Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-04-2015, 08:28 PM   #1
G.M.

Default fun problem

I ran out of batteries starting the old Fords that haven't been run for 25 years. They are under the floor and I don't feel like taking one from another car. I have one ordered but it won't be here for a week. This a 36 phaeton and the starting process went faster than then planned. I spin all of these that haven't been run with 12 volts direct to the starter, so for gauges and ignition I hooked a small 6/12 volt automatic charger to ground and the resister side of the ignition switch. Gave it a shot of starting fluid and it fired on the first turn. I was so surprised I let it stall, started it again and it ran about 1-1/2 minutes and stalled. I thought it may have something to do with the charger/resister combo, tried on both 6 and 12 volts on the charger and it shuts off and the charger light comes on saying "charged" and the voltage to the resister is "0" I moved the charger out to the coil wire with the + ground to the engine. Runs the same short time and shuts off. I think the generator must be charging and the charger "thinks" the (no) battery is charged and cuts off. Tomorrow I'm going to remove the battery wire from the cutout and I think it will keep running. Years ago I had a bunch of trickle charges but couldn't find one today. Not getting much done but having fun. G.M.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:11 AM   #2
OhioRick

Default Re: fun problem

Creative George! Tinkering is the best thing about this hobby. Learn something new every day.
OhioRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:43 PM   #3
G.M.

Default Re: fun problem

Found the answer this morning. With the battery wire removed from the voltage cutout on top of the generator and the small automatic Walmart charger set on 6 volts hooked to the back of the ignition switch of the 36 6 volt generator, looked like 12 to 15 volts just open with no load but with a cheap digital meter it danced around some from ignition wire "noise". Got the 32 Cabriolet ready to fire up this morning, changed oil, MMO treatment down the carb (didn't have a wrench with me for the giant spark plugs) drained fuel tank but had to drill out the plug. Tank only had about 2 cups, rinsed twice with denatured alcohol and put in 2 gallons of no corn gas and a good shot of MMO in the gas. Flex hose broke in half when I tried to bend it so replaced it, blew air through the fuel line back to the tank. Hooked the charger to the ignition switch, gave it a shot of starting fluid, hit the 12 volt battery on the starter and NO FIRE not even a wimper. Checked the voltage to the coil and had voltage. Removed the coil and distributor, points were making contact all the time. Dropped the coil and distributor off at Skips house, didn't see him so I sat on the seat at his work bench. Called him when I came to my office and told him to hot test the coil, he said he already had it apart and was rebuilding it and the distributor and would put them inside where the 32 is in the morning. How's that for service? So should get the 32 running in the morning, may have to tear the fuel pump apart if it don't pump. G.M.