Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-18-2015, 08:14 PM   #61
aermotor

Default Re: Please let me chose USPS

For the heavy or large shipments Fastenal can't be beat. Pallets up to 1000 lbs. or so coast to coast distance around $175 or there abouts. Downside is that shipping time can be up to 2 weeks as this is back haul shipping. I have received 4 shipments of antique engines with one shipment of 3 engines about 950 Lbs. and 400 miles for $175 - never a problem with damage. I think continental USA only.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:44 PM   #62
5window

Could we just please, Please, Please stop all these posts about shipping? There's a new one every other day and there's never any resolution. I like A you like B we don't like C. Almost All packages are delivered safely and correctly. None of these posts get a damn thing done except push valuable posts further down the page.

UPS and FedEx ship 25 million packages a day. USPS processes 523 million pieces of mail a day. Stop already.

Last edited by 5window; 03-18-2015 at 09:53 PM.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:59 AM   #63
Synchro909

3 Months now since my parcel was posted and still nothing. USPS tracking says it is on its way to the destination. Really?!?!
Old 03-19-2015, 04:43 PM   #64
Synchro909

Angry Re: Please let me chose USPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleytoprock View Post
Have you checked with customs in your country? Sometimes there are major delays because of customs.
Yes, The USPS tracking number is recorded when an item enters the country. It is given a new number by our Post Office so they can track it. That is, by cross referencing the two numbers, it is trackable all the way. They checked whether it had been scanned yet while I waited on the phone. Nothing! It hasn't entered the country yet so its still in USPS hands. I'm wondering whether the strike on your west coast ports has affected USPS services as well even though it should be sent air mail. Either way, I'm not happy.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:14 PM   #65
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Yes, The USPS tracking number is recorded when an item enters the country. It is given a new number by our Post Office so they can track it. That is, by cross referencing the two numbers, it is trackable all the way. They checked whether it had been scanned yet while I waited on the phone. Nothing! It hasn't entered the country yet so its still in USPS hands. I'm wondering whether the strike on your west coast ports has affected USPS services as well even though it should be sent air mail. Either way, I'm not happy.
What is the last place the package was tracked to? Where on the west coast? PM me the tracking number and I'll see what I can do for you.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:34 AM   #66
Fordors

Mike, his post # 54 showed the package departed a facility at Zip Code 90009. That is not a conventional Z/C as we know it, rather it is a building where overseas packages go for sorting and eventual delivery via a contract air carrier. Cities with international airports (Chicago has 60009, a building near O'Hare) have such an arrangment, but to me the unknown here is what happens on the other end. Did the package arrive in AU but never get scanned in there? Scanned and listed as departed means it was lost either on the plane or in Synchro's home country.
Regardless, it puts the USPS in a difficult position. Was it scanned but then lost at the 90009 building before getting on the plane, lost on the plane or lost in Australia? The package may have sat for 42 days at 90009 before being shown as departed but it could not have been shown with that status without in fact being scanned in. Each successive scan shows another step in the journey.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:27 PM   #67
CarlG

Last time I sent an international package (from Alaska to UK), it was last scanned in LA & then no more until actual delivery, which I didn't get notice of (from the Post Office) until a month after the recipient told me they got the package.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:47 PM   #68
Allanw

Thread Dredge!

Yesterday, April 29 2015; I received a small package, not much bigger than a greeting card. USPS Mailing Office Date Stamp: July 18 2014

"Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound"

Last edited by Allanw; 04-30-2015 at 05:43 PM. Reason: oopsie
Allanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:08 AM   #69
Jeff/Illinois

How come the USPS never lost draft notices back in the late 60's
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:43 AM   #70
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Wow, this thread won't go away............we need to get the post office involved, so it gets lost.

I recieved a letter 2 weeks ago from a real estate company in St Paul, 15 miles east of me. It had a stamp cancellation from California. How efficient is that?
Tom, I already apologized for starting this thread and I promise never to start another.

Ian
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:40 PM   #71
brito36

When I order parts from parts suppliers, I specify that they are to be sent USPS. I have no problem at all with the USPS.
brito36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:46 PM   #72
Fordors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanw View Post
Thread Dredge!

Yesterday, May 29 2015; I received a small package, not much bigger than a greeting card. USPS Mailing Office Date Stamp: July 18 2014

Yesterday, May 29? Sounds like an episode from the old TV show "The Twilight Zone."
Old 04-30-2015, 05:44 PM   #73
Allanw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordors View Post
Yesterday, May 29? Sounds like an episode from the old TV show "The Twilight Zone."

Ooops... It's May today...

here in the future, in NZ
"Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound"
Allanw is offline   Reply With Quote