Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-16-2020, 07:58 PM   #61
koates

Default Re: Electrical Issue advice

rockfla, I have just checked the underside of my spare FUN PROJECTS regulator and it is exactly the same as your regulator. The underside of an original cut out is different. So you have a regulator which is possibly still OK and you wont know until you have a working ammeter. Another way to test your charging is to connect a voltmeter or multimeter set on around the 20 volt DC scale and connect between the ground and either of the regulator terminals and with some revs up on the engine you should have around 7.2 to 7.5 volts. If it is under 7 volts then it is not charging. See how you go. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:05 PM   #62
koates

The Fun Projects regulators have a slit or cut in the cover each side under each terminal. Original cut outs also have a special hex head terminal bolt and not a slotted screw like on the regulator type. Regards, Kevin.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:28 PM   #63
rockfla

So, today when I got home I hooked my meter up at the generator cutout and here is what I did. I connected the ground lead to the screw/wire at the base of the cutout. I connected the red lead to the “A” screw/wire of the cutout. Picture one is hooked up no power not running. Pictures 2 and 3 are running and about the highest and lowest readings on my meter. I also spoke with Fun Projects today and can send my cutout back for testing and or repair if needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7E117232-98EF-4E28-8446-47DCCCC77E88.jpeg (135.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpeg 015AFE2B-8DA2-4EC9-A82E-E989B452689B.jpeg (113.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpeg F7155039-7595-405D-82E8-B417B504B833.jpeg (111.1 KB, 16 views)
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:56 PM   #64
Bob C

Not sure what you are reading. Your meter appears to be on AC mode with
the selector on 10amp and the red lead plugged into the milliamp jack.
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:20 PM   #65
koates

Your meter is not set correctly. Switch has to be set on V for volts. Has to be DC volts NOT AC volts. The red test lead has to be in the volts ohms hole. You will never get a correct reading with it set the way you have it now. Regards, Kevin.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:31 PM   #66
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Not sure what you are reading. Your meter appears to be on AC mode with
the selector on 10amp and the red lead plugged into the milliamp jack.
The meter is an auto ranging meter BUT I just realized the red lead is in the wrong spot, it should be in the 10A spot
Old 08-17-2020, 08:33 PM   #67
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
Your meter is not set correctly. Switch has to be set on V for volts. Has to be DC volts NOT AC volts. The red test lead has to be in the volts ohms hole. You will never get a correct reading with it set the way you have it now. Regards, Kevin.
Doesn’t the ammeter measure amps? So why would I need to measure volts coming out of the generator?? I thought somewhere some one said I should be reading around 7-7.5 amps from the generator
Old 08-17-2020, 08:48 PM   #68
Bob C

Should be reading around 7-7.5 Volts. If you were trying to read amps
the meter needs to be in series between the generator output and the
wire going to the battery.
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:56 PM   #69
rockfla

Okay, I’m done. I’m ordering the correct generator from Mike tomorrow and sending the cutout back to Fun Projects, that way there is NO doubt. Now I’m down to a stuck ammeter? I’ll pull that tomorrow and investigate. Thanks for all y’all’s attempts to help
Old 08-17-2020, 09:23 PM   #70
koates

I am trying to get you to read VOLTS. I know the meter is autoranging but the switch needs to be set to volts. The red lead has to be in the VOLTS & OHMS socket. Dont give up on this now because there is a possibility that the generator and regulator is still OK. Forget about amps at this stage. We are looking for above 7 volts out of the generator with the engine revved a bit. Generators do not charge at engine idle speed. I will be disappointed if you dont follow along here, Otherwise I will have wasted my time. Regards, Kevin.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:36 AM   #71
rockfla

Quote:
I am trying to get you to read VOLTS. I know the meter is autoranging but the switch needs to be set to volts. The red lead has to be in the VOLTS & OHMS socket. Dont give up on this now because there is a possibility that the generator and regulator is still OK. Forget about amps at this stage. We are looking for above 7 volts out of the generator with the engine revved a bit. Generators do not charge at engine idle speed. I will be disappointed if you dont follow along here, Otherwise I will have wasted my time. Regards, Kevin.
Kevin
I will try to slide by this morning and run a quick voltage test. I assume you probe the two wires coming out of the generator? I will try and post pictures and should be around lunch time today EST (USA). I see we are 14 hours difference mate!!! Timing doesn't work for either of our schedules
Old 08-18-2020, 07:49 AM   #72
koates

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
Kevin
I will try to slide by this morning and run a quick voltage test. I assume you probe the two wires coming out of the generator? I will try and post pictures and should be around lunch time today EST (USA). I see we are 14 hours difference mate!!! Timing doesn't work for either of our schedules
I did explain to you where to connect the voltmeter. The black wire to ground at the cutout mounting screw would be good. The red wire to one of the cut out terminal screws but make it at the Ä terminal. Set your meter as I explained earlier to VOLTS DC. Rev up engine to a steady setting for 30 seconds or so and you should be reading about 7.2 to 7.5 volts. Make sure your meter connections are good. Regards, Kevin.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:10 AM   #73
35fordtn

To add to Kevin’s instructions be sure it’s not hooked to a battery charger during the check.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:41 PM   #74
rockfla

SO, I have two VO meters and put both on the car, one I got a 0.5 volt reading as a high with the car at an increased throttle. My other read a 0.7 then switched to.694 as a high reading increased throttle! So I take that as the generator is fried?
Old 08-18-2020, 07:06 PM   #75
koates

Assuming you have tested as per instructions previously posted then your meter readings are showing that the generator or regulator or both are at fault. I guess you will have to get some professional help on this by taking the generator to your local auto electrical shop and get him to run it up on his test bench. Make sure you tell him this is a POSITIVE ground unit, especially the regulator as it is electronic. Regards, Kevin.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:13 PM   #76
rockfla

Quote:
Assuming you have tested as per instructions previously posted then your meter readings are showing that the generator or regulator or both are at fault. I guess you will have to get some professional help on this by taking the generator to your local auto electrical shop and get him to run it up on his test bench. Make sure you tell him this is a POSITIVE ground unit, especially the regulator as it is electronic. Regards, Kevin.
Thanks Kevin, I already have a 32 correct generator in the works and will use this one on the car as a backup. I’m pulling the cutout tonight and sending it off to Fun Projects and they will check and repair as necessary. I’m
Pulling the ammeter tomorrow and getting it off for repair as well!! Thanks again for yours and everyone else’s help and advice, my more trusted meter that read .694 volts I took over to the battery on my 39 Merc and it read 6.32v so I know that meter is “on”!!!!