Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-12-2020, 11:54 AM   #1
Acruiser

Default Model A frame - pickup vs coupe

Hello,
I'm new here to the Ford Barn and to Model A's in general. While I've always been fascinated with them I've finally decided to dive in and start a build project. I've been watching Youtube videos and doing some online research. I'm scheduled to pick up some "spare parts" in the next day or so to build either a simple coupe or pick up. Aside from the AA are the rest of the Model A frames the same? Thanks.
Acruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:06 PM   #2
ronn

Default Re: Model A frame - pickup vs coupe

pretty much yes. little nuances as to differences, but all body styles used the same basic frame except what you mention.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:09 PM   #3
Steve Plucker
BANNED

They are basicly the same but with differences throughout the four years of production.

Check this out...

http://plucks329s.org/pdf/frame/Evol..._Assembly2.pdf

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:08 PM   #4
Bob C

Probably the thing that would effect you the most is the front
cross member if you are doing a 1930-31.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:29 PM   #5
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Probably the thing that would effect you the most is the front
cross member if you are doing a 1930-31.
The difference can be measured.

On the frame front cross-member the two holes where the two radiator bolts mount are surrounded by a squarish "flat" area perhaps an inch square. If that flat area is slightly below the frame rails - it is a "before October 1929" frame aimed at the shorter 1928-29 radiator pattern.

If that flat area is significantly (like 5/16") below the frame rails - it is an "after October 1929" frame, i.e. made for the taller 1930-31 radiator pattern.

Ford changed frame production detail beginning in October 1929 in anticipation of the model change over with taller radiators. He even gave notice in the Service Bulletins that some 1929 cars in the changeover from October to December 1929 would require additional "shims" to make up for the lower radiator mounting pad, and gave the part numbers for bolt and pads.

If you start with a "before October 1929" frame (flush with siderails) you're kind of stuck with a car in the earlier style. If you get a frame made after October 1929 (5/16 below side rails), you're free to use either car body style.

It is possible to put a 1930-31 body on the earlier frame - but you may require additional shimming below the body blocks of the body to bring the radiator shell/hood/cowl into alignment, and correct for the dreaded "gap taper" that can occur between these parts. You may do some of this anyway. Those of us who know the bodies/details may see the difference where the body meets the side aprons - or we may not.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 05-12-2020 at 01:35 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:37 PM   #6
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
The difference can be measured.

On the frame front cross-member the two holes where the two radiator bolts mount are surrounded by a squarish "flat" area perhaps an inch square. If that flat area is slightly below the frame rails - it is a "before October 1929" frame aimed at the shorter 1928-29 radiator pattern.

If that flat area is significantly (like 5/16") below the frame rails - it is an "after October 1929" frame, i.e. made for the taller 1930-31 radiator pattern.

Ford changed frame production detail beginning in October 1929 in anticipation of the model change over with taller radiators. He even gave notice in the Service Bulletins that some 1929 cars in the changeover from October to December 1929 would require additional "shims" to make up for the lower radiator mounting pad, and gave the part numbers for bolt and pads.

If you start with a "before October 1929" frame (flush with siderails) you're kind of stuck with a car in the earlier style. If you get a frame made after October 1929 (5/16 below side rails), you're free to use either car body style.

It is possible to put a 1930-31 body on the earlier frame - but you may require additional shimming below the body blocks of the body to bring the radiator shell/hood/cowl into alignment, and correct for the dreaded "gap taper" that can occur between these parts. You may do some of this anyway. Those of us who know the bodies/details may see the difference where the body meets the side aprons - or we may not.

Joe K

Yup. Many years ago before we knew this, we put a 30 body on an early frame - hood never did fit quite right.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:12 PM   #7
Acruiser

Thanks for all the great info everyone! Seems I've come to the right place. The more I learn about these things the more I like them.
Acruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:05 PM   #8
CWPASADENA

The difference between the Coupe and Pick-up frame is the coupe frame is usually in better condition.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote