Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-11-2021, 08:12 PM   #1
mhsprecher

Default 45 Truck parking brake problems

The parking brake has not worked well on my 45 truck, so I adjusted it so it would hold. Problem was, the brakes were dragging when the brake was off. Delving further into it, the brake was only holding on the passenger side and not engaging on the driver's side. I took the brake drum off and even adjusting all the slack out of that cable will not engage that shoe. I am trying to figure out how to fix this? The brakes work great stopping the truck - it's just the emergency brake that I can't get to work.

I had assumed that everything was connected properly, but after lots of searching I may have identified the problem. Looking at a photo of a 40 passenger car brake assembly from the EV8 club forum identified during a search, it appears that the e-brake actuating arms have been reversed on my truck. Take a look at my pic plus one from a 40 that was posted on the EV8 club forum by Mike Kubarth. I also have a link to a parts drawing that shows all the parts to the brake, although this is for a passenger car. It looks just like mine. It's hard to be definitive about the assembly from the parts drawings, however

I'd appreciate comments about whether my brake is assembled properly. The first pic is my brake assembly, the second is a 40 passenger car pic posted by Mike Kubarth on the V8 club forum.

Thanks in advance for comments andsuggestions.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/F...s_46-48car.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9772 (1).jpg (67.9 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg 9EDB594F-3A78-461D-92B9-34DA759DEE09.jpg (40.0 KB, 66 views)
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 11:19 PM   #2
mercman from oz

Default Re: 45 Truck parking brake problems

Large picture of "mhsprecher" 1945 Ford Truck rear assembled Parking Brake assembly.
He asks if it is assembled correctly?
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 11:39 PM   #3
51woodie

Unless I’m missing something, it looks like the lever that is pulled by the brake cable is too close to the grease catcher, which would limit the travel.
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 01:35 AM   #4
rich b

^^^^^ I was thinking the same thing, if the lever is located so far forward at rest it would unlikely run out of travel before moving the shoes very far.

The book I have shows them arranged like Kube's picture; but other pictures show them like yours.

Playing at my desk just now with a set of brake levers and links; it appears to me they would work either way.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 04:50 AM   #5
mhsprecher

I have not removed the brake drum on the other side to see the difference, which I will do today. Thinking on it, I don't see that reversing them would make a difference, either. I agree that moving the lever doesn't move the shoes very far before it runs out of travel due to the grease catcher, but why is that? The only thing I can see that would make a difference would be to adjust so the tops of the shoes are closer together so they move more when the hand brake is actuated, but if they don't touch the shoes, what good would that do? My assumption is that adjusting the brake shoes so that they are closer together at the top would require more movement of the hand brake to engage the shoes to the drum.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
Old 09-12-2021, 07:46 AM   #6
Terry,OH

What size truck is this? From The photo of your rear brakes, I agree there is a problem and with the brake lever that far forward the brakes should be applied. The second photo on the right is NOT correct. The assembly of the brake lever should be like yours.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 08:05 AM   #7
mhsprecher

Terry,OH, hmmm. It's a half ton truck.

I would think that Kube's shot of the 40 brakes is right. As for mine, I agree that they should be applied given how far forward the lever is. Moving it by hand as far as it goes, it moves a tiny, tiny bit.

Searching again I came across this thread where someone had the same issue I am having and what they did to fix it. I was thinking this was a possible solution to my situation. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277228
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible

Last edited by mhsprecher; 09-12-2021 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:44 AM   #8
tubman

Maybe the parts are swapped side to side?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 12:17 PM   #9
mhsprecher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Maybe the parts are swapped side to side?
That's my theory. I am pulling the other wheel to find out. I will also check on part numbers on the lever to see, as well as the horizontal arm that actuates the brake.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
Old 09-12-2021, 01:25 PM   #10
supereal

I'd bet that the cable is hanging up in the sheath due to rust or road grime. This was a common problem with Ford cable brakes in 37-38, and hastened the conversion to the hydraulic system. Disconnect the cable at both ends and work it back and forth while applying a spray lube such as WD40. Don'y use grease, as it will attract dirt.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 02:58 PM   #11
mhsprecher

The latest: I removed the passenger side brake drum. the first thing I noticed was that the axle nut was not threaded as far on the axle as the other side and that a nail was used instead of a cotter pin on the castle nut. When I removed the nut, the threaded end of the axle didn't look great. I also measured both axles from the bearing out and found that the one on the passenger side was a little shorter. I'd say that that axle end was on borrowed time. It looks like I should replace the axle. What do you all think?

As to Supereal's comment, the cable seems quite free, but I will check it.

As to the brake mechanism, it looks the same as the other side, except that the spring on lever seems tighter and provides some resistance on the brake lever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1260.jpg (52.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1259.jpg (48.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1262 (1).jpg (51.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1263 (1).jpg (45.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1264.jpg (30.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1266.jpg (28.9 KB, 24 views)
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
Old 09-12-2021, 03:16 PM   #12
rotorwrench

The 91A-2108/2109 slotted links were the same from 1939 through 1948 but the green bible shows that the operating levers 91A-2103/2104 were used from 1939 through 1945. The lever changed to the 59A-2103/2104 for 1946 through 1948. Kubes photo is likely 1940 so that's what the 1945 commercials should look like. If someone used parts from a 1946 or later then there may be some difference in the early and late levers but I don't know what that difference is.

The lever has to engage the slot in the link in order for the E-brake to work at all. That attachment is what works one shoe toward the rear and the other toward the front. There are right and left parts for both assemblies but I doubt if they will even fit correctly on the opposite side. The photo in post #1 is not clear on whether there is an unseen link there when assembled. I'd have to see the other side of the lever to see if there is a good link there. This may be the difference between the early type lever and the late type lever.

If the lever does properly engage the link then I'd be looking at the shoes and drums to see if there is too much wear on the braking surfaces or there may be a mix up in shoes. There are early and late type shoes as well but I don't know if they would even fit on the wrong backing plate or not. The drums should be no larger in ID than 12.060". The linings were meant to fit a drum that is within tolerance. If the drum is worn too much than the shoes have to move too far to make contact.

Folks find all sorts of things wrong with the tapered end of the axles. I've seen the threaded end beaten down like that before. If some previous owner or shade tree wrench beat on it for an hour to remove the drum & hub the they likely had to reshape the end and re-thread it as well. This is not uncommon to find on this old stuff. The tapers can get worn from too much fretting due to a loose axle nut or a sheared key spinning in the hub. If the taper will still fit the hub and the drum doesn't rub the brake baking plate then there may be a bit of life left if the threads will hold a proper torque. Torque is important on a tapered shaft. It's common to find tapered shims on them too but the axle nut has to have a good engagement for proper torque. There are still good axles out there but it's getting harder to find them in this day and age.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-12-2021 at 11:19 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:20 PM   #13
Mart

Re the first 2 photos. the left hand pic, while something is wrong, clearly, is actually assembled correctly. the link goes towards the rear of the lever. The pic on the right is incorrect because there is nothing to stop the link popping off the pin on the lever.
Re the position of the lever, against the grease shield, with not travel available, is that how it is when the drum is on? Or has the emergency brake been applied with the drum off?
I believe there are different levers (and links?) for early/late brake assemblies, could the parts be mismatched?

A good measurement of the drum would be useful, as would a measurement of lining thickness.

The axle thread looks very dodgy. The tapered surfaces also look very contaminated with grease or oil.
They should be bone dry, as should the tapered bore of the hubs.
The threads need to be in good condition to enable a very high torque value to be applied to ensure no fretting between hub and shaft.

The levers have left and right on them (I think) so they shouldn't be fitted the wrong way round.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 12:37 AM   #14
rich b

Looking at your latest picture; part of the cable tube is missing. The spring stop clip bears against the tube so that is probably why the arms are not held back to the rear when released.

Looking closer at the picture of the other side you posted earlier; also appears the tube is broken (rusted) off too.

Doesn't explain why you can't get it to work tho.

The question about earlier and late levers is interesting; but I never noticed any difference between them.

Here's a picture I took of the normal inside tube length.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tube 3.jpg (44.4 KB, 19 views)
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 04:54 AM   #15
Ggmac

Aren’t there 2 sets of holes on the top of the shoes ? Could the post for the e brake be in the wrong holes ? Id have to get some shoes out to check since my memory stinks .
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:22 AM   #16
mhsprecher

"Looking at your latest picture; part of the cable tube is missing."

Interesting observation. The link to the parts drawing shows that tube, too. I think the truck was in pretty good shape when restored, so I doubt they were rusted off. I will look to see if there is evidence of the tubes having been there previously.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
Old 09-13-2021, 03:43 PM   #17
mhsprecher

Per Rich B's comment, I went out and looked at my backing plates. The place where the cable threads through the backing plate is bolted on, so it seems that there is that difference between my backing plates and Rich's. Pic attached.

The linings, while worn, seem to have a lot of meat on them. The drums may be a little thin. A friend checked them today and said that they were worn. I want to get a second opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1311.jpg (59.8 KB, 9 views)
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
Old 09-13-2021, 04:16 PM   #18
Bob C

Did he measure the drums with a brake drum micrometer?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drum-mic.jpg (34.2 KB, 5 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 04:20 PM   #19
Terry,OH

I notice the brake shoe retracting spring (2035) seem to be under some of the hand brake linkage. This can effect operation of the hand brake. The spring has to clear everything on both ends of the spring when installed. Just as a guess I would believe the pin on the lever (2103 & 2104) has over ridden the grove it is supposed to fit into on levers 2108 & 2109. It also appears if your vehicle has the passenger type disc rims it is a commercial and not considered a truck. Most of the trucks start at 3/4T
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 04:31 PM   #20
mhsprecher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Did he measure the drums with a brake drum micrometer?
Yes, he did.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible