Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-21-2020, 03:45 PM   #21
McMimmcs

Default Re: My friend Ken’s Model A -V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjohn View Post
Too many of this cars are being screwed up by hot roding them. Just my 2 cents worth
I couldn't agree with you more!
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 04:48 PM   #22
Jim Huseby

MAFCA came into being when Model A's were under 25 years old, perhaps (but not really) like a 1995 Ford today. My mother-in-law, at age 85, still dislikes my restored '30 CCPU because it reminds her of the old cars that were out of style and embarrassing when she was young. Times change, history begins to shine and nostalgia blossoms along with changes in technology and culture. When I was young hot rods were largely misunderstood and the object of contempt for those who pretended to be cultured. That affected my attitude, too, somewhat and though I owned and raced real race cars and sports cars, for some stupid reason I thought it was a crime to desecrate an antique car by building a hot rod. And I restored dozens or hundreds of antique, classic and historic cars. But times change. Twenty some years ago I realized that hot rodding beginning at the dry lakes and street racing in the 30's and before had become valid, important and exciting history. So I changed my career and became an automotive heritic.
That '30 tudor could have been built as a hot rod in 1952 (MAFCA's birthday). That's 68 YEARS AGO! THAT'S HISTORY! And it doesn't detract from the pleasure of restoring a Model A to original.
www.olympicspeedsters
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-21-2020, 07:39 PM   #23
Gary Karr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyinUtah View Post
I visited a Model A friend just last week who is attempting to put a V-12 Lincoln in a 31 Victoria. He was in the process of adding the extra 13 inches to the frame. Knowing my friend he will get it completed and add it to his collection of stock Model As. Hu
Your friend's project sounds interesting although I wonder why he's going with a Lincoln flathead V-12 since so many pre and post war Continentals were converted to V-8's because of the reliability and overheating issues of the 12's.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:33 AM   #24
Russ B

We all have our opinions and preferences, but there were enough Model A's built the everyone who wants one can get one and do whatever they want with it, and there will still be more A's for someone who comes along later.

My biggest disappointment is with the Model A owners who just let them rust away without caring to protect, use, or restore, or rod them.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote