Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-24-2023, 04:04 PM   #1
arnhemmer

Default rear end removal

I'm about ready to remove the rear end in order to replace the ring and pinion gears. I have a Mitchel O.D. installed. Is it possible to remove the rear end from the Mitchel, leaving it attached to the tranny?
arnhemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 12:42 AM   #2
Tom Endy

Default Re: rear end removal

I believe it can be done if there is enough clearance at the back of the rear end. I would certainly do it with a spring spreader and leave the spring attached to the car. You should be able to remove the six bolts at the banjo and slide the rear end out with just the stub shaft attached.

I have not done it, but we did remove a Mitchell overdrive transmission for repair by disconnecting it at the bolts in front of the overdrive transmission housing and slid it off with the rear end leaving the front tube of the overdrive connected to the Model A transmission. Be sure to support the overdrive with a jackstand if you are able to get the rear end out.

When reinstalling you will have to put the Model A transmission in high gear and crank the engine over to re-engage the splines.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 08:52 AM   #3
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
I believe it can be done if there is enough clearance at the back of the rear end. I would certainly do it with a spring spreader and leave the spring attached to the car. You should be able to remove the six bolts at the banjo and slide the rear end out with just the stub shaft attached.

I have not done it, but we did remove a Mitchell overdrive transmission for repair by disconnecting it at the bolts in front of the overdrive transmission housing and slid it off with the rear end leaving the front tube of the overdrive connected to the Model A transmission. Be sure to support the overdrive with a jackstand if you are able to get the rear end out.

When reinstalling you will have to put the Model A transmission in high gear and crank the engine over to re-engage the splines.

Tom Endy
Good info Tom.

This is the first time I have heard of repairing a Mitchell O/D but something that did concern me. Curious what 'broke'? I assume you had to send the unit to Mitchell.? How long did it take to get it back? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnhemmer View Post
I'm about ready to remove the rear end in order to replace the ring and pinion gears. I have a Mitchel O.D. installed. Is it possible to remove the rear end from the Mitchel, leaving it attached to the tranny?
That makes a lot more since if you are able to do it so you don't have to deal with the weight of the O/D. I still remember putting it in, by myself!

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...

Last edited by The Master Cylinder; 04-25-2023 at 08:58 AM.
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 08:55 AM   #4
arnhemmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post

Tom Endy
Thanks for the very usefull info. Tom
arnhemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 06:10 PM   #5
Tom Endy

Here in Southern California we have an organization called the “BLT Guys” (named for the founders, Bryan, Larry, and Tom). We install Mitchell overdrives and charge a fee of $500 that is donated to the youth Model A restoration program. In the last three years we have done 17 installs, the 18th is scheduled in a couple weeks. The installs are schedule on a Saturday morning and takes about four to five hours. The owner of the car writes a check to the youth origination and receives a receipt which is tax deductible because it is a 503c charitable organization. We have the full support of the Mitchell company.

It is much like a seminar, anywhere from five to fifteen guys show up, coffee and donuts are available. All the unique tools are here along with the knowledge of how to go about the task. Several of the installs included a Mitchell synchronous transmission. An additional fee of $400 is charged and donated.

About a year and a half ago we had two overdrive installs back to back that did not shift well and would not stay in gear. The Mitchell company immediately realized they had a problem. They had a number of synchro gears that were defective. One of the installs corrected itself after driving it for a while. The other did not. The Mitchell company immediately sent us another overdrive transmission box and we scheduled a Saturday where we swapped out the defective one.

We did not charge the owner an additional fee, the Mitchell company made a donation to the youth Model A restoration program and paid for all the shipping.

In order to replace the overdrive transmission box we disconnected it at the back of the front tube and pulled the rear end out, switched the transmission box and reinstalled the rear end.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote