my A is done as well as a '48 Plymouth Special Deluxe and John Deere H tractor.

Craig