Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-29-2015, 07:51 AM   #1
wrecker king

Default gas treatment/ stabilization that works for me

I would like to share my experience with a gas treatment/stabalizer that works for me when dealing with E-10 fuel.
Enough has already been siad about the negative effects of E-10 on steel gas tanks and carburators.

What I use is Seafoam, which has kept my fuel "fresh" for over a year. Additionally, I add Penzoil semi synthetic 2 cycle oil to the fuel.

On my big trucks that have 50 gallon saddle tanks, I put the whole quart in, so that would work out to a half a pint for the model A gas tank.The reason for adding the oil is two fold, it coats the tank and it lubricates the valve stems and the accelerator pump on the carb (yes I know the model A carb does not have one). I had a valve stick on one of my big truck engines and it bent the pushrod, what had happened is the fuel had broken down and crystalized on the valve stem.

I have been using this mixture for several years with positive results and with no smoke coming out of the tailpipe as a result of using 2 cycle motor oil

I just recently have tried STABIL 360, which claims to have a "vapor" that protects the inside of tank with favorable results. The Stabil 360 has a dark tint to it so do not be alarmed when you look at your sediment bowl and the fuel is darker in color. Only time will tell on this product.

John G

Last edited by wrecker king; 04-29-2015 at 08:53 AM.
wrecker king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:03 AM   #2
JTW

Default Re: gas treatment/ stabilization that works for me

Good tip based on real experience, thank you.

Last edited by JTW; 04-29-2015 at 08:04 AM. Reason: add word
JTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:14 AM   #3
wbedwards

Whats your ratio on the TCW3 2 stroke? I run it in my diesel truck 128/1 but not in the gassers.

wbedwards
wbedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:53 AM   #4
dlfrisch

I have had good unquestionable results, over the past many years, with Marvell Mystery Oil. I add a few ounces into a full fuel tank in my '30 A, my generator, my Harley Davidson motorcycle's and even the lawn mower. I have had a couple of noisy V8 (gas) engines in my business trucks and by using that oil in the crank case and adding a few ounces into the fuel tank, it stopped or quieted the engine knocking noise and quieted the lifter chatter. I see, by using the oil in the fuel, the fuel doesn't varnish up, even over a long time in storage.

If, it works.......no need to try fixing it !
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:55 AM   #5
wrecker king

As far as ratio is concerend with the 2 stroke, I do not know, whatever 1 quart to 50 gallons is. As for the Seafoam, I follow the directions on the can.

John G
Old 04-29-2015, 09:11 AM   #6
Keith True

I just don't seem to have the problems with the new junk gas like others.Most of my work has been old junk that sat around for years,so maybe I'm just used to fooling with gummed up and corroded fuel systems.We've had alcohol in the gas at one station here since 1980,it was marketed as gasahol.I don't remember any of us paying much attention to it.We just used it.I worked at a John Deere dealer across the street from the place and we got all of our fuel there.We had two gas road tractors we used to haul equipment with,a Ford with a 534 gas engine,and a Mack with a 707 gas engine.I do remember the Mack didn't like that gas much.It probably was because we only used the Mack for the heavy stuff,and we were kind of overworking it.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:15 AM   #7
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I have been a very satisfied user of SeaFoam for several years. I use it in all my cars, tractors, truck, riding mowers and chain saws. If is the best fuel stabilizer I have ever used. Because Canadian winters are long I need something to carry my fuel from October thru May. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:58 AM   #8
wbedwards

1 quart to 50 gal should be 200/1
wbedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:01 AM   #9
Dollar Bill

A cheaper solution you may wish to consider is ATF. I buy it by the gallon from WalMart. Mix at the ratio of 8 ozs in each 5 gallon cans that I keep for the tractors, mowers and such.

Have 10 years of experience with this method and have NEVER had a problem with E10 that others have reported. I have 5, 5-gallon cans and fill them about once or twice a year depending on how much work I do outside.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:39 PM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

I also like Sea Foam. Back in the early 90's I bought an Old's cutlass real cheap because it sounded like it has rod knock. I checked the bearings, and they were good, but I replaced then anyway as long as I had the old ones out. I drove the car to the auto parts store and put in a can of Sea Foam. Before I drove the 4 miles back home, the engine was quiet as can be. It was a stuck lifter, and Sea Foam saved the day.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:35 PM   #11
Steve_KS

I've heard people swear by SeaFoam for stabalizing E-10. However how does it help since SeaFoam is just alcohol itself? If the alcohol is what makes gasoline go bad wouldn't adding more make the problem worse? Evidently not for some people.
Steve_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:44 PM   #12
Steve_KS

Guess I should have looked the MSDS up first. There isn't that much alcohol in it.

Pale Oil 40.00-60.00%
Naphtha 25.00-35.00%
IPA 10.00-20.00%

Here is how to brew your own.
http://hildstrom.com/projects/seafoam/
Steve_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:06 PM   #13
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
I just don't seem to have the problems with the new junk gas like others.Most of my work has been old junk that sat around for years,so maybe I'm just used to fooling with gummed up and corroded fuel systems.We've had alcohol in the gas at one station here since 1980,it was marketed as gasahol.I don't remember any of us paying much attention to it.We just used it.I worked at a John Deere dealer across the street from the place and we got all of our fuel there.We had two gas road tractors we used to haul equipment with,a Ford with a 534 gas engine,and a Mack with a 707 gas engine.I do remember the Mack didn't like that gas much.It probably was because we only used the Mack for the heavy stuff,and we were kind of overworking it.
we dont either... Been around a long time here too. I'm wondering if its been around so long by us that these new cities who has had regular gas that does leave a varnish the ethanol starts breaking this up in the underground tanks and starts clogging fuel systems.

Heck our pushmower sat outside all winter under our boat (plenty of snow all over the engine) and the gascan in the shed from last year (probably before october), put whatever was left in the can into the tank, primed it 10 times and fired up 2nd pull...

Even my 1980 Chevette manual states its safe to use E10 in it. If it wasn't safe GM or any other car manufacturer would specifically state it wasnt safe so you couldn't sue them.

BUT

it surely cant hurt anything to add some sort of stabilizer to gas and or upper cyl lubricant to help out so if its working for you keep doing whatever it is that you do. I am a firm believer Seafoam does work wonders! I run it occasionally in all my vehicles.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:57 PM   #14
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_KS View Post
Guess I should have looked the MSDS up first. There isn't that much alcohol in it.

Pale Oil 40.00-60.00%
Naphtha 25.00-35.00%
IPA 10.00-20.00%

IPA !!! http://www.ipabeer.com/ipa101
Old 05-04-2015, 12:02 AM   #15
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I'm lucky that we have all year driving weather here in the south. I truly feel for you guys that need to worry about what will happen to your cars over the winter, mice, stall gas, and the like. You spend your time taking care of the car only to have to spend time in the "short" driving season fixing what you have no control over. (no political statement here )

Since there are so many things that do work, is there anything that has been tried and did not work and should be avoided?
Old 05-04-2015, 04:19 AM   #16
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:

Pale Oil 40.00-60.00%
Naphtha 25.00-35.00%
IPA 10.00-20.00%

With all due respect I leave the brewing to the experts. For the cost of materials and the time and effort involved I truly can't be bothered. I very much like the convenience of paying five dollars to Walmart and saving all the trouble.
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:39 AM   #17
wrecker king

Quote:

Pale Oil 40.00-60.00%
Naphtha 25.00-35.00%
IPA 10.00-20.00%

That is why you never add DRY GAS to a tank with E-10 in it!!