Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-30-2014, 12:33 AM   #1
ian Simpson

Default Please let me chose USPS

My wife and I own three very different collector cars on which I perform the majority of maintenance. I purchase parts from multiple vendors in the US on a regular basis (about once per month). I do not object to paying the likes of UPS or FedEx for transport of large parts that the USPS will not carry. But I am getting sick and tired of being hosed by these companies at rates that are often 300% of the USPS charges.

Where the vendor allows, I always specify USPS as the shipping agent and it has been my experience that packages arrive as quickly as by other carriers and at much cheaper prices.

There is an added benefit, the final carrier to my door is Canada Post. Canada Post maintains a pickup depot within a half mile of my house so that if I am not home to accept delivery I do not have to drive 15+ miles to the city to pick up my parcel. Finally, if the package is small enough it is left in my mailbox, what a revelation.

So Mr/Ms Vendor, it is my dollar and at my risk let me have a real choice of carriers!

Just my 2 bits worth after another hosing by UPS.

Ian
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:12 AM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Please let me chose USPS

You can put a sticker on your mailbox and UPS and others will leave the package when u are not home. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:22 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

6 weeks ago I ordered wire terminals from two different places. One package was lost by the post office and never came. The second package came two weeks late and here's how it looked. Looks like the postal truck did a burnout on it. Luckily the sender had the terminals taped in bubble wrap, so they were still inside, despite the large hole the post office put in the bag. The post office has lost and damaged so much stuff that I try to send most packages by UPS now. The UPS cost to mail a generator is about the same as the post office, if not a little less.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Post Office Damage1.jpg (63.9 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg Post Office Damage2.jpg (46.5 KB, 180 views)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:40 AM   #4
fiddlybits

1 - UPS did not hose you. If you feel you got hosed it was the vendor since they chose to ship that way.

2 - vendors will try to ship the best way possible for the best cost.

3 - I have not found a vendor yet that has not been agreeable to my requests that items be sent by a specific carrier. (if they do not normally use the carrier of my choice I may have to pay a surcharge for special handling but that has become infrequent) I live in an area that FedEx can not seem to ever locate....ever...so I do not want anything shipped to me by a carrier that can not find me.

4 - depending on where you are... your cost and service can vary greatly. I am right now muttering under my breath because a vendor sent by USPS a box that should have gone by UPS. Their excuse? It was cheaper for me... except.. I didn't want cheap, I wanted the part so I could install it. So.... I got hosed by the cheaper carrier.

5. In the case of UPS... sign up for MyUPS. You can be notified of and control your inbound package shipments including alternate delivery instructions and hand offs to the post.
fiddlybits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:49 AM   #5
Synchro909

A few years ago, I shipped a box built on a pallet from BC, Canada to Australia. The weight was near enough to 300 kg (660 pounds) so it was a big shipment. It was obviously too big for USPS so I went first to UPS. The quote was just on $9,000. Then to FedEx. They were within $20 of the UPS. For both of them I had to deliver the box to their depot. I finally found a company that picked it up from where it was and delivered it to Melbourne, Australia for $1,500 and they still made a profit. NEVER again will I consider either of those companies.
The fact that they were within $20 of each other and six times what they should have been strongly suggests that they have conspired to fix prices at the expense of people like you and I. There are laws against that in this country and I'd like to think the same applies in your country.
Thieves!
Old 12-30-2014, 04:06 AM   #6
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
Apples and oranges. UPS and FEDEX are package delivery companies, not freight companies.
Forever, As far as I'm concerned, the difference is minor and certainly does NOT justify charging 6 times the going rate. FedEx at least operates in this country so I have trouble seeing why parcel delivery by them is much different from freighting it here.
That said, I'd never heard of UPS before that so I might have done better than to even go into their office but six times!??!
Old 12-30-2014, 07:17 AM   #7
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

It was reported on the news about three days ago that UPS is increasing their charges. FedEx will follow I'm sure.

UPS or USPS for my area, never FedEx for numerous reasons. I don't have street USPS delivery so for large items or heavy, it's UPS to my door. I've had no problems with neither UPS or USPS.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:41 AM   #8
jimalabam

Somebody has to pay for all those Fed X wrecks of 2014...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:26 AM   #9
desotoguy

UPS does have a freight line. They bought out Overnight and it is now UPS Freight. As we all know, some of the shipping charges for packages are actually "handling" charges that are kept by the vendor and not actual shipping cost.
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:28 AM   #10
mshmodela

I agree some vendors websites need a little help. Many online business have a choice of shippers and will calculate the exact cost... This is all the common Model A vendors need to do.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:41 AM   #11
denis4x4

Having owned a mail order company, I have to point out that the correct shipping materials to make sure that your order is not damaged in transit are not free. Neither does the person that prepares the package(s) work for nothing. Yes, there are companies that use "shipping & handling" as a profit center. On the other hand, there are companies like Bert's Model A that bill the actual shipping charges. Years ago, I set up a FedEx account for air and ground and often times I supply the account number to a vendor so that I pay the actual charges.

Since the post office took the sorting operation from Durango and moved it to Albuquerque, priority mail service sucks. Too, if you want a USP tracking number, you have to go to the post office and deal with a counter clerk.

There is no easy answer, but blaming companies for the high cost of shipping isn't fair either.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:17 AM   #12
Willie Krash

On the morning of Dec 24th I won a set of dice on eBay needed for an early trade stimulator. It was in Medford Oregon Sunday and delivered to me Monday the 29th.
It came from Pennsylvania to Medford Oregon in that time...i.e USPS had it on Christmas eve and by Friday the 26th it was in Portland Oregon. It was free shipping to boot.
I ask USPS when I can get it as it's fast.
In my business I rarely pay shipping cost. It's free to me.
UPS and Fed-Ex it seems are giving deep discounts to the big guys and making up the difference on the little guys and retail.
In my case since USPS is an option it works out well.
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:32 AM   #13
whirnot

I think experiences will vary. For me USPS is cheaper but takes three times as long from Denver. UPS ground is one day. Regular UPS often says my address does not exist. Fedex is more expensive but is absolutely dependeble. The worst for me has been the combination service UPS/usps.
You mileage my vary......

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #14
Jerry in Shasta

Cheaper shipping via USPO,=$2 billion deficit. If the PO was not subsidized by the U.S.A government they would have rates like the rest.
JB
Jerry in Shasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:06 PM   #15
Willie Krash

Priority mail will move it across the country in 3 business days in my experience. I do not believe that the PO is subsidized by the US but they have to do what no one else must, congress makes them fund pensions 75 years into the future. Their revenue is entirely from sales is my understanding. UPS even uses them to deliver packages.
The question to me becomes if Fed-Ex and UPS had to deliver to the majority of American homes and business what would their rate look like!
Old 12-30-2014, 01:01 PM   #16
pgerhardt

I have noticed the two things that Snyders, Brattons, and Macs have in common is ridiculous shipping fees and the worst search engines on the internet. If Berts actually only charges true shipping costs. We should all vote with our dollars and give Berts as much of our business as possible. If it hurts their bottom line the others may change. I dream of a model A parts vender that becomes an Amazon affiliate (like Eastwood for paint supplies) so that I can use Amazon's excellent search engine to find my part and have it on its way to me with one click and free two day shipping (I am a Prime member.)!

As far as shipping companies go UPS is my favorite. They maintain a fleet of immaculate trucks (In fact they used to use model T & A trucks.) There trucks have local routes and local drivers who know me, my house, and where I like packages to be left.

FEDEX trucks and drivers come from who knows where. I have actually seen FEDEX deliveries made from rental trucks!

The USPS is of limited use to me. Like many, my mailbox is a rural setup. It sits along with 50 others all in a row about 1/4 mile from my house! If my package doesn't fit in my mailbox all I get is a pink slip which requires a drive across town and standing in line at the post office to get my package!

BTW both UPS and FEDEX offer a cheap option to shippers where they just deliver your package to your post office and they make the final delivery when they get around to it! That is not good for me so I set up a "my ups" account and have all these cheap deliveries automatically upgraded to UPS ground. "My UPS" also give me all kinds if email and text notifications about the status of every delivery.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:20 PM   #17
fiddlybits

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
I think experiences will vary. For me USPS is cheaper but takes three times as long from Denver. UPS ground is one day. Regular UPS often says my address does not exist. Fedex is more expensive but is absolutely dependeble. The worst for me has been the combination service UPS/usps.
You mileage my vary......
What is the distance between you and all of your neighbors? Delivery options and speeds will vary depending on your answer.

UPS is spot on and usually early for me while FedEx can never find me.
UPS Surepost (handing off to USPS) works perfectly for me but FedEx Smartpost (same thing) does not work at all. I am very rural.

Yup... "mileage may vary"....

Also... with yearly numbers of USPS 158 billion, UPS 4.3 billion and FedEx 1.1billion and a fleet size that is corresponding... I would expect to see differences depending on population density.

All that said... I found what works for me, at my location. That's all that needs to be done. (and sometimes... paying more for the delivery is cheaper than trying to find it or file a claim)
Find you shipping happy place and be happy.
fiddlybits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:31 PM   #18
CarlG

Both FedEx & UPS have one of their largest terminals in the world just 5 miles from my house. They are also the most expensive carrier ever! USPS is our friend here in Alaska for both inbound and outbound parcels.

My biggest gripe is the vendors (Snyders & Mike's especially) that tend to pay no attention to my request to ship USPS, and, of course, I wind up paying the higher rates and at no extra benefit to me.

As noted above, Amazon seems to have no problem at all using FedEx or UPS and the rates thru them are on a par with USPS, or sometimes Free if it qualifies for Prime.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:44 PM   #19
al's28/33

I have to defend UPS and FEDEX here, the US Mail has lost and damaged many parts over the years. I do not mind paying the added expenses knowing my shipment will arrive unbroken! There is no price for peace of mind!
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:16 PM   #20
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by al's28/33 View Post
I have to defend UPS and FEDEX here, the US Mail has lost and damaged many parts over the years. I do not mind paying the added expenses knowing my shipment will arrive unbroken! There is no price for peace of mind!
I totally agree with you.
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:59 PM   #21
31 Model A

I think it all comes down to location location location and the people who work for USPS, FedEx and UPS. Some don't give a damn and never have about government service or private companies who provide a service. These people are in for the paycheck only and care less about your property whether you get it or not. After all, it's not their property.................

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
Old 12-30-2014, 05:59 PM   #22
FL&WVMIKE

I have sold many parts on here and the AACA site. I use the USPS Flat Rate Priority Mail Sysyem, when ever I can. It is very fast and very inexpensive if you are shipping a long distance or if it is heavy.
One person stated that the USPS destroyed many of his parts, sent. He should re-examine on how he packages them.
Thank you,
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #23
Tom Wesenberg

When I used the post office I knew I had to package the parts to be bomb proof, but the post office still found a way to damage a generator. I told people how to package the parts they sent to me, and most did an excellent job, but that didn't stop the post office from loosing 3 in the past couple years, and damaging more. It's not fun spending hours filling out damage forms for the PO only to have the claim denied. I never had goods damage or lost by UPS or Fed Ex.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:29 PM   #24
JRHASZARD

Does anyone remember using Airborne Express out of Wilmington, Ohio?
JRHASZARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:56 PM   #25
darrylkmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRHASZARD View Post
Does anyone remember using Airborne Express out of Wilmington, Ohio?
JRHASZARD,

Yes, Airborne Express used to fly into and out of Fairbanks.

We here in Alaska love USPS, especially Flat Rate Boxes.

Darryl in Fairbanks
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:49 AM   #26
ian Simpson

I am sorry everyone, I did not mean to start a range war. All I want is the option to choose USPS as the carrier when I order parts. Your experiences with various carriers is not relevant to my wants.

I have been ordering items for various hobbies from Europe, the US and other parts of Canada for nearly fifty years. I have never had a package damaged or lost when carried by a mail service.

To be fair, I have never had a package damaged or lost by any of the courier companies either.

(I must live a righteous life, as although I was a 'frequent flyer' for several years, I have never had a bag lost or damaged by an airline.)

All I want is the option to choose the cheapest possible service, and in my location the most convenient, at my own risk.

Ian
Old 12-31-2014, 12:57 AM   #27
darrylkmc

ian Simpson,

I completely agree with you on having the choice as a customer to use USPS.

There are a number of companies that will not or at least would not at one time use USPS at all. Little Dearborn and Gaslight are two companies that would either not ship to Alaska or would not ship USPS, so unless I was getting stuff by truck I didn't order from them.

Also, I have never had a package lost by USPS, however, once I had a box that was smashed beyond recognition, it held an original rear view mirror for my '30 Phaeton, it was undamaged and not even a scratch on the glass, lucked out on that one.

Darryl in Fairbanks

Last edited by darrylkmc; 12-31-2014 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:35 AM   #28
Franchise_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian Simpson View Post
I am sorry everyone, I did not mean to start a range war. All I want is the option to choose USPS as the carrier when I order parts. Your experiences with various carriers is not relevant to my wants.

I have been ordering items for various hobbies from Europe, the US and other parts of Canada for nearly fifty years. I have never had a package damaged or lost when carried by a mail service.

To be fair, I have never had a package damaged or lost by any of the courier companies either.

(I must live a righteous life, as although I was a 'frequent flyer' for several years, I have never had a bag lost or damaged by an airline.)

All I want is the option to choose the cheapest possible service, and in my location the most convenient, at my own risk.

Ian

I guess if this is the biggest issue you have to deal with in life right now, you are doing pretty good. Happy New Year.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:28 AM   #29
mshmodela

Ian,

All fine, your views are very welcomed..

Cleveland, Ohio
Old 12-31-2014, 01:28 PM   #30
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylkmc View Post
...There are a number of companies that will not or at least would not at one time use USPS at all. Little Dearborn and Gaslight are two companies that would either not ship to Alaska or would not ship USPS, so unless I was getting stuff by truck I didn't order from them...
I actually talked Little Dearborn into shipping my (front) bumper to Alaska, yes, using USPS. Everything came thru just fine.
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 12-31-2014, 01:38 PM   #31
darrylkmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
I actually talked Little Dearborn into shipping my (front) bumper to Alaska, yes, using USPS. Everything came thru just fine.
Carl,

That is good news, I really like the parts that Little Dearborn has, maybe I will start looking at what they have once again. Back in the day before UPS or FedEx service to Alaska, truck or USPS were the only options.

I expect you are staying warm, +30 and drizzle here, I am staying off the roads.

Darryl in Fairbanks
Old 12-31-2014, 02:55 PM   #32
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylkmc View Post
... I expect you are staying warm, +30 and drizzle here, I am staying off the roads.

Darryl in Fairbanks
I'm actually in Seattle right now. It's colder here than at home in Anchorage! Be back to the warmth tomorrow (1-1-15)
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 12-31-2014, 11:29 PM   #33
hotrodA

USPS priority mail goes through FEDEX, Memphis, for sort and movement either by plane or truck. They have a complete sort facility (building) there. That's how they make the 3 day delivery.
hotrodA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:03 AM   #34
Tom Wesenberg

Wow, this thread won't go away............we need to get the post office involved, so it gets lost.

I recieved a letter 2 weeks ago from a real estate company in St Paul, 15 miles east of me. It had a stamp cancellation from California. How efficient is that?
Old 01-01-2015, 09:03 AM   #35
mshmodela

LOL, "So it gets lost"

Cleveland, Ohio
Old 01-02-2015, 12:25 AM   #36
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Wow, this thread won't go away............we need to get the post office involved, so it gets lost.

I recieved a letter 2 weeks ago from a real estate company in St Paul, 15 miles east of me. It had a stamp cancellation from California. How efficient is that?
It came from a bulk mail house, it's the only way that could happen.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:54 AM   #37
Y-Blockhead

Ok, Here’s one for the books.
I sold some M/C parts on e-Pay to finance my Stipe Shocks.
After selling some parts I pay postage and insurance, then take several packages to the PO. Thought that was the end of them.
One package though never showed it moved. Never even showed it was scanned in.
The buyer, obviously, never received the package and filed with e-Pay/Paypal. Paypal sided with the buyer and refunded his money.
I then went to the PO because, after all, the package was insured. NOPE. Since the package was never scanned in, even though I personally went to the PO and physically handed it to them, they claim they have no record of it and can’t honor my insurance claim.
This package weighed ~10 lb. How do you lose a package, IN THE POST OFFICE!!
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:18 AM   #38
CarlG

Here's a good one on the Post Office. Just before Christmas, I was attempting to print labels/postage at home. There was a screw-up with my printer and 4 package labels/postage didn't print. In the process of attempting a reprint, their program charged me again for the postage -- along with "new" tracking numbers. Labels/postage printed ok that time, and packages were mailed and delivered.

So, I applied for a refund on the first batch of labels. They denied the refund claiming that they had been scanned in. My response to them was: OK, since you won't refund the postage, and each package was insured for $50, please enter a claim for the undelivered packages. ($50x4=$200 vs $5.25 x4=$21).

Still waiting on their response to that one.

Even with the occasional screw-up, I still prefer USPS over UPS.
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 01-09-2015, 12:29 PM   #39
Y-Blockhead

Oh, I forgot to mention. Around here,most of the USPS carriers are Contract Workers who care NOTHING about You, Your Package or Public Relations. They work for a company that the USPS got the lowest bid from...
Old 01-09-2015, 02:03 PM   #40
Joop

Y-Blockhead
You got a receipt and on that is the scanned number that is your proof.
So just go back with your receipt and get a refund.

Never had a problem with USPS

Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:36 PM   #41
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop View Post
Y-Blockhead
You got a receipt and on that is the scanned number that is your proof.
So just go back with your receipt and get a refund.

Never had a problem with USPS

Joop, Yes, I have a receipt from e-pay for postage and insurance. Problem is I printed postage at home via e-Pay and PO claims they never received the package because there is no record of it being scanned in.

So I'm out a couple hundred $$ worth of parts plus postage.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:19 PM   #42
Willie Krash

Just an update re USPS. I put 6 shocks in a box and mailed it out of Central Point Oregon at 11:30AM, on the the ninth, Friday (1/9/2015).
It arrived in Ohio today Monday, 1/9/2015 and was delivered at 1:00PM.
Those 6 shocks are heavy. Shipping cost $12.65.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:33 PM   #43
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Krash View Post
Just an update re USPS. I put 6 shocks in a box and mailed it out of Central Point Oregon at 11:30AM, on the the ninth, Friday (1/9/2015).
It arrived in Ohio today Monday, 1/9/2015 and was delivered at 1:00PM.
Those 6 shocks are heavy. Shipping cost $12.65.
That was my friend Frank from Central Point who delivered it. He was taking vacation and was heading to Ohio anyway so he just took it along. BTW, he said thanks for the $12.65.............

Old 02-27-2015, 12:58 AM   #44
Synchro909

I am still waiting for a parcel posted i Phoenix on 16th December last year. Here is a section of the tracking report. Noice that it was in the LA sorting facility for 1 day short of 7 weeks. Since 29th Jan, it has been enroute to its destination but it hasn't even arrived in Australia yet. That is, it is still i the possession of USPS

Shipment Activity Location Date & Time
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Departed USPS Facility LOS ANGELES, CA 90009 January 29, 2015 11:41 pm
Arrived at USPS Facility LOS ANGELES, CA 90009 December 12, 2014 11:43 pm

Pretty rubbish, IMHO
Old 02-27-2015, 01:02 AM   #45
Synchro909

I am still waiting for a parcel posted in Phoenix Az on 16th December last year. here is part of the tracking report. Note that it spent 1 day short of 7 weeks in the LA sorting facility. Since 29th Jan, it has been in their possession on its way to the destination but it hasn't even entered Australia yet. Can't complain about the cervice - there is none!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 02-27-2015, 08:34 AM   #46
kenparker

I ordered a small item from Snyders this past Wednesday - two days ago.. A set of Chrome/Moly Head Studs. The lady on the phone asked if I wanted to ship them USPS Flat Rate Small Box. I think the rate is $5.75. I will keep ypuse guys posted as to when they get here. From Ohio to Van, Texas should take two days. ken
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:19 PM   #47
kenparker

Head studs came in mail this morning. Not Bad - 2 days from Ohio to Texas and the little box was not damaged. ken
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:24 PM   #48
johnbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenparker View Post
- 2 days from Ohio to Texas ...
Yeah but Ohio to remote north Wales UK by Fedex.. ordered on website Snyders 7.30pm Monday ( 1.30pm Snyders time) delivered here UK by 11.30 am Friday ( 06.30am Snyders time). Sometimes can't get a parcel from from London that quick!!!
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:33 PM   #49
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian Simpson View Post
My wife and I own three very different collector cars on which I perform the majority of maintenance. I purchase parts from multiple vendors in the US on a regular basis (about once per month). I do not object to paying the likes of UPS or FedEx for transport of large parts that the USPS will not carry. But I am getting sick and tired of being hosed by these companies at rates that are often 300% of the USPS charges.

Where the vendor allows, I always specify USPS as the shipping agent and it has been my experience that packages arrive as quickly as by other carriers and at much cheaper prices.

There is an added benefit, the final carrier to my door is Canada Post. Canada Post maintains a pickup depot within a half mile of my house so that if I am not home to accept delivery I do not have to drive 15+ miles to the city to pick up my parcel. Finally, if the package is small enough it is left in my mailbox, what a revelation.

So Mr/Ms Vendor, it is my dollar and at my risk let me have a real choice of carriers!

Just my 2 bits worth after another hosing by UPS.

Ian

I've had a lot of great service from the UPSO.

Sadly, I've also have had some doozy, horrible service. I've found that, even when they are at fault, that insurance they sell you is a bag of promise and more trouble then it's worth to collect on it.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:28 PM   #50
RonC

UPS is the most reliable
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:48 PM   #51
Fordors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
I've had a lot of great service from the UPSO.

Sadly, I've also have had some doozy, horrible service. I've found that, even when they are at fault, that insurance they sell you is a bag of promise and more trouble then it's worth to collect on it.
The only time I ever had an issue with the USPS was when a seller put an expensive book in a manila envelope and mailed it to me. When it arrived it was damaged, I emailed photos to the seller and sent it back for the insurance adjustment. Seller promptly returned my money including my return postage and informed me sending item back was not necessary. All that needed to be done was show proof of damage at local PO and turn item over to them. She had done nothing more than that and insurance payment was authorized immediately.
Proper packing and a legible address is a necessity, whether USPS, Fed Ex or UPS.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:21 PM   #52
Y-Blockhead

Had a good laugh today. Been waiting for a package for over a week now being shipped via USPS. Checked tracking today to see where it was. It actually moved 4.1 miles from one PO to another, both in California, both ~15 miles from my house...

Now I have to wait until monday to see where it goes...

USPS is the worst...
Old 03-01-2015, 06:00 PM   #53
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Had a good laugh today. Been waiting for a package for over a week now being shipped via USPS. Checked tracking today to see where it was. It actually moved 4.1 miles from one PO to another, both in California, both ~15 miles from my house...

Now I have to wait until monday to see where it goes...

USPS is the worst...
If I saw any movement on my parcel, I'd know something was happening. Check this from the tracking report:

41 days without moving!
Old 03-01-2015, 08:18 PM   #54
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
If I saw any movement on my parcel, I'd know something was happening. Check this from the tracking report:

41 days without moving!
Holy Cow!!! I do know from taking to our mail person that a LOT of the carriers in SoCal are contractors workers. But that shouldn't happen in a Post Office where I believe they are REAL USPS employees.

I go out of my way NOT to use USPS.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:29 AM   #55
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Holy Cow!!! I do know from taking to our mail person that a LOT of the carriers in SoCal are contractors workers. But that shouldn't happen in a Post Office where I believe they are REAL USPS employees.

I go out of my way NOT to use USPS.
I didn't point out in my earlier post that here we are at 2nd March and USPS still has the parcel "on its way to the destination" a whole 32 days after even that 41 days. It's now 80 days since it arrived at the Cal sorting depot and they still have it - somewhere but can't say where. What's the point of tracking??
Old 03-02-2015, 04:24 AM   #56
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
I didn't point out in my earlier post that here we are at 2nd March and USPS still has the parcel "on its way to the destination" a whole 32 days after even that 41 days. It's now 80 days since it arrived at the Cal sorting depot and they still have it - somewhere but can't say where. What's the point of tracking??
Whom have you called?
Old 03-02-2015, 04:28 AM   #57
Tom Wesenberg

I've found USPS tracking pretty useless. I bought some tire chains that came two weeks ago and the tracking still shows them on the way. Other tracking has been several days at some post office before it moves again.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:38 PM   #58
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Whom have you called?
Not being in the US, USPS won't talk to me. All I have is the online tracking site and the item number. From now on, I'm inclined to buy from the local guy and leave USPS out of it altogether. I am also waiting on a shipment by surface (much cheaper but slower - well, maybe not!) but the industrial strife in the west coast ports has it all tied up too. I'm not happy with the situation in the US at the moment. That said, I definitely DON"T want to offend any of you.

The port strike has been going on for months. A similar thing happened here a few years ago but the government backed the employers and broke the strike. Is something like that not possible under US law??? How does USPS stay in business??? Is it because it is government owned. The Australian Post Office is soon to be privatised. Watchem lift their game then!
Old 03-18-2015, 06:55 PM   #59
Synchro909

Angry Re: Please let me chose USPS

19 March, 2015. Still NOTHING after more than 3 months! Can I expect it before Christmas 2015??
Old 03-18-2015, 07:35 PM   #60
harleytoprock

Have you checked with customs in your country? Sometimes there are major delays because of customs.
harleytoprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:14 PM   #61
aermotor

For the heavy or large shipments Fastenal can't be beat. Pallets up to 1000 lbs. or so coast to coast distance around $175 or there abouts. Downside is that shipping time can be up to 2 weeks as this is back haul shipping. I have received 4 shipments of antique engines with one shipment of 3 engines about 950 Lbs. and 400 miles for $175 - never a problem with damage. I think continental USA only.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:44 PM   #62
5window

Could we just please, Please, Please stop all these posts about shipping? There's a new one every other day and there's never any resolution. I like A you like B we don't like C. Almost All packages are delivered safely and correctly. None of these posts get a damn thing done except push valuable posts further down the page.

UPS and FedEx ship 25 million packages a day. USPS processes 523 million pieces of mail a day. Stop already.

Last edited by 5window; 03-18-2015 at 09:53 PM.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:59 AM   #63
Synchro909

3 Months now since my parcel was posted and still nothing. USPS tracking says it is on its way to the destination. Really?!?!
Old 03-19-2015, 04:43 PM   #64
Synchro909

Angry Re: Please let me chose USPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleytoprock View Post
Have you checked with customs in your country? Sometimes there are major delays because of customs.
Yes, The USPS tracking number is recorded when an item enters the country. It is given a new number by our Post Office so they can track it. That is, by cross referencing the two numbers, it is trackable all the way. They checked whether it had been scanned yet while I waited on the phone. Nothing! It hasn't entered the country yet so its still in USPS hands. I'm wondering whether the strike on your west coast ports has affected USPS services as well even though it should be sent air mail. Either way, I'm not happy.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:14 PM   #65
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Yes, The USPS tracking number is recorded when an item enters the country. It is given a new number by our Post Office so they can track it. That is, by cross referencing the two numbers, it is trackable all the way. They checked whether it had been scanned yet while I waited on the phone. Nothing! It hasn't entered the country yet so its still in USPS hands. I'm wondering whether the strike on your west coast ports has affected USPS services as well even though it should be sent air mail. Either way, I'm not happy.
What is the last place the package was tracked to? Where on the west coast? PM me the tracking number and I'll see what I can do for you.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:34 AM   #66
Fordors

Mike, his post # 54 showed the package departed a facility at Zip Code 90009. That is not a conventional Z/C as we know it, rather it is a building where overseas packages go for sorting and eventual delivery via a contract air carrier. Cities with international airports (Chicago has 60009, a building near O'Hare) have such an arrangment, but to me the unknown here is what happens on the other end. Did the package arrive in AU but never get scanned in there? Scanned and listed as departed means it was lost either on the plane or in Synchro's home country.
Regardless, it puts the USPS in a difficult position. Was it scanned but then lost at the 90009 building before getting on the plane, lost on the plane or lost in Australia? The package may have sat for 42 days at 90009 before being shown as departed but it could not have been shown with that status without in fact being scanned in. Each successive scan shows another step in the journey.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:27 PM   #67
CarlG

Last time I sent an international package (from Alaska to UK), it was last scanned in LA & then no more until actual delivery, which I didn't get notice of (from the Post Office) until a month after the recipient told me they got the package.
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 04-29-2015, 11:47 PM   #68
Allanw

Thread Dredge!

Yesterday, April 29 2015; I received a small package, not much bigger than a greeting card. USPS Mailing Office Date Stamp: July 18 2014

"Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound"

Last edited by Allanw; 04-30-2015 at 05:43 PM. Reason: oopsie
Allanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:08 AM   #69
Jeff/Illinois

How come the USPS never lost draft notices back in the late 60's
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:43 AM   #70
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post

Tom, I already apologized for starting this thread and I promise never to start another.

Ian
Old 04-30-2015, 01:40 PM   #71
brito36

When I order parts from parts suppliers, I specify that they are to be sent USPS. I have no problem at all with the USPS.
brito36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:46 PM   #72
Fordors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanw View Post
Thread Dredge!

Yesterday, May 29 2015; I received a small package, not much bigger than a greeting card. USPS Mailing Office Date Stamp: July 18 2014

Yesterday, May 29? Sounds like an episode from the old TV show "The Twilight Zone."
Old 04-30-2015, 05:44 PM   #73
Allanw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordors View Post
Yesterday, May 29? Sounds like an episode from the old TV show "The Twilight Zone."

Ooops... It's May today...

here in the future, in NZ
"Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound"
Allanw is offline   Reply With Quote