Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2017, 08:42 PM   #21
Dick Steinkamp
Senior Member
 
Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 1,163
Default Re: How much Marvel Mystery Oil per tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK PKNY View Post
I HAVE BEEN USING MMO SINCE 1960 IN MY OLD FORDS AND SOME OTHER BRANDS ON OCCASION. Works for me never experienced any sticking valves.

I've eaten mashed potatoes twice a week for 42 years . Never had any sticky valves in my cars.


Neither the Marvel Mystery Oil company nor the NTSB that investigated the cause of an airplane crash that they determined was due to the use of MMO, show any Wintergreen Oil in the product...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Mystery_Oil

The Company's 2015 MSDS says it is composed of...

-Petroleum Distillates (Hydrotreated Heavy Naphthenic) also known as mineral oil, 60-100%
-Petroleum Distillates (Stoddard Solvent) also known as white spirit, 10-30%
-Tricresyl phosphate, an antiwear and extreme pressure additive in lubricants 0.1-1.0%
-Ortho Dichlorobenzene, a softening and removing agent for carbon-based contamination on metal surfaces, 0.1-1.0%
-Para Dichlorobenzene, a precursor used in the production of chemically and thermally resistant polymers, <0.1%

According to the NTSB, it is composed of...

74 percent mineral oil, 25 percent stoddard solvent, and 1 percent lard.

If it works for you...great. But you might also try eating mashed potatoes instead.
__________________
All steel from pedal to wheel
Dick Steinkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:07 PM   #22
Crankster
Senior Member
 
Crankster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 330
Default Re: How much Marvel Mystery Oil per tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
... nor the NTSB that investigated the cause of an airplane crash that they determined was due to the use of MMO
Well strictly speaking, what you say is true, if you want to look at it that way. The facts are though they found several empty gallon cans, the mix ratio must have been off the chart. Everyone always brings up that hoary old chestnut as if it has anything to do with the effectiveness or suitability for use by folks who know what they are doing. Its use for freeing or preventing sticky lifters, valves, rings is long known. MSDS isn't always complete btw, especially with proprietary information.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-30-2017, 09:24 PM   #23
Terry, NJ
Senior Member
 
Terry, NJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bucks Co, Pa
Posts: 3,476
Default Re: How much Marvel Mystery Oil per tank?

From what I've heard about it, the FAA and the NTSB will automatically blame anything not "Stock" on a plane as the culprit in a crash if the pilot lives. If he dies, then it's "pilot error" or worse.
Terry



Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankster View Post
Well strictly speaking, what you say is true, if you want to look at it that way. The facts are though they found several empty gallon cans, the mix ratio must have been off the chart. Everyone always brings up that hoary old chestnut as if it has anything to do with the effectiveness or suitability for use by folks who know what they are doing. Its use for freeing or preventing sticky lifters, valves, rings is long known. MSDS isn't always complete btw, especially with proprietary information.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:32 PM   #24
Dick Steinkamp
Senior Member
 
Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 1,163
Default Re: How much Marvel Mystery Oil per tank?

https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.a...02LA181&akey=1

One empty gallon jug of MMO was found. The operator stated that they were adding one quart per fill up of a tank (18 gallon tanks). More than we would generally use, however.
__________________
All steel from pedal to wheel
Dick Steinkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:41 PM   #25
Synchro909
Senior Member
 
Synchro909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 5,726
Default Re: How much Marvel Mystery Oil per tank?

4 oz in a tank!?!?! Give me a % so I can work it out. You guys use something other than what we used to use as a gallon, yet call it a gallon and how much is an ounce? An ounce was always a measure of weight, not volume.
Puzzled.
__________________
I don't always go the extra mile,
but when I do it's because I've missed my exit.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:33 PM   #26
Tacoma Bob
Senior Member
 
Tacoma Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 973
Default Re: How much Marvel Mystery Oil per tank?

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I just follow the printed instructions on the container. It always reminds me of the leeeetle smoke capsules I put in my American Flyer electric train back in the 50's. LOL
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:15 PM   #27
Crankster
Senior Member
 
Crankster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 330
Default Re: How much Marvel Mystery Oil per tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
4 oz in a tank!?!?! Give me a % so I can work it out. You guys use something other than what we used to use as a gallon, yet call it a gallon and how much is an ounce? An ounce was always a measure of weight, not volume.
Puzzled.
4 fl. Oz per 10 gallons. A "Gill" may be what you're familiar with. Just give it a couple glugs every time you fill up.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:06 AM   #28
1930-Pickup
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: southern California
Posts: 725
Default Re: How much Marvel Mystery Oil per tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankster View Post
4 fl. Oz per 10 gallons. A "Gill" may be what you're familiar with. Just give it a couple glugs every time you fill up.
...and the MMO container is marked/embossed in fl oz, so you can double check your glug glug
__________________
"That's my wild unsubstantiated guess, and I'm sticking to it regardless of the facts!"
1930-Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:37 AM   #29
Chuck Sea/Tac
Senior Member
 
Chuck Sea/Tac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Between Seattle & Tacoma
Posts: 2,135
Default Re: How much Marvel Mystery Oil per tank?

For you naysayers———- when my engine was first built, it had a ticking noise. Probably a sticky lifter?? The man that built it told me to put mmo in the gas. The noise went away. A tank or so later, I left the mmo out. The noise came back. Put mmo back in, and the noise went away again. Been using it for 35,000 miles.
Also, believe it or not I’ve never had a no start, and I pretty sure it’s because of how I hold my mouth while stepping on the starter button.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:24 AM   #30
Synchro909
Senior Member
 
Synchro909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 5,726
Default Re: How much Marvel Mystery Oil per tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankster View Post
4 fl. Oz per 10 gallons. A "Gill" may be what you're familiar with. Just give it a couple glugs every time you fill up.
Nope, a "Gill is new to me. I've just done a little research. I US gallon is 128 fluid ounces (weird number!) so a fill of say, 10 gallons is 1280 ounces. 4 ounces in that is 0.31%. That would be about 125 ml. Wow, that is pretty low!
__________________
I don't always go the extra mile,
but when I do it's because I've missed my exit.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:55 AM   #31
Railcarmover
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 1,262
Default Re: How much Marvel Mystery Oil per tank?

I'd caution against using too much in the fuel, the intake valve and bowl isn't subject to the cleaning effect of heat the exhaust side has, any oil deposited in this area doesn't wash, it combines with carbon to make a tar-like substance.This is prevalent in an engine I'm doing now,a gummy build up in the intake bowl and back of intake valve,way more than there should be with a low mileage engine this is..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:37 AM   #32
Dick Steinkamp
Senior Member
 
Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 1,163
Default Re: How much Marvel Mystery Oil per tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
I'd caution against using too much in the fuel, the intake valve and bowl isn't subject to the cleaning effect of heat the exhaust side has, any oil deposited in this area doesn't wash, it combines with carbon to make a tar-like substance.This is prevalent in an engine I'm doing now,a gummy build up in the intake bowl and back of intake valve,way more than there should be with a low mileage engine this is..
I have used MMO and don't believe it does harm when used as directed and may do some good.

I've always wondered, however, how it can help lubricate the exhaust valve stem and guide (when used in the fuel). I can see that when it is drawn past the intake valve that it could coat part of the stem and help lube it. On the exhaust side, however, it is burned up by combustion before the exhaust valve opens.

Ideas?
__________________
All steel from pedal to wheel
Dick Steinkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:38 AM   #33
Dick Steinkamp
Senior Member
 
Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 1,163
Default Re: How much Marvel Mystery Oil per tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
For you naysayers———- when my engine was first built, it had a ticking noise. Probably a sticky lifter?? The man that built it told me to put mmo in the gas. The noise went away.
How does MMO in the fuel get to the lifters?
__________________
All steel from pedal to wheel
Dick Steinkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:47 PM   #34
Crankster
Senior Member
 
Crankster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 330
Default Re: How much Marvel Mystery Oil per tank?

Some of the oil in the upper rocker area (OHV anyway) manages to lubricate valve stems, MMO is made to be used in both the crankcase and fuel, they recomend replacing 1 quart of motor oil with 1 quart of theirs.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:04 PM   #35
Railcarmover
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 1,262
Default Re: How much Marvel Mystery Oil per tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
I have used MMO and don't believe it does harm when used as directed and may do some good.

I've always wondered, however, how it can help lubricate the exhaust valve stem and guide (when used in the fuel). I can see that when it is drawn past the intake valve that it could coat part of the stem and help lube it. On the exhaust side, however, it is burned up by combustion before the exhaust valve opens.

Ideas?

Soot quality of the exhaust aides in exhaust valve lubrication. late model engines from the 70's used mechanical and vacuum advance to reduce emissions,and basically shortened valve life by providing a cleaner burn which reduced soot and deposits ultimately reducing particulate emissions ...old Volkswagen trick to extend head life is to run an early mechanical advance distributor on a later engine,it didn't keep the advance pegged during decel,allowing the soot to build and ultimately a cooler valve..with the model a engine having a potential issue with exhaust valve burning the MMO,if it cools the fuel burn rate and leaves a deposit,could help.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:47 PM   #36
MikeK
Senior Member
 
MikeK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Windy City
Posts: 2,912
Default Re: How much Marvel Mystery Oil per tank?

A little over 30,000 gallons to fill the tank.

However, even empty, with a tank tare of 65,000 lbs this rig is probably already overloaded.
__________________
Mechanical engineering 101: If you put an adjustment knob, screw, bolt, or tolerance specs on something, some people will immediately fiddle with it. If you mark it DO NOT TOUCH everyone will mess with it.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:59 PM   #37
Railcarmover
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 1,262
Default Re: How much Marvel Mystery Oil per tank?

Silly...this is a rail car mover..

Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:21 PM   #38
Fordvicki
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 4
Default Re: How much Marvel Mystery Oil per tank?

started using mmo. I now have very faint oil residue at base of plugs
Fordvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:47 PM   #39
Fred S
Senior Member
 
Fred S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 134
Default Re: How much Marvel Mystery Oil per tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
4 oz in a tank!?!?! Give me a % so I can work it out. You guys use something other than what we used to use as a gallon, yet call it a gallon and how much is an ounce? An ounce was always a measure of weight, not volume.
Puzzled.
Ounce markings are on the side of the U S sold bottles. I'd expect similar markings for other countries.
Fred S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:22 AM   #40
burner31
Senior Member
 
burner31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Shawnee, Ok
Posts: 2,992
Default Re: How much Marvel Mystery Oil per tank?

Just use a mouthful mate.
See my earlier post
__________________
Keith
Shawnee OK
'31 SW 160-B
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 PM.