Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-25-2015, 03:56 PM   #1
Ryan
Administrator

Default Fellas... I've had enough...

There are social cliques in this community... And through posts on the forum as well as through private messages, these cliques seem to be constantly battling each other and seemingly measuring each other's manhood.

The reasoning behind it all baffles me. This is, after all, just a forum about old Fords. I can't, no matter how hard I try, find a rational reason for anyone to attack or ridicule another person over an old Ford.

I have a whole bunch of kids. One of them is 9 and her class recently got to debate on the lunch menu - what is served on what days and things like that. Now if you have a 9 year old, you know how important this is to them. It's like three or four on their life priority list.

Anyway, the parents were told to sit on the sidelines and let the kids go at it while the teacher moderated. They argued back and forth over things like pizza and burgers for an entire hour. In that hour, not a single 9 year old called another 9 year old a name... And not a single 9 year old told another 9 year old to "shut up."

Amazing given the way some of you guys treat each other, isn't it?

I have a theory. Kids are honest. Kids are wholesome. They haven't been tainted by society and they haven't had their ego stomped on by years of the kinds of abuse life can bring. Grown men on the internet, however, are entirely different. Some of them aren't honest. Most aren't wholesome. Some have battered egos. Hide them behind a computer screen with a silly username and an avatar and all of this is amplified to the point of nausea.

If we were all at a bar having this conversation, do you think anyone of you would tell anyone else in the conversation to "shut the fuck up?" And if you did, how long do you think you would be welcome in the group?

So why on earth would you do it on a forum about old Fords?

I believe it's because some of you like the feeling of being something online you really aren't in real life. And some of you like to act online in a way that you are too scared to act offline. In either case, I don't like to host these kinds of fellas. I would rather them not be on my forum at all. Maybe that's my issue... Maybe I should be more understanding of these folks, but I've failed miserably when I have tried.

In any case, I'm done. I'm done baby sitting a bunch of kids at a name calling party.

- Want call some other guy a name because you disagree with him? Your account is gone.

- Want to constantly report another member's posts because you feel he is doing the same to you? Your account is gone.

- Want to team up on another group of members with all your buddies? All of your accounts are gone.

In short, I'm done fellas. It's either you or me... And it isn't gonna be me.

Note: To those of you that are just here to enjoy old Fords, learn a thing or two, or teach something to the masses - please excuse this post and understand that in order to end all of the drama, you might start to see some really common names around here gone.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:05 PM   #2
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron
Default Re: Fellas... I've had enough...

Well said and THANK YOU!
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:12 PM   #3
WestCoast

wow, what can be said? there are guys in here that are afraid to post because of some of the more aggressive people on here, well said Ryan
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:14 PM   #4
Jim/GA

OK by me!

I'm here to talk about fixin' and drivin' Old Fords!

8-)
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:15 PM   #5
Brentwood Bob

Understood.
In the future if I feel compelled to send a PM to someone I will request their email and do it off line. That way my impressions, and opinions will be only known to myself and one other person.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:19 PM   #6
VFRhugh

Ryan,
I just wanted to reaffirm the value of Ford Barn. I'm a newer Model A owner and folks on this site have been a treasure trove of useful information and help. I will admit that 90% has come though the private message system. There are a lot of wonderful people on this forum that want to help people like me but don't want to be attacked for it. Someday I may have enough knowledge on these old Fords to pay it forward.
Thanks for the site,
Hugh Howell
VFRhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:23 PM   #7
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFRhugh View Post
There are a lot of wonderful people on this forum that want to help people like me but don't want to be attacked for it.
That time has come and gone.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:23 PM   #8
MAG

I appreciate your comments and action. My hope is the message board will be a better one. Thank you for sponsoring it for us old car guys.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:25 PM   #9
Rowdy
BANNED

No problems here. To the best of my knowledge I have only offended one person here and did so after being publicly attacked. If it was more than one, it was purely on accident. My only goals here are to restore my delivery and find and share the changes and truth about some details of their production. Dispelling hearsay and misprinted info on them is part of the journey. Yes, I ask the difficult questions to get a feel for the info I seek. Hopefully next summer I will have enough info to go to the Benson and effectively research the leads.

I am the senior man and trainer on a maintenance crew of 5, with a supervisor that is only there for the first hour of our shift. Two of the mechanics are alittle green. So I have enough drama in my life. Rod

Last edited by Rowdy; 08-25-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:30 PM   #10
TinCup

Well said!
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:33 PM   #11
Slotblog

As the long-time rootadmin of a forum for a competitive hobby, I feel your pain.

Isn't it always the case that a small percentage of the members in any situation absorb the vast majority of one's attention by causing the most problems? As, in any group or organization, a small percentage do the vast majority of the useful work.

You'll never be able to admin a forum to suit the preferences of every member, so admin to suit your own preferences and let the chips fall where they may.

My goal is to run my forum in such a way that I'd want to be a member of it, if I wasn't the nutcase running the asylum.

Last edited by Slotblog; 08-25-2015 at 04:40 PM.
Slotblog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:55 PM   #12
johnneilson

Ban me so I can get off the forum and get something done!!

Ryan, much better to vent and ban than to start the slippery slope of censorship.

Good on you, John
Old 08-25-2015, 04:58 PM   #13
Slotblog

Please don't start waving the censorship flag. This is a private forum and therefore this is no guarantee of freedom of speech here.

The way things are these days in most countries, I'm not sure there is such a guarantee anywhere.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:06 PM   #14
mshmodela

Well said! All boils down that there are always a few that thinks they have larger balls than others and they might have but that's really pointless here as Model A's with 40HP, which really is not much balls less one puts one of those plastic ones on the rear bumper..

Tossing some bad fruit for the sake of the basket is always a wise thing to do.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio

Last edited by mshmodela; 08-25-2015 at 07:44 PM.
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:07 PM   #15
Ryan
Administrator

If requiring members of this forum to be civil with each other or, at the very least, to ignore those they don't get along with is an act of censorship, well then... consider me a censor.

Point being, opinions are cool fellas. Opinions will always be welcomed. However, if you can't express an opinion without bagging another person in the process, then this forum will not cater to you.

This is really just a matter of simple manners. Our parents taught us this, right? So, it shouldn't be too hard to extend those principles to a forum about old Fords.

As a forum admin with limited hours in a day to tend to admin manners, the really hard part of all of this to me is this:

I have about ten members that are constantly complaining about one another. If I had the time, I'd go back and look at years of post history to see who started what... But I don't. Further, I don't really care too... It's not fun... and this is supposed to be fun for me too... But because I don't have this context, I have no side in any of these arguments and long standing hate fests. Instead, I tell each side to simply be nice to each other, ignore each other, and move on.

You what the typical response to this is? They ignore me... and continue bashing each other on a forum that I provide to them at no cost what so ever.

That's really the part I'm done with. I'm essentially wiping the slate clean at this point and giving these people one last chance. But, that's it...
Old 08-25-2015, 05:10 PM   #16
johnneilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slotblog View Post
Please don't start waving the censorship flag. This is a private forum and therefore this is no guarantee of freedom of speech here.

The way things are these days in most countries, I'm not sure there is such a guarantee anywhere.
Not waving any flags here, nor expecting a guarantee of freedom of speech.
I have witnessed censorship (editing content) over the years a couple other sites that tried it and lost. There are engines available to squelch unwanted content and language, Ryan does alright as far as I am concerned.

If some users are banned, so be it.
John
Old 08-25-2015, 05:11 PM   #17
colin1928

Fine with me I am happy with the rules
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:14 PM   #18
Slotblog

Wish vBulletin had a like button...
Old 08-25-2015, 05:25 PM   #19
28RPU

So I guess if you type out something when you are upset, you need to wait a bit before you post it and re-read it. If it ain't nice, then perhaps you shouldn't print it.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:30 PM   #20
2manycars

Great news! Throw the bums out. Carry on!
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote