Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-03-2017, 03:02 AM   #1
Paul Bennett

Default 6V brake light for rear window - $5.14

I bought a couple rear window brake lights from Amazon for $5.14 as I've been looking for a while and these were in a housing which fits my application ('50 Merc). While they are NOT Amazon Prime shipping but free shipping none the less. I say $5.14 all in is stupid cheap.

After about a 10 day shipping time, they arrived and I got out the tools. I discovered the plastic housing comes apart easily. I feared it was glued together as it appears but not so. The plastic cover just snaps onto the housing. I admit I really bought them for a housing to play with but my next amazement - they light up nicely on 6 volts although not as bright as on 12v. And I do want bright for daytime use.

Digging further I find the guts are suited to experimentation as is. The leds and their 1k dropping resistor are surface mounted (SMD) on a narrow pc board which comes off with a couple of tiny screws. AND I was able to parallel the existing 1k ohm voltage dropping/current limiting resistor with another standard 1k resistor and regain the brightness of 12v using only 6 volts!

I don't yet know if that will be satisfactory for daytime shock value (I worry about getting 'texted' in the rear by a teen cell addict. I may get some super bright LEDs to play with. Which is one reason I bought 2 of these things to start with. The NNDA company has many leds available but I don't believe the 5 leds used in this housing to be of the 'super bright' variety.

If you are interested in stupid cheap, search Amazon for "NNDA CO 12v Car 5 LED". I can take pictures of the guts if there is a need or interest, otherwise I will let the subject drop with this heads up notification.
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:22 AM   #2
FortyNiner

Default Re: 6V brake light for rear window - $5.14

The other reality of stupid cheap LEDs, beside basic brightness, is that they tend to fade (lumen depreciation) or fail after limited use. Big difference between novelty item and automotive use quality.

If you are just in it for giggles, please proceed.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:20 AM   #3
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bennett View Post

I bought a couple rear window brake lights from Amazon for $5.14 as I've been looking for a while and these were in a housing which fits my application ('50 Merc). While they are NOT Amazon Prime shipping but free shipping none the less. I say $5.14 all in is stupid cheap.

If you are interested in stupid cheap, search Amazon for "NNDA CO 12v Car 5 LED". I can take pictures of the guts if there is a need or interest, otherwise I will let the subject drop with this heads up notification.
In as much as these are sold as a replacement for existing lights, does it include the logic needed to prevent it from operating when the signal lights are used?
Old 06-03-2017, 08:27 PM   #4
Paul Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
In as much as these are sold as a replacement for existing lights, does it include the logic needed to prevent it from operating when the signal lights are used?
A 3rd light connects directly to the brake light pressure switch prior to turn signal wiring. It wouldn't be a bad idea to add an additional mechanical brake switch instead of using the hydraulic pressure switch. In this way the 3rd light would come on several tenths of a second before the tail lights AND you could even ride the brake to light it up without energizing the brakes when someone is following too closely behind you.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:33 AM   #5
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bennett View Post
A 3rd light connects directly to the brake light pressure switch prior to turn signal wiring. It wouldn't be a bad idea to add an additional mechanical brake switch instead of using the hydraulic pressure switch. In this way the 3rd light would come on several tenths of a second before the tail lights AND you could even ride the brake to light it up without energizing the brakes when someone is following too closely behind you.
My third brake light does not connect all the way to the brake light switch but connects to a rear brake wire in the trunk area. It uses a logic module that filters out the turn signals.
Also I am using a mechanical switch which as you say, does away with any hydraulic issues.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:28 AM   #6
Paul Bennett

There certainly will be cases where a snaking a a wire half the length of the car is more difficult than spending ten bucks for a module. But to me it's a ideal example of occam's razor.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:42 AM   #7
19Fordy

Paul: Never heard of Occam's razor.
Learned something new, thanks to you.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote