Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-28-2017, 08:47 AM   #21
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Stuck starter motor

I like a clean & DRY helix, that won't collect clutch disc dust & GUM UP!
BUT, whatever works good for you, just keep doin' it---LOL
Bill Knowitall???
Old 05-29-2017, 08:43 PM   #22
Mad Mac

Thanks everyone,
I understand from your replies that the "spindle" (the small cog) and the ring gear should not have grease on them,but should the "helix" (the worm thing) have grease on it? Mine has worked well for more than 20 years with graphite grease on it (see photos in post #16 above) and only very recently has it started to "stick". So, am I right in concluding that grease on the helix cannot be the cause of the problem? I guess I really want to understand cause and effect here.
Mad Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:05 PM   #23
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
I have taken it off now - see the attached 3 pics. There is a very small amount of grease on the spindle (the spindle is that small cog, right?) and plenty on the helix but there does not appear to be any grease on the ring gear. Can you see anything in the photos that indicate the cause of it sticking? The shaft does not appear bent when I rotate it.
Again, you may want to rotate your ring gear around and look for a bad tooth or teeth to see if they are worn. If so, your starter may stick on them. When you rock your rig, it will break loose. This has happened on two of my rigs, my 8N tractor and one of my A's. Just crank your engine with the starter out and look for this. It will get this way normally in one spot on your flywheel and this is why it only happens once in awhile. The engine has to stop on that spot to make it happen

Good Luck!

P.S. The way you can check this with the starter in the rig is when it sticks, rather than rocking it to break it loose, take the bolts loose on the starter, move it around a bit and if it breaks loose, then this may be your problem. Again I am no expert on starter problems but this is what I have had with starters over the years.

Last edited by Fred K-OR; 05-29-2017 at 09:20 PM.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:05 PM   #24
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Thanks everyone,
I understand from your replies that the "spindle" (the small cog) and the ring gear should not have grease on them,but should the "helix" (the worm thing) have grease on it? Mine has worked well for more than 20 years with graphite grease on it (see photos in post #16 above) and only very recently has it started to "stick". So, am I right in concluding that grease on the helix cannot be the cause of the problem? I guess I really want to understand cause and effect here.
I like a thin coat of grease on the ring gear, but only a light coat of thin oil on the helix.
I suspect your grease has thickened with age, so brush it off with a paint brush with diesel or kerosene, and you should be good to go.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:25 PM   #25
Mad Mac

Thanks Guys,
I have just seen an interesting U-tube video by Jack Dahm explaining how to avoid a stuck starter motor. The link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD4AYmMu1HU
Mad Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:55 PM   #26
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Thanks Guys,
I have just seen an interesting U-tube video by Jack Dahm explaining how to avoid a stuck starter motor. The link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD4AYmMu1HU
This is similar to what I am talking about except what I am talking about is a worn tooth or teeth on the ring gear. They cause the starter to stick and rocking it back and forth in 3rd gear will normally free it.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote