Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #21
eystein

Default Re: 68A seat base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
Actually you would need to install their cover and mark all seams to be sewn as well as cut lines with chalk, then remove the cover and cut, sew, etc. Obviously that is more work than most folks would care to attempt. It can also be problematic in some cases. some of their fabrics stretch too much and the stretch is relied upon to get a respectable fit. Additionally, those same fabrics would have to be sewn carefully with a moderately fine stitch at the binding so the loose weave of the fabric won't just tear out. Originally these fabrics were laminated to a layer of thin cotton muslin on the seat facings (or skirt) only which made the fabric strong and resilient. I did just that on the Coupe below 20+ years ago. I had located some old stock grey check and chose to duplicate Ford's version in every detail possible. It's pretty cool to be able to do silly things like remove the cushion to get at the tools and still feel like it's the "real thing".
Marco,

What material and Color would the edge binding be for a 1930 fixed seat Cabriolet ?

I am thinking that I might use the same brown simulated leather binding that LB-B supplies to finish the T14-GT top.

How did you laminate the muslin to the fabric ? Spray glue ?

Did you laminate the whole fabric side piece before sewing together with the cushion top material ? I guess that it is futile to do this after I receive the kit from LB-B, as I would want the muslin to be stitched together with the fabric at the seam with the cushion top cover and go all the way down to where the sides are tacked to the frame ?
eystein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #22
Russ B

Just a confirmation on the seat base, I received my seat springs fron Snyders and the bottom spring set nicely, almost perfectly, fits the lower base I built.

I guess I have an extra wood base of uncertain origin for a sliding seat! It would appear to be for an adjustible seat that did not have a "skirt" around the back sides. did all the sedan versions have the skirt feature?

Thanks again to all for the input to this discussion.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #23
eystein

Russ,

As I said in the post above, your frame resembles the frame on the 160-C, so I am speculating that this could be a frame that would fit all Slant Windshield models, or perhaps all the models with the metal base carrier assembly ?

I will try to remember to check the dimensions next time I go to my friends garage, or perhaps if he sees this post, he might answer.
eystein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:28 AM   #24
Terry, NJ

Russ, As I said before, I'm making these same seat parts for my Town Sedan. and the top piece is so far gone that I can't get any dimensions from it. I did get the width of the front piece (38" X 2 7/8") and I have the width of the side pieces (3 5/8") What I need is the width and location of the center piece and the length of the side pieces and the length and width and location of the rear piece. The holes (3/4") at the front are for the pegs/ studs/lugs that locate the top frame to the bottom frame. Thanks i advance!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ B View Post
I am almost done with building a new seat base frame for my Aug. '29 Cabriolet (no glue, no screws yet). I mostly built it using dimensions measured or extrapolated from my original seat frame.

I do not know about all the other cabriolet fixed seat bases; but what is interesting to me is that mine was built as two separate assemblies. The upper base is to mount the spring assembly; and the lower base assembly sits directly on the seat riser, and the finish layer of fabric is attached to this lower assembly. The two assemblies are screwed together as can be seen below, 4 screws per side.

The stacked assemblies with original seat base spring are shown below

As can be seen, the spring mount assembly is a couple inches shorter front to rear than the lower base; but the back corners of each line up pretty well at the back edge.

...and the new spring base. I duplicated two 1" holes found at the front, but have no real knowledge as to their purpose. My guess is they would be for jigging up the base and spring assemblies during its original construction. My old spring assembly has a front to rear slot that lines up with the holes. Two additional holes were originally drilled part way through this cross piece near the center of the board, on its upper side.

...and the new seat riser assembly.

the bottom outer edge of each was routed down about 1/16" by about 3/4" + wide. I am guessing the upper, spring mount assembly was partially upholstered after the spring was attached, but without the finish layer of fabric. There is some fabric left between the two wood assemblies on my original, but scraps of the original grey check fabric are attached to the bottom wood assembly's routed edge.

the two assemblies stacked, upside down.

I would welcome any comments on how you think the seat base was originally covered. While I am not doing a real restoration, I am always interested in how everything was originally assembled. Fellow Ford Barner - Eystein helped with photos and dimensions of other cabriolet seat bases and he is currently building a seat base for his cabriolet. It was not evident if other cabriolets originally had this two assembly manner of seat base construction.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:39 PM   #25
Marco Tahtaras

I intended to post this a couple weeks ago as a point of interest applicable to the subject at hand.