Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-06-2019, 05:22 PM   #1
moonman29

Default 8ba block - deck surfacing

I'm in the process of rebuilding an 53 8BA engine and it is basically a stock rebuild with an Isky 77-B cam. I cannot find a stock set of head bolts so I ordered the Speedway head stud kit Part # 91015310 and in reading the instruction listed on line for that kit it specifically states "NOTE: Do not let any machine shop deck, mill, grind or remove any material from the block’s deck surface!!" this is the first time I have ever heard of this. It goes on to state "Ford made the deck (top of the block) material too thin at the factory! Remember, any material removed will ruin the block. If you over-torque, all you do is pull the deck of the block up at the bolt hole and cause a very uneven surface, which no gasket will ever seal!!" How true is this? My block is currently at the machine shop and he has not started the work yet as we are waiting for the parts to come in so he can set the required clearance for the pistons. If this is true, then I'll tell him not to deck my block. But I'm curious how true this is because I have seen many builds online where the deck is clearly resurfaced. I just want the deck surface the minimum required to have a new sealing surface, not doing anything extra. Any advice will help, thanks.

I originally posted this over on the HAMP and it was suggested that I post it here for additional advice, hope you all can help,

Thank you again.
moonman29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:05 PM   #2
GOSFAST

Default Re: 8ba block - deck surfacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonman29 View Post
I'm in the process of rebuilding an 53 8BA engine and it is basically a stock rebuild with an Isky 77-B cam. I cannot find a stock set of head bolts so I ordered the Speedway head stud kit Part # 91015310 and in reading the instruction listed on line for that kit it specifically states "NOTE: Do not let any machine shop deck, mill, grind or remove any material from the block’s deck surface!!" this is the first time I have ever heard of this. It goes on to state "Ford made the deck (top of the block) material too thin at the factory! Remember, any material removed will ruin the block. If you over-torque, all you do is pull the deck of the block up at the bolt hole and cause a very uneven surface, which no gasket will ever seal!!" How true is this? My block is currently at the machine shop and he has not started the work yet as we are waiting for the parts to come in so he can set the required clearance for the pistons. If this is true, then I'll tell him not to deck my block. But I'm curious how true this is because I have seen many builds online where the deck is clearly resurfaced. I just want the deck surface the minimum required to have a new sealing surface, not doing anything extra. Any advice will help, thanks.

I originally posted this over on the HAMP and it was suggested that I post it here for additional advice, hope you all can help,

Thank you again.
Rest easy and have it milled, we've milled every Flathead block we ever built, probably a few hundred back since the mid '80's!

Have 4 builds going on here now, all are already milled. We're now even "pinning" the heads to the blocks with some SBC dowel pins. Keeps everything more stable.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Generally takes less than .010" to get a nice new finish? Also ask you machinist to finish hone the block with a block-plate.

Last edited by GOSFAST; 05-06-2019 at 07:09 PM. Reason: C
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:40 PM   #3
Ol' Ron

I have m,y blocks check for flatness, but most need to be decked. I do agree that the deck is thin. I only torque the heads to 45 ft lbs for at least 3 heat cycles.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:13 AM   #4
JWL
Member Emeritus

Never cut on the deck unless it is absolutely necessary.

I am surprised and impressed that Speedway would have such astute advice available.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:10 PM   #5
Pete

Surfacing a block, IF NEEDED, is important for head sealing.
Equally important but largely ignored, is to square the crank with the decks.
This is not as important on street engines now days when most blocks are bored from the main line. It was extremely important when blocks were bored from the deck.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:42 PM   #6
moonman29

Thanks for all your help. I'm on my way to the machine shop now and going to ask him to check the deck first. If needed, then Ill have him deck it.
moonman29 is offline   Reply With Quote