Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-26-2014, 11:02 PM   #1
Lona

Default Front axle problem

Continuing to do a complete inspection on my newly acquired '31 roadster. I'm familiar with engine work but don't have much experience with drivetrain issues. Attached photo shows driver's side axle. Took the wheel off and am not comfortable with what I see. The outer bearing shell is pitted and the rollers are loose so the bearing needs to be replaced. The inner bearing looks ok. However, the shaft where the outer bearing mounts has a worn depression on the bottom of the shaft as can be seen. Also, the inner bearing seems to have worn it's backing. There is a split ring (see photo) behind the inner bearing but it does not look like a manufactured part.....looks like a wire coat hangar was put around the shaft, perhaps to take up end play. The passenger side axle has the same ring but the shaft is not as worn.
What action should I take, if any, other than installing all new bearings. With new bearings, should the races be changed also? If I need to change the axles, who sells them? I normally deal with Snyders but they don't show them in their parts lists.
Advice on how to proceed would be much appreciated.......Glen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.4 KB, 218 views)
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:40 PM   #2
pat in Santa Cruz

Default Re: Front axle problem

the wear ridge on the spindle where the outer bearing rides is preventing the bearing from being adjusted properly. Someone shimmed the back bearing with bailing wire to push it out so the bearings could be adjusted. Welcome to the world of shade tree mechanics. We've all had to deal with this at some time in our involvement with old cars.

In a mild case of a ridge formed on the outer spindle, it can be ground smooth to allow the bearing to slide further in to adjust. In your case, the wear is excessive. Get some good used spindles. If you have no local source, try Bert's in Colorado. Replace all bearings and races with new. I would bet your spindle arms need reballing, too. Kingpins are probably worn out as well. In cases like this you might anticipate having to restore the entire steering. Its not a bad job, and the car will steer very easily when its done right.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:02 AM   #3
RonC

Bearing races and the cone bearings once used are a matched set and should not be mixed.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:18 AM   #4
Brian T

Something I see is the grease baffle is backwards along with the bolts, maybe that they were rubbing the drum so they installed a ring on the spindle to shim out the drum, ---- just a thought.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:57 AM   #5
BILL WILLIAMSON

Lona,
PLEASE, don't "cut corners" on these repairs, your life might be at stake!
Bill W.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:09 AM   #6
Tom Endy

The nuts and the bolts are reversed. The nuts should be outside on the backside of the backing plate. When reversed they can constrict rotating hardware. The snap ring in front of the small grease baffle does not belong there. The baffle is a press on. If it won't stay on by itself, leave it off. Repos are notoriously poor quality. Find originals or go without them if you can't find any.
Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:12 AM   #7
jw hash

the grease baffle look like one off a V8, it is not model A the one you have has little pipe spacers that the bolts go through, so the baffle is wrong the bolts are to long and in backwards. I suspected the hub hits the bolts and they spaced them out with the wire to clear the bolts.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:48 AM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

As mentioned, the bolts being backwards is maybe why the wire spacer was put in. From what I see in the picture, it looks like the spindle has enough wear to warrant replacing. Give Bert's in Denver a call for a good original spindle and grease baffle.
Bert's is closed Sundays and Mondays. 800-321-1931

Do the outer races fit snug in the hub?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:03 AM   #9
kenparker

Your axels/spindles are excessivly worn. As Bill said above "Your life could depend on their condition." Check condition of Balls and rest of the steering system. Looks like new Brake shoes. I have several sets of spindles and baffles. email me for more info. I just have not have not gotten around to posting then on the Swap Site yet. [email protected].
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #10
bobv

Looks like early AR style grease baffle that is on backwards with the wire spacer to allow newer non AR style hubs to be used. Without spacing out the hub it would rub on the nuts. I recently replaced those on my car, I think they are the wrong baffles for your 31.
bobv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:01 AM   #11
Lona

Thank you all for the responses. I have located new spindles through a fellow barner and am looking for a source in my area to have the bushings honed. Will be replacing the races and bearings also ...... Glen
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote