Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-08-2015, 03:50 PM   #1
700rpm

Default Need suggestions installing a belt molding

I finally acquired an original belt molding (both pieces) for my 29 business coupe last year (Thanks, Glenn in Camino), and am getting ready to install it. I currently have a hidem-welt for that trim area, which will be removed. But having never done this, I am a little trepidatious. I would welcome any suggestions from those of you who have done this before.

Thanks.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 07-08-2015 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Added info
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:15 PM   #2
2manycars

Default Re: Need suggestions installing a belt molding

I restored a sport coupe a few years ago, and at that time someone was making them new. I got one, and it fit perfect. The inner strip was tacked to the wood, then the finish strip snapped over that, and the ends bent in to the door striker area. I saw the car just before the owner moved to florida, and it still looks good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29spcp22.jpg (37.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 29spcp02.jpg (50.4 KB, 57 views)
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:23 PM   #3
md8810

The belt moulding is 2 piece. The base piece goes on first with tacks and the finish piece clips over the base piece.

Some who do not have the finish piece or wish to be able to remove and replace the moulding can try the following:

Drill through the body to position a toilet bowl hold down screw directly centered under the base piece. The flat head of the screw can engage the edges of the base piece and the threaded part of the screw extends through the body to receive a countersunk washer and nut. As the nut is tightened, the base piece is pulled against the body. A number of these assemblies can be positioned around the belt base piece. There are many holes in the base piece which must be filled prior to finishing.

If the finish moulding is available, it is clipped over the base piece. This fastening process enables one to remove the 2 piece moulding without separating the base and finish pieces.
md8810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:53 PM   #4
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by md8810 View Post
The belt moulding is 2 piece. The base piece goes on first with tacks and the finish piece clips over the base piece.

Some who do not have the finish piece or wish to be able to remove and replace the moulding can try the following:

Drill through the body to position a toilet bowl hold down screw directly centered under the base piece. The flat head of the screw can engage the edges of the base piece and the threaded part of the screw extends through the body to receive a countersunk washer and nut. As the nut is tightened, the base piece is pulled against the body. A number of these assemblies can be positioned around the belt base piece. There are many holes in the base piece which must be filled prior to finishing.

If the finish moulding is available, it is clipped over the base piece. This fastening process enables one to remove the 2 piece moulding without separating the base and finish pieces.
Thanks MD. I have both pieces, and have edited my original post to include that info.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:37 PM   #5
PO51

Glad you got the belt molding! please take lots of pics so you can share them with me! lol Need to get my Mach1 off the jack stands so I can get back to working on my BC.
PO51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:58 PM   #6
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PO51 View Post
Glad you got the belt molding! please take lots of pics so you can share them with me! lol Need to get my Mach1 off the jack stands so I can get back to working on my BC.
Will do!