Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-21-2020, 10:45 AM   #1
hotrodalley

Default Cabriolet Top Fasteners

I am piecing together the top bows on a 68B straight Window Cabriolet and I am looking for a list of the proper fasteners. It would include a combination of wood and metal screws and flat head and oval head I believe. Can anyone direct me?
hotrodalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:38 PM   #2
Russ B

Default Re: Cabriolet Top Fasteners

Maybe this is no help at all, but I found I had to substitute some of my oval head slotted wood screws for larger sizes due to modified countersink holes when pieces were plated. The size change was of no relevance as the bows are wrapped with cloth when the top is installed. The threaded bolt lengths on my car (triple hinge) were purchased longer than needed, and then during final fitting, I cut excess length to expose the number of threads that I thought appropriate, and file finished the cut tips. With wood being replaced and the suppliers generally giving you extra thickness on everything, you will fit it all together, and one car may very well have pieces of slightly different sizes than the next car.

You are of necessity building the body and top a little differently than the craftsmen at Briggs Body did. They had the benefit of jigs that held the wood sub structure in perfect position and they used wood pieces that were all sized uniformly. Then they tacked the sheet metal on and it all fit just right.

We are putting a body together from ninety year old parts that may have had repairs or accidents, and may have been put together with sheet metal from several different bodies, using wood kits that need to be a bit oversized to accommodate variances in bodies. Our job is a bit harder as we have to custom fit it all into one perfect looking body.

I have a couple thousand hours in building my cabriolet and much of that time was spent on getting the body and top to fit right.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:17 PM   #3
hotrodalley

Thanks. Great perspective and you are right that fitting the cabriolet together is like a puzzle. Much patience required
Old 03-24-2020, 09:11 AM   #4
rotorwrench

It would be nice if there was a manual like Volume 6 of the Restorer series of restoration manuals from MAFCA but it only covers the 68C slant windshield types. Someone in the Cabriolet Club may be able to help though if they wrote a list of parts.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:18 PM   #5
hotrodalley

Yes, there seems to be quite a bit of information on the 68C but not so much on the 68A / B. Does anyone know if the Cabriolet Club is still active?
Old 03-27-2020, 09:31 AM   #6
Ray in La Mesa

Yes, the Cabriolet Club is still very active. Their web # is www.thecabrioletclub.org.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:43 PM   #7
Russ B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray in La Mesa View Post
Yes, the Cabriolet Club is still very active. Their web # is www.thecabrioletclub.org.
I was late paying, but they sent me a notice a week ago, and I paid. They are definitely alive. I am done with my building, but still find it useful to keep up with new bits of information. They were the source for finding some of the hard to find parts in my build. They have a great series of articles on building the body, fitting the wood. It was reprinted once, but once you are a member, you can buy the back issues to get a copy.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote