Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-07-2020, 06:31 PM   #1
w.michael

Default removing flame arrestor or filler screen

I need help removing the flame arrestor (gas filler screen) from my '29 Fordor. This is a completed car, not one under construction, so I must protect the paint, etc. and do this with the tank in the car.

This is the threaded type flame arrestor, not the one with tabs.

I bought the special removal tool, and it fits perfectly, without alteration. The flame arrestor began to unscrew, came up off its seat a short distance, but now just continues to turn without backing out any farther, as if the threads are stripped. It is still tight in its threads, with no wobble or looseness.

Any suggestions on how to get this out?

The screen already has some holes punched in it, which makes me wonder if a previous owner had the same problem.

Thank you for any suggestions.

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:15 PM   #2
Jeff/Illinois

Default Re: removing flame arrestor or filler screen

I had the same problem with a threaded in screen on a '28 Model A. But had a '29 Tudor that it unscrewed no problem.

Sorry that is not an answer to your problem, but I am interested in someone chiming in about this.

The four-tab on our '30 Roadster is a breeze to pop out. Maybe why Ford went to that type

I suppose maybe spraying it down with something like PB Blaster may help?? Has to be some old gasoline varnish hanging it up. Like I said our '29 Tudor was no problem. It had an original screen, maybe the one you are fighting is a re-pop from the glorious '70's world of bad parts.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:37 PM   #3
1crosscut

I wonder if the metal around the holes that were punched in it is out far enough that it is keeping it from lifting out. They are not made out of super stiff metal so you might be able to use a screw driver to pry and collapse it. Its going to want to fall into the tank though.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:34 PM   #4
1955cj5

There are only three threads on the collar so if you were able to turn it that many times you would be free of the threaded portion.

Perhaps the screen is bent or distorted so that it is unwilling to exit the hole.

I'd try vice grips on the screen collar and you may be able to coax it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040141.JPG (76.7 KB, 50 views)
Old 06-07-2020, 08:50 PM   #5
frank55a

I would try turning as to screw it in 1/2 to 3/4 turn then try unscrewing it. Repeat this several times, you might find that working it in this manner will loosen it a little each time you try it. But do not force it, just use firm pressure.
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:55 PM   #6
J Franklin

Don't create sparks!
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:29 PM   #7
w.michael

I didn't have much time to work on this tonight, but I think I made a little progress. 1955cj5 posted a picture that really helped me understand that, as he says, there are only a few threads. Then I took frank55a's advice, and tightened and loosened the screen several times. It is now loose when unscrewed, and I can tell that the threads are no longer engaged. It still will not lift out. I have been trying to gently pull it out with long needle-nosed pliers. I have not yet resorted to vice grips, a chisel, and a big hammer. When I get more shop time this weekend, I think I can get it out, but it may require collapsing the screen.

J. Franklin, this is Mr. and Mrs Honaker's car. I only found it because you posted the Craig's List link here on Fordbarn. I am very happy with my purchase!

W. Michael
Old 06-09-2020, 01:32 AM   #8
chrs1961815

Is it possible it is caught on something either below it or at the top?
Old 06-09-2020, 01:43 AM   #9
Jembow

Slightly hijacking the thread, mine has fallen into the tank and is rolling around inside. The tank is dry and off the car.
Jembow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 02:37 AM   #10
chrs1961815

Needle nosed pliers or a magnetic tool.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:11 AM   #11
vern hodgson

Obtain a slide hammer with puller attachment which opens on adjustment, place in spark arrest or adjust open and pull upward, gently
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:19 PM   #12
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jembow View Post
Slightly hijacking the thread, mine has fallen into the tank and is rolling around inside. The tank is dry and off the car.

What year is your car? Mine is a late 30 which has the tab style, which if it is pushed down on too hard can bend the tabs up and it falls into the tank.

Had this happen on my late 30. Pulled it out through the gas gauge hole. Had to collapse it as I pulled it out using a pliers. Still was a PIA, and is one of the reasons I did not replace it. I am careful and make sure I ground me and the nozzle tip to the radiator shell before sticking the nozzel into the gas tank.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:44 PM   #13
w.michael

SUCCESS ! I got the screen out, but I did have to partially collapse it to do so. The problem was, as 1crosscut suggested, the screen is bulged out below the threaded ring. I think that probably 90 years of hitting the screen with the tip of the fill nozzle tends to balloon the screen out all the way around. The screen already had some large holes in it, and was already damaged (possibly by someone else's attempts to remove it) so I did not waste a good, reusable part. It was junk anyway. And I think I got all of the pieces out without any falling into the tank.

And now, the rest of the story. I did all of this because my gas gauge had quit working--it was stuck between 1/2 and 1/4. I think it was hanging on the filler screen. I discovered this on my last long trip. I thought I was getting unusually good gas mileage, but it did not occur to me until I was about 2 miles from home that the gas gauge had not moved in 40 miles. That was about the same time the engine coughed and died. I was able to coast into the parking lot of a business that was closed for the evening. In my mind, I went down the list of all my buddies I could call to come get me, but as I went over the list, I realized every one of them was unavailable that evening. The only person left to call? My wife. And yes, she got a great deal of joy from having to come rescue me, and she is enjoying greatly telling everyone I ran out of gas AGAIN. I've really got to get that gauge adjusted!

W. Michael
Old 06-13-2020, 11:07 PM   #14
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by w.michael View Post
SUCCESS ! I got the screen out, but I did have to partially collapse it to do so. The problem was, as 1crosscut suggested, the screen is bulged out below the threaded ring. I think that probably 90 years of hitting the screen with the tip of the fill nozzle tends to balloon the screen out all the way around. The screen already had some large holes in it, and was already damaged (possibly by someone else's attempts to remove it) so I did not waste a good, reusable part. It was junk anyway. And I think I got all of the pieces out without any falling into the tank.

And now, the rest of the story. I did all of this because my gas gauge had quit working--it was stuck between 1/2 and 1/4. I think it was hanging on the filler screen. I discovered this on my last long trip. I thought I was getting unusually good gas mileage, but it did not occur to me until I was about 2 miles from home that the gas gauge had not moved in 40 miles. That was about the same time the engine coughed and died. I was able to coast into the parking lot of a business that was closed for the evening. In my mind, I went down the list of all my buddies I could call to come get me, but as I went over the list, I realized every one of them was unavailable that evening. The only person left to call? My wife. And yes, she got a great deal of joy from having to come rescue me, and she is enjoying greatly telling everyone I ran out of gas AGAIN. I've really got to get that gauge adjusted!

W. Michael
First step in process is put ur wife out to the curb !
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:39 AM   #15
Big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
First step in process is put ur wife out to the curb !
That's not nice, just laugh with her, yes I ran out of gas, again? she did come to help you out!
Old 06-14-2020, 03:45 PM   #16
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by w.michael View Post

W. Michael

CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:10 AM   #17
J Franklin

If it was hanging up on the old screen maybe it is fine with a new unit in the filler neck.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:31 PM   #18
J Franklin

My wife thinks it is normal when I run out of gas, then she brings me a sandwich!