Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
ctaulbert

Default Looking to ID 24 stud Aluminum Heads

I searched through previous aluminum head threads, and couldn't find anything that helped identify these heads. To start off, there aren't any Ford markings, or part numbers anywhere on the heads. It doesn't appear that anything has been ground off either. The only markings are behind the water outlets (the intake facing side). Both heads have what appear to be "3" inside a circle, with "2" below it. There is only one water port cast and drilled per head by the water outlets. Both heads do have a small water port drilled in the top corners (which are currently plugged), but I assume those to be added during their life. I haven't measured the combustion chamber as I don't have anything to do it myself, but they appear to be somewhat large?

Do you guys have any ideas?

Old 10-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Looking to ID 24 stud Aluminum Heads

No Ford numbers on front, none on top roll, no signs of anything ground off as far as I can see...
If that's right these must be aftermarket. The small number of auxiliary ports probably means laid out in 1938, as by 1939 there were more to allow the new water type heater.
Ford heads really had to have at least prefix numbers since there were otherwise too many for the parts guys and mechanics to keep track of.
Do a quick and crude CC job (see in post on Denver heads) which will give a reasonable approximation of volume. If up in the 70's, just normal replacement heads of unknown aftermarket origin...if down toward low 60's, something's going on here...
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
ctaulbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
No Ford numbers on front, none on top roll, no signs of anything ground off as far as I can see...
If that's right these must be aftermarket. The small number of auxiliary ports probably means laid out in 1938, as by 1939 there were more to allow the new water type heater.
Ford heads really had to have at least prefix numbers since there were otherwise too many for the parts guys and mechanics to keep track of.
Do a quick and crude CC job (see in post on Denver heads) which will give a reasonable approximation of volume. If up in the 70's, just normal replacement heads of unknown aftermarket origin...if down toward low 60's, something's going on here...
Thanks Bruce - always look to you for the answer!

I cc'd the combustion chambers tonight. I taped the plug hole, and leveled the head with the block side facing up. I then filled the combustion chamber using a syringe until it was full. The surface tension in the water was letting it bubble up sort of, but I estimated that the bubble effect was roughly equal to the quench area that wasn't quite filled.

It came in at 87 cc.....which may be high?....or a little measuring error using the syringe graduations.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
Ol' Ron

See how important it is to measure, those charts are great if you KNOW the size of the chamber.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote