Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-17-2017, 08:55 PM   #1
Duckfarmer27

Default This Week's Barn Find

I have lurked here for a long time and learned a lot - don't believe I have ever posted. Have owned a 1930 closed pickup for a while that is nothing special, but it runs and my grandson and I like it (he has claimed it as 'his').

Several weeks ago I saw an upcoming auction. Near me, definitely off the beaten path in upstate NY. Advertised a 1929 coupe. I checked it out on the preview day and ended up the high bidder last Saturday.

From what I'm told I am the 3d owner. Original owner was a female school teacher in a little town upper Hudson River valley. In 1947 bought by the father of the guy having the auction. It seems the family used it for what I would call 'supplementary transportation'. Rear shelf had a 1953 Esso map of NY, several bottle caps, some ammunition, etc. Usual tools, jack, miscellaneous hardware, tire chains, etc. Last registered in 1969, been sitting in two different barns since then. Auctioneer cleaned the dust off it and rigged up a small gas can direct to carb. Started and ran, moved it out of barn and under the tent.

I spent a good part of today clearing out all the junk, tools and lots of mouse nests. Looks like a brush paint job, there is one part of serious rot under the rear window. But overall it is in great shape - no bad rust through, doors fit well, hood aligns pretty darn good. By serial number a June 1929 car, gas tank stamped 5 1 29, KY 597 for plant (although the K is a faint stamp). So I would guess a car built in Kearny, NJ being sold a few counties North would make sense. Horn not correct, a Delco. Relays wired in for the headlight conversion. I don't believe the steps for the rumble seat are factory - but then I'm sure no expert and I'm sure some of you will offer advice.

Now to figure out how to proceed. Can't prove it, but I'm guessing the 59K on the odometer might just be correct.

Dale
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2077.jpg (79.9 KB, 546 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2078.jpg (72.1 KB, 454 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2080.jpg (65.8 KB, 440 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2081.jpg (72.9 KB, 459 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2094.jpg (66.3 KB, 501 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2085.jpg (47.6 KB, 421 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2086.jpg (63.0 KB, 424 views)
Duckfarmer27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:00 PM   #2
Duckfarmer27

Default Re: This Week's Barn Find

Some more pictures. Have many more, if there is something particular you would like to see let me know.

I should add that the floor boards that are missing in the picture are present - just had them out of the way. And also got the original owner' s manual - but it lost small parts to the mice.

Dale
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2087.jpg (68.6 KB, 367 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2099.jpg (72.2 KB, 399 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2101.jpg (74.1 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2091.jpg (78.0 KB, 355 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2097.jpg (95.4 KB, 428 views)
Old 08-17-2017, 09:12 PM   #3
Synchro909

Boy oh boy, did you luck out! If it were mine, I'd preserve it not restore it. They are only original once but I'd get that hole under the rear window fixed.
I'm green!
Old 08-17-2017, 09:18 PM   #4
Smooth_One

Wow! Great find! I second the preserve it and keep it original.
Reminds me of when I first got my car a few years ago.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:21 PM   #5
Smooth_One

Are the wheels in good shape? 4 out of 5 were good on my car. The spare was rotten too bad to use so it's just a decoration now.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:30 PM   #6
KansasRick

I can't tell for sure but it looks like a 29 Special Coupe to me. What does everyone think?
KansasRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:30 PM   #7
Duckfarmer27

Smooth -

Wheels all look to be in good shape at first look. The 4 tires on the ground all hold air - first time I saw it two were very soft. But to tell the truth, tires are in fine shape for being at least 50 years old. The newer ones on my pickup have more sidewall cracking that these.

Dale
Old 08-17-2017, 09:34 PM   #8
Duckfarmer27

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasRick View Post
I can't tell for sure but it looks like a 29 Special Coupe to me. What does everyone think?
Rick -

That is what I think - had never seen one before, or at least not conscious of it.

The top might be original - definitely older than the back part, which almost looks like it was covered with runner material. There was even left over of that material type on the shelf behind the seat. From what I saw on here there should be no seams in it, but you will see there are some - which is where the water damage happened. Kind of looks like a shade tree fix that did not hold up well.

But I'm open to ideas and opinions - I'm sure no expert.

Dale
Old 08-17-2017, 09:35 PM   #9
700rpm

Two words of advice: 1: Don't "restore" it, make it roadworthy with as many original parts as practical, preserve it and drive it; 2: Be VERY careful with the molding band that goes around the cab. These are extremely delicate, easily damaged, not reproduced, and nearly impossible to find.

I hope you appreciate that you are very lucky to have found this. These unrestored cars are very rare any more, especially coupes.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:37 PM   #10
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasRick View Post
Yes, it's a special coupe.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:38 PM   #11
Duckfarmer27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Boy oh boy, did you luck out! If it were mine, I'd preserve it not restore it. They are only original once but I'd get that hole under the rear window fixed.
I'm green!
Synchro -

You sound like my brother. Trouble is I think this will be for my wife - she has taken a liking to it. And the 7 year old granddaughter will eventually want parity with her brother. Wife is already picking out color combinations - I'm in trouble. And if I have to get into that might as well go through the whole thing as required. Plus the !@#$!@$#%#$@% mouse smell is BAD.

But I'm still scratching my head. Nothing will be done for a bit in any event.

Dale
Old 08-17-2017, 10:01 PM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

I would at least preserve it and drive it for a year, then see if you still would want to restore it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:05 PM   #13
Ed

As has already been said, you have a rather rare Special Coupe. The rear of the top has the roof fabric that goes down to the body line. These were made until early 1929, then the design was changed to a metal back on the top.

Do a little research about this body type before you get started doing any repairs. These are unique and a little different than other coupes. As 700 RPM has already said,,the molding on the rear of the top is extremely delicate and fragile.

If it remember correctly their is no metal underneath the fabric on the rear of the top, only wood frame work that the fabric is attached to. I also believe the top fabric is not the same fabric that is more commonly used on other Model A's. I may be wrong on some of this information since it has been a long time since I have been around this particular Model of coupe.

When you do your research I believe you will better understand what you have purchased. Take your time and proceed slowly with your restoration /repairs. ( there have been many projects that have been disassembled and forgotten)

Have fun, and do not hesitate to ask lots of questions.
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:35 PM   #14
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfarmer27 View Post
Synchro -

You sound like my brother. Trouble is I think this will be for my wife - she has taken a liking to it. And the 7 year old granddaughter will eventually want parity with her brother. Wife is already picking out color combinations - I'm in trouble. And if I have to get into that might as well go through the whole thing as required. Plus the !@#$!@$#%#$@% mouse smell is BAD.

But I'm still scratching my head. Nothing will be done for a bit in any event.

Dale
We are all only temporary custodians of these cars. Who is to say that what we do to our cars is going to suit the next custodian but original is original and can never be regained. Just my 2c worth.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:10 AM   #15
Randy in ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfarmer27 View Post
....................I don't believe the steps for the rumble seat are factory - but then I'm sure no expert and I'm sure some of you will offer advice...............
-
Nice find!! Keep the pictures coming - everybody likes pictures it seems.

As you suspect the rumble steps are not factory. Originally there would have been a similar step to what you have on top of the fender and another one mounted on the rear bumper arm. The one that's mounted on the front of the fender near the running board is definitely one of a kind!! The non-factory steps and a couple of other clues would seem to indicate that your coupe was originally equipped with a trunk (partial trunk hinges are still in place in the upper corners where rumble lid alignment wedges should be, and appears in one photo that the hole for the trunk lid handle is still there near the lower edge (?)).

I won't comment on what direction you should head - it's your car to proceed with as you wish. Keep the updates and pictures coming. Good luck.
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:34 AM   #16
RUNNERBUN

Thumbs up Re: This Week's Barn Find

I think that's a terrible looking car. Just because I'm such a generous sort of guy I will gladly take off your hands if you would ship it to Australia, at your cost of course.

You are one LUCKY DUCKFARMER. Congratulations on such a terrific find, have fun.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:50 AM   #17
29spcoupe

Ed is correct, the top around the rear window is not metal covered with fabric, it has a wood frame with padding covered with the fabric. My Special Coupe has long grain Cobra on the roof, don't know if that was original, but it looks appropriate. I have many pictures of my car while it was being restored if you have any questions. I don't know how rare they are but when I had mine in Hershey at least 20 people going by said 'They are rare, I have one.' It would be nice to know how many were produced, but as I understand the Standard Coupe and Special Coupe numbers were combined. Hope you enjoy your car. John
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:47 AM   #18
Duckfarmer27

To all who have replied -

Thanks a lot guys - appreciate all the comments. Please don't pull any punches - I know it is my (er, wife's) car but I really value the opinions. My brother has not seen it yet - and he is the original guy. I know he is going to beat the crap out of me to leave as is when he sees it. No thin skin hear so I'm open to ideas - but I probably won't load it into a container and send to Oz! I'm the same way with that 'other' car I bought the first time back in 68 that has less original miles than this one, but that is for another forum!

There will be nothing done to this car until next year at the earliest - I'm just gathering information and thinking at this point. Probably the biggest drawback is the paint - it just does not look as good as it could. We were out of town recently and saw a beautiful roadster - my wife said that was the color combination she wanted. Don't worry, this will not be torn apart and left, barring something happening to me down the road if I'm in the middle of it. I did that once as a 14 year old kid - never again.

I had seen some of the comments here repeated previously when I was researching this car the past few weeks. Especially about that trim piece. The end tab of that on the drivers side is almost broken off, other than that it is in great shape. I will be careful of it. this forum is great for all the knowledge.

Couple more pictures. In particular the top seam of the two different materials on the roof. And one looking down at the rear passenger side bumper. Had to have been rear ended - not bad - at one point. Damage to the fender is still there and bumper just slightly bent. That could have trashed the original step for rumble seat. But the conversion part makes more sense. You guys picking up the hardware is something I sure did not know. Will look at it more today and maybe a couple more pictures of that area.

Keep the comments coming.

And thanks again.

Dale
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2084.jpg (71.9 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2092.jpg (58.3 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2093.jpg (65.9 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2095.jpg (42.6 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2096.jpg (76.0 KB, 177 views)
Old 08-18-2017, 08:13 AM   #19
1crosscut

As several have posted already this may be one that you would consider leaving as is... to a point.
To me the interior is beyond saving and as you've said smells rather strongly of mouse. That smell is darn near impossible to get out of seats etc...
I would suggest pulling out the seats and stripping them down to the springs. Remove the interior panels and probably head liner and then power wash the begeebers out of it. That way it has time for the mouse odor to dissipate before you start to work on it next year. You can have an "original" looking car on the outside but be able to ride in smell free, dirt free comfort.

If your wife wants a car that is all nice, shiny and pretty and you like to do the work and are not worried about spending the money then go ahead and do a full restoration of it. If you are not all that big into doing the work or spending big dollars to make it new and shiny then you would be better off buying one already finished from someone else and most likely be money ahead.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:13 AM   #20
mhsprecher

Very cool. Taking it slow is the best way to go. You may need to buy your wife a roadster so that you can do this one the way that you want!
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote