Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-18-2020, 04:49 PM   #1
gilitos

Default How to evaluate a functioning rear axle assembly

I have never had my rear axle apart; I keep oil in it and it's been working fine for many decades. I'm about to start some major work which will include removing the axle from the car: I'm replacing the shackles among other things. How can one decide if the axle should be disassembled and rebuilt? If there are no symptoms, is it worth diving into it?
gilitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:01 AM   #2
wmws
BANNED

Default Re: How to evaluate a functioning rear axle assembly

Since no one has answered you I will say I'm no expert on rear ends but if it is quiet, has no excess play in the ring and pinion, the threads on the axle ends are good, and the bearings look good, I would say leave it alone.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:18 AM   #3
mcgarrett

As "wmws" said, leave it alone if it's working with no detectable noises, leaks, or other issues. Change the diff lubricant, grease the bearings, and reinstall.
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 06:47 PM   #4
Jack Shaft
BANNED

You can shine a flashlight in the fill hole and see the ring gear.draining and metal checking the oil works too. Checking hub bearings and housing races is a good tell,pull the brake drum/ hub and look for wear at the bottom of the axle housing /bearing race..if the race is worn you can get it sleeved,pull down the rear axle while doing it
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:30 PM   #5
gilitos

Hey, Jack, that's pretty sensible advice. I'll post up what I find. The other reason to tear it down is to finally install that 3.27........
gilitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:36 PM   #6
ryanheacox

I agree with the idea of don't touch it if there's nothing wrong with it BUT...

I pulled the engine to have it rebuilt and didn't touch the rest of the drivetrain because I never had any issues with the trans or rear end. 1000 miles later I had to pull the rear end and transmission to rebuild the transmission. 1000 miles later I need to pull the rear end because it is now making noise..... live and learn.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:09 PM   #7
Jack Shaft
BANNED

If you want to really drive and enjoy a 90 year old car you have to go through the car and to end.Properly maintained a model a is a robust and reliable car.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:37 AM   #8
Conaway2

Post #4 nails it for me. I made the decision to pull the rear ale in my car because of wear on the axle hub bearing surface and a broken key way on one axle. I plan to replace bearings, races and seals. While I have the Axle out, I also plan to replace seals in the transmission and service the rear spring. Not much fun to drive the car in the SC heat anyway, so it’s a good time to get this work done ahead of the fall day trips with the local club.
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:00 AM   #9
100IH

After about the 4-5 th rear axle tear down is when you begin to learn the terms and procedures and the things that are unique to the banjo rear axle, You'll also have the special tools because you have made or purchased them. At that point a person is able to ask an intelligent question and really understand the answer. If your familiar with more modern types of axles then your way ahead but some of what you know must be tossed because they don't apply. Know yourself, that is the key. Know where to get the procedures and understand them before diving in. Becoming competent is an achievement but totally worth doing.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:08 AM   #10
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conaway2 View Post
Post #4 nails it for me. I made the decision to pull the rear ale in my car because of wear on the axle hub bearing surface and a broken key way on one axle. I plan to replace bearings, races and seals. While I have the Axle out, I also plan to replace seals in the transmission and service the rear spring. Not much fun to drive the car in the SC heat anyway, so it’s a good time to get this work done ahead of the fall day trips with the local club.
Don't forget to replace the seals INSIDE the outer ends of the axle housings.
Old 07-21-2020, 11:13 AM   #11
rotorwrench

If it has to come apart for any specific reason, ie, noisy, metal in oil, or any other detectable problems then it should go through a full disassembly inspection. Note gasket shim packs for reassembly during initial tear down.

A person shouldn't be too quick to replace bearings unless they show excessive wear or damage to rollers. If it looks good, it likely is still good. If bearings on one side are bad then replace the other side as well whether it's pinion shaft or differential carrier. Same with gears. If they look bad, replace them otherwise just continue them in service but keep in mind that it's not a good idea to set up used bearings with maximum preload and used gears with minimum backlash. Set the used stuff a bit on the loose side but still within specs.

If there is no problem with it then put a leever on it and leever alone.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:06 PM   #12
ryanheacox

Also, just in case anyone didn't know, RockAuto carries the bearings and cups for the carrier/pinion. Timken bearings just like the vendors sell at half the price.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...l+bearing,2240
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote