Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
Rubatoguy

Default Correct way to fit Engine stand adapter

I purchased an engine stand adapter - Ford part number, but am having trouble figuring out how to correctly attach it. It looks like it bolts to the water return outlet on the left side of the block, and if I do that, the bolts that are used for the water outlet are too long. The bottom part of the adapter lines up with the oil pan holes, but the metal bracket is about 1/4 inch above the block and the threaded hole is a larger diameter than the oil pan bolts. So, I was wondering if anyone could offer any help on how to correctly attach it. Oddly enough, Home depot carries no 7/16" bolts that I was trying to get in the proper length to attach the stand to the water return. (I hate looking for nuts and bolts at HD.)

Any help?
thanks, Todd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine stand 2.jpg (44.7 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg iphone todd 033.jpg (37.1 KB, 114 views)
Rubatoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Correct way to fit Engine stand adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubatoguy View Post
I purchased an engine stand adapter - Ford part number, but am having trouble figuring out how to correctly attach it. It looks like it bolts to the water return outlet on the left side of the block, and if I do that, the bolts that are used for the water outlet are too long. The bottom part of the adapter lines up with the oil pan holes, but the metal bracket is about 1/4 inch above the block and the threaded hole is a larger diameter than the oil pan bolts. So, I was wondering if anyone could offer any help on how to correctly attach it. Oddly enough, Home depot carries no 7/16" bolts that I was trying to get in the proper length to attach the stand to the water return. (I hate looking for nuts and bolts at HD.)

Any help?
thanks, Todd
Todd, the studs for the pan rail bolt holes are generally pointed (i.e.: threaded stud sharpened on one end) which allows them to fit into the holes to provide a little stability. The main portion of the load is carried by both of the water inlet bolts.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
Joe K

This looking like the two closely drilled holes on the top connection should be joined into a "slot" using a rat-tale file. Granted, not what you were expecting - today's culture we have an expectation of being able to use ANYTHING right out of the box without modification. But this little field adaptation would allow the bottom connection to be made up properly.

Agreed on the Home Depot bolt issue. Their bolt selection is at best "challenged." Allthread and a nut works. Also stacking washers. Again, not exactly what you might expect right out of the box.

You might want to save those dome headed bolts used on the water inlet connection though. I can see a lot of stress on this motor mount and better to risk this on modern bolts rather than the dome heads. Save those.

Joe K
Old 05-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

7/16" bolts are hard to find, and your best chance is to find a good OLD hardware store.

Unfortunately they are also hard to find.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
7/16" bolts are hard to find, and your best chance is to find a good OLD hardware store.

Unfortunately they are also hard to find.
They are a "dead" size like #12.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
firetique57

I found bolts at my local town hardware store (Ace) took one of the water jacket bolts with me and I purchased grade 8. Probably a little over kill with the grade 8's buy hey.....
firetique57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
Fred K-OR

Todd,

Shouldn't the adapter be moved down into the two holes above where you have it so that the bottom would fit on the oil pan bolts? I am sure you have tried this but just thought I would mention. Joek's ideas above may also be a good idea because it would seem like it would be a good idea to bolt the bottom of this thing to the oil pan flange.

Greatings from Banks, OR!
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
James Rogers

I buy 7/16" bolts by the hundred and the bolts used in the bottom for the pan rail are studs that are shot into concrete with a Ramset type driver. I will post pictures of both later. The bolts for the water inlet will work with a few washers for spacers and you can use a 1/4-20 bolt with the head cut off and a nut on the top and bottom of the adapter.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #9
Rubatoguy

Thanks for all the great replies! I'll try them out and post the results. I had gone to HD looking for some grade 8 bolts. We have a WILCO farm supply store here that has a better selection, I will try them next.

I tried the other bolt holes, but they raised the adapter too high to fit the bottom bolts - I'll check again. My main concern was not wanting to break the lip of the block where the oil pan bolts to.

regards,
Todd
Rubatoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubatoguy View Post
Thanks for all the great replies! I'll try them out and post the results. I had gone to HD looking for some grade 8 bolts. We have a WILCO farm supply store here that has a better selection, I will try them next.

I tried the other bolt holes, but they raised the adapter too high to fit the bottom bolts - I'll check again. My main concern was not wanting to break the lip of the block where the oil pan bolts to.

regards,
Todd
You don't need grade 8 bolts grade 5 will work fine and any hardware will carry them. You would never break the pan rail unless you just beat it together or pry it unmercifully.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #11
Don/WI

The engine adaptor that I have has two sets of holes, with one set used for Model A engines and the other set used for Model T engines. This adaptor is made by Bill Stipe and sold by Brattons. Don/WI
Don/WI is offline   Reply With Quote