Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-06-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
ford31

Default starter

pulled starter has broken bendix spring,had old starter pulled bendix off, junk starter has larger bolts maybe 3/8,starter on my pickup has smaller bolts maybe 5/16 both bendix springs look same are these starter parts interchangable other than bolt size
ford31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:25 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: starter

No, you need the correct spring for the smaller bolts. Little Dearborn in Mpls had some the last time I checked. 612-331- 2066

If Little Dearborn doesn't have any Bert's probably does, 800-321-1931

Also, some of the springs like you need must have the shim that fits under the end coil on each end of the spring. I saw Bratton's was selling this shim. 800-255-1929
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
ford31

maybe my spare starter with larger bolts would be a better choice over the smaller bolt version,thats probably why old spring broke thanks Tom
Old 03-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
ford31

update on starter,my junk starter took band off brushes looked new comutator nice and bright looked maybe good,put its bendix back on ran great 1 puzzle under band has duck tape I have seen this before wonder why?
Old 03-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
criswellnk

The duct tape acts as a type of gasket to help keep any dust/dirt or contaminents out of the starter yoke.

Looking for a copy or reprint of 1932 A.E.A. Universal Catalog of Genuine Electrical Service Parts
criswellnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
Kurt in NJ

Some later starters--I don't remember what car had paper, it crumbled, tape is easy, perhaps to waterproof better
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
ford31

thanks,need to figure what to do with starter I took off,had it rebuilt 3 years ago with 12 volt windings,cost was 148.00, has broken bendix spring,trying to remember,I think this is starter off my 29 pickup,had it rebuilt for 31 and changed to 12 volts,1 I have now on 31 is its original starter but 6 volts,1 more item for others put starter on mounted fuse to starter switch turned safty switch on bam blew fuse,metered to ground (shorted to ground) pulled fuse assy off where bolt goes thru is isolated from base with 2 insulated washers,when I tighted must have moved a tiny bit and shorted bolt to gd may I can make a better 1,I have it ok for now but not a good idea
Old 03-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
Jim Brierley

The larger-bolt Bendix is V8, that's the ones I use as I believe they are stronger.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
ford31

thanks I sure have learned alot about starters in the last couple days,my questions are maybe dumb but needed
Old 03-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
Purdy Swoft

If its not the early starter with the 1/2 inch armature shaft, the large or small bolt starter drives will interchange, as long as you replace the whole unit spring and all. I run my roadster on twelve volt. I have run others on 12 volt and feel that changeing the field coils in the starter or generator to the smaller 12 volt windings is a waste of money and effort. The original bendix drive is likely to eventually give trouble no mater what voltage you run. I now use the modern starter drive from Snyders, no bolts to drop or springs to break and have never had one moments problem.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #11
ford31

so modern drive will fit my starter with small bolts?
Old 03-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
ford31

is there anything need to know putting modern drive on,
Old 03-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #13
Purdy Swoft

The small or large bolts, thread into the starter drive itself, not the armature shaft. Either starter drive, small or large bolt will interchange on the 5/8 armature shaft as long as you use the whole starter drive, spring and all. The modern starter drive comes with instructions and was no problem to install. Some feel that 12 volts is harder on the starter drive. This is just a good example that the original style starter drive is subject to drop bolts or break springs, no matter what volt or even if a person goes to the expense of changeing to the smaller wire 12 volt field coils. The small wire of the 12 volt field coils will only weaken and slow the starter down. Larger wire will run cooler on 12 volt. I have run six volt starters on model A's, flathead V8's and Y blocks on 12 volts since I was a teenager with good results and quick starts. The problem with the fuse blowing could be caused by using Too long of screw to attach the starter switch and fuse holder. The screw, if too long will short against the field coils, inside the starter.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 03-08-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote