Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2018, 09:57 PM   #21
str8axle63

Default Re: Flathead synchronized 4spd?

Thanks to all who took the time to reply,
Unfortunetly I still don't have an answer, like " yes a t98 from ? Year will bolt up to a 1942 ford flathead 8cyl bellhouse"
I guess its not that easy
str8axle63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:28 PM   #22
42Ford M-H

Unless it has overdrive, none of them will help you go faster. It will only shift easier.

If your interested in going the nv4500 route I would be too. Maybe we could find someone in the north east that would be willing to do the swap.
42Ford M-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:27 AM   #23
rotorwrench

Advance Adapters has info on the swap stuff they make for the NV4500. If going to 4WD, a person would need a drivers side front drop on the transfer case. Ford had some in there pickup line (NP205) but it might have to be adapted depending on where the transmission comes from. Some input shafts might be more adaptable too.

The NV4500 has a granny 1st gear but it also has the 5th gear OD. This makes it good to go in both worlds. Front and rear axle swaps would make it a Major alteration but the old Timken Detroit axles might still do the job. I guess it depends on what condition they are in. Chucks Trucks still has some stuff for them. A change like this would be a lot of research and work but at least one has already been adapted for the old flathead.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:01 PM   #24
Ross F-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Ford M-H View Post
Unless it has overdrive, none of them will help you go faster. It will only shift easier.

If your interested in going the nv4500 route I would be too. Maybe we could find someone in the north east that would be willing to do the swap.
Here's a guy who did an NV4500 into a Y-block; putting one into a flathead should be easier I would think:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...0-5-speed.html

(not sure if you'll be able to see the pictures unless you are a member)
Old 10-17-2018, 08:24 PM   #25
str8axle63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Ford M-H View Post

From what ive read the nv4500 seems like a pretty involved conversion.
Maybe im missing the advantage of the nv4500, is it better then
The t-98? Or t5?
Minimally id like to start with a synchronized 4spd but even finding that seems like a lot of guess work.
This being my first flathead I did not realize their not easy to match parts to.
Im thinking that maybe taking out the reduction box and transfer case. Change the rear gears to hopefully a 4 something maybe the best way to go
Old 10-17-2018, 09:55 PM   #26
Tinker

I think.... you are jumping into the fire and maybe don't even have a match. You have a special setup, if I'm reading right with the 4 wheel conversion.

Again, what do you want out of this vehicle?

You could just swap full chassis with someone that wants a m/h system.
I know, it's neat to make it try to make it work but the whole system might not hold up to gear change.

Sell it off and have fun.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:57 PM   #27
42Ford M-H

I wouldn’t bother with a T 98, for what ? Synchro gears? Double clutching isn’t that big a deal once you do it for a few weeks. You won’t go any faster down the rd. T5 behind a 1.5 ton truck, sounds iffy from anyone I’ve asked. If you baby it, it will probably live. Ofcourse take the gear reduction drive out. Take the transfer case out? Not sure what that gets you really. You can’t put anything lower then 5:14 in your axles. If you can find them. 5.83’s are easier to find. Not sure what you plan to do with that truck, but 5:14 gears with any kind of weight in that truck and it won’t have enough power to get out of its own way. But it’s flat where you are so maybe it won’t matter. The nv4500 I don’t understand why it matters if it’s 4x4. As long as the angle of the driveshaft isn’t more than 5-6 degrees why would it matter? I could be missing something. I need a pto output for my dump box. Sounds like the nv4500 fits the bill. The nv4500 is way tougher than the T5. And has over drive, as does the T5. The t98 has no overdrive.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:02 PM   #28
Tinker

42Ford M-H i'm projecting, but I think this is a project that wants to be something it's not. Maybe I'm wrong, time will tell.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:41 PM   #29
str8axle63

I Really like the stance of this truck, the M-H leafs give lift a stock truck does not have.
Im not going to use it as an all wheel drive. The cab and frame are in very good shape, basically just surface rust. You cannot find a truck like this in my area. I got the engine running really good, it is very strong.
Looking to just cruise to shows / local street hang outs. Just want to be able to drive 40 to 50 mph top speed.
Not going to do anything that cant be reversed .
I like THIS truck, don't want a stock, factory truck. Taking out the transfer case and the reduction drive box is a one day job. Without the transfer case I will only need the gears changed in the rear.
So looking for a syncro tranny just makes it more driveable in my opinion . What im planning is not major surgery, just a driving upgrade.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:52 PM   #30
Tinker

I get it, but once you take all the things off of it that make it what it is, you have changed it.

Transfer case more/most importantly. But you have a plan to take a 4x4 system to go to a show. all good. Guess I could understand better if you were trying to gearup a rare 4x4 m/set-up.

Why I was wondering why not a easy chassis swap. Instead of hacking a something up?

Maybe save the chassis for the next one you build. Don't know.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:27 AM   #31
42Ford M-H

So sorry in advance for being a jerk, but I have to say it. It's been bugging me all morning.

Just sell the 4x4 chassis, its worth more all together. But.... you could just sell the axles and transfer case. Put in a 2 wheel drive front end with 3-4 lift blocks. Get a dana rear end which bolts right in. Then you can put in any gears you want. 3.73 , 4.11 whatever...The dana will probably already have highway gears in it.

Could even do front disc brake conversion. On top of all that the truck would probably be 1200 pounds lighter, maybe even more. The gears alone for your rear end will cost more then swapping to 2 wheel drive with a dana rear end. If you take your transfer case out your going to need the drive line from a 2 wheel drive truck. You'll need 2 driveshafts and the carrier bearing. Then you're going to go to a truck show and someones going to see the front end and go oh cool and 4x4. Then they will look and the rest will be missing and their going to be like.... ummmm wth..
I have a 1.5 ton 2 wheel drive chassis, with hardly any rust on it. I'll swap you for your axles, transfer case and drive shafts from the transfer case to the axles. I'll even get you a Dana rear end with highway gears.

Last edited by 42Ford M-H; 10-18-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:55 AM   #32
str8axle63

I appreciate everyone's input. Seems no one gets what im looking to do or just does not agree with it. Which is fine. So ill just end this conversation with a thank you for your ideas. This is going to be a winter project hopefully ill have some pictures of the finished truck in the spring
Old 10-18-2018, 09:04 AM   #33
itslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8axle63 View Post
I appreciate everyone's input. Seems no one gets what im looking to do or just does not agree with it. Which is fine
People understand what you're wanting to do, but simply don't see the logic in doing it when there are much better routes to take to achieve your end goal.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:38 AM   #34
42Ford M-H

Pull the tranny and under drive out. Either go with a T5 and baby it or something else with OD, like a NV4500. Then build a drive shaft from the tranny to the transfer case. All done

And that keeps it the cool MH 4x4 truck it was built to be, and I'm guessing the reason you bought it in the first place.

Good luck with your truck, in the end whatever you do with it is better then it rotting in a field or going to the scrap heap and if you decide you want to swap parts let me know. I'd love to have them
Old 10-18-2018, 12:01 PM   #35
str8axle63

Quote:
Originally Posted by itslow View Post
People understand what you're wanting to do, but simply don't see the logic in doing it when there are much better routes to take to achieve your end goal.
Let me know when you find logic in spending thousands of dollars to rebuild 50 year old vehicles when you could buy a brand new car/truck ? Its a passion for most of us . Even though I am not into air bagged lowered cars I do respect that might be a passion for other people and I respect their love for something I would not be into.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:07 PM   #36
Karl

Quote:
Let me know when you find logic in spending thousands of dollars to rebuild 50 year old vehicles when you could buy a brand new car/truck ? Its a passion for most of us . Even though I am not into air bagged lowered cars I do respect that might be a passion for other people and I respect their love for something I would not be into.
Each to there own - I to am not in to airbag lowered cars either but also I respect that some people are . The issue is I would never be able to give them advice about how to set up such a vehicle. It seems that you are asking for advice on how to do something most of us would not consider doing . The HAMB might be a more appropriate forum - All the best with your project -Karl
Old 10-18-2018, 04:12 PM   #37
itslow

Quote:
The logic that's being questioned is buying a truck with fairly unique and rare conversions on it (M-H 4WD and SnoGo blower setup), and then turning it into a 2WD truck to drive down the highway while expecting it to be a "bolt-on and go" type deal. In that case, what's the point of having something with the aforementioned?

You seem to be fixated on something that's a "direct bolt on", when options have been laid out to allow you to keep the M-H conversion but use a more modern and friendly transmission. Yeah, it'll be a bit more involved, but isn't part of the "passion" figuring that sort of stuff out?

How much have to driven the truck so far? You seem to be too concerned about double-clutching when the main issue is the really getting it up to a road speed that's appropriate for your intended usage. After a short while the double-clutching will become 2nd nature and not that big of a hassle or problem.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:27 PM   #38
str8axle63

Quote:
Originally Posted by itslow View Post
The logic that's being questioned is buying a truck with fairly unique and rare conversions on it (M-H 4WD and SnoGo blower setup), and then turning it into a 2WD truck to drive down the highway while expecting it to be a "bolt-on and go" type deal. In that case, what's the point of having something with the aforementioned?

You seem to be fixated on something that's a "direct bolt on", when options have been laid out to allow you to keep the M-H conversion but use a more modern and friendly transmission. Yeah, it'll be a bit more involved, but isn't part of the "passion" figuring that sort of stuff out?

How much have to driven the truck so far? You seem to be too concerned about double-clutching when the main issue is the really getting it up to a road speed that's appropriate for your intended usage. After a short while the double-clutching will become 2nd nature and not that big of a hassle or problem.
With that type of logic, you must hate every chopped 32 Ford, any car turned into a gasser, hot rod etc..
Old 10-18-2018, 08:30 PM   #39
str8axle63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Each to there own - I to am not in to airbag lowered cars either but also I respect that some people are . The issue is I would never be able to give them advice about how to set up such a vehicle. It seems that you are asking for advice on how to do something most of us would not consider doing . The HAMB might be a more appropriate forum - All the best with your project -Karl
There is an easy answer to that, if most of "you" would not consider doing something then don't reply to the post
Old 10-18-2018, 08:43 PM   #40
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
There is an easy answer to that, if most of "you" would not consider doing something then don't reply to the post
I think it is important to reply to a post if you don't agree with what is being done. Hopefully explaining why you think it is a bad idea. If enough people have a negative reaction to what is being proposed it may pay to take a second look. People don't need a cheering section, but they may need a reality adjustment. I hope people don't just want to hear how good their idea is but rather what other people think of their ideas. I don't want to be the person that points out the beautiful clouds when the person is about to step into dog poop.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 10-18-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote