Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-06-2023, 05:39 PM   #1
OldGold360

Default Quality of Bill Hirsch Paint

I recently purchase four aerosol spray cans of the early Ford green from Hirsch Auto. Today I decided to paint some water pumps I have for an '36 engine. I prepped and primed them and that went well, as I expected it would, but when I started painting the Hirsch green, I was surprised how diluted the paint was. It's similar to transparent paints I've sprayed. It's almost like they didn't add the correct amount of pigment. After 6 coats and it still not covering, I decided there is something wrong with the paint. Yes, I did shake it well... very well. I also tried the other cans and they are all them same.

Has anybody else experienced this with Hirsch spray paint? Or have you had good results?

Thanks!
OldGold360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 06:31 PM   #2
3twinridges

Default Re: Quality of Bill Hirsch Paint

I bought a few cans of the black a few weeks ago. Sprays out ok, but then is really tacky for several days. The enamel out of the can cures much faster.

JB
3twinridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 06:49 PM   #3
paul2748

I've used both spray and brush on with no problems. Always seemed to cover good.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 07:43 PM   #4
OldGold360

There must be a problem with this new batch. They’ve been out of stock for awhile and I ordered once they became available. It just will not cover. I’ve emailed them. Hopefully they can get it sorted out. Thanks
Old 04-07-2023, 09:07 AM   #5
Shoebox

I bought some Ford green a few years back and it was great. I JUST got some aerosol black and (yes I shook it and fully depressed the spray button) and it sprayed very dry and took forever to dry. Really surprised me.

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 09:13 AM   #6
mfirth

I've used very old Hirsch 8BA brushed on & it worked as well as a fresh can. Love the stuff.
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 11:54 AM   #7
Seth Swoboda

The aresol paint cans of any brand, never seem to coat well over cast iron. I use a foam brush to paint cast iron engine parts.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 01:57 PM   #8
OldGold360

I’ve painted direct to cast iron before, I’ve used Hirsch spray paint before as well as other brands, both over cast as well as primer. The parts I painted were primed. Usually 2 coats is plenty to cover, maximum of 3. I’ve sprayed 6 coats with the new Hirsch cans and it still isn’t covering. It’s like I’m using water color or candy paint. I’m was just wondering if anyone else has purchased from Hirsch recently and experienced the same issues. I’m convinced there is something wrong with the paint. I’m just wanting for a response from Hirsch. They are closed today.
Old 04-07-2023, 04:02 PM   #9
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGold360 View Post
I’ve painted direct to cast iron before, I’ve used Hirsch spray paint before as well as other brands, both over cast as well as primer. The parts I painted were primed. Usually 2 coats is plenty to cover, maximum of 3. I’ve sprayed 6 coats with the new Hirsch cans and it still isn’t covering. It’s like I’m using water color or candy paint. I’m was just wondering if anyone else has purchased from Hirsch recently and experienced the same issues. I’m convinced there is something wrong with the paint. I’m just wanting for a response from Hirsch. They are closed today.
Let us know what they have to say please.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 09:08 PM   #10
J Franklin

I use Snyder's engine green aerosol and it coats quickly in 1 or 2 coats.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 12:30 AM   #11
OldGold360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
Let us know what they have to say please.
I heard back from Jeff at Hirsch. He explained that at the end of a run, sometimes not enough paint gets mixed into the pre-charged cans. That sure seems like what I got. Fortunately, he said he will refund me for the cans I purchased. Unfortunately, they are out of stock on green paint. Now the fun task of stripping this stuff off of brand new water pumps.
Old 04-08-2023, 05:18 AM   #12
ronn

task of stripping this stuff off of brand new water pumps.

and why cant you respray with a diff brnd? what am I missing, other then a screw loose in my head?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 10:07 AM   #13
OldGold360

I could spray another brand enamel over the top, but I don’t like all the layers of paint I have on the pumps. Just a personal preference is all. I’m just glad I didn’t paint the block first!
Old 04-08-2023, 10:24 AM   #14
J Franklin

Many parts from the factory were dip painted and were a fairly heavy coating. You would have a closer to original job maybe if you didn't strip before repaint.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 11:01 AM   #15
cas3

If the paint did not cover well, that means there is not much paint on it, and the solvents have evaporated only leaving a surface thin enough to spray over the top IMHO
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 12:34 PM   #16
rotorwrench

The 101 Japan black enamel dip followed by the 102 jet black Japan enamel dip was used for mostly chassis parts to include fenders and aprons. This was a complicated process of metal finishing, cleaning, dipping, and drying of these parts. There was likely a crew just to maintain the paint mixtures and equipment since there was a lot of maintenance that went along with this process.

The engines and transmissions were separate from other chassis parts since they used a different color and had their own assembly process. The parts were cleaned of all grease after exiting the final machining processes and then paint caps were installed prior to the parts being sprayed with the green paint. After exiting the drying process, the parts went on to the engine/transmission assembly lines for final assembly. The parts that required paint were all finished prior to that final assembly. Assembled engines went on to the engine test line.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 02:05 PM   #17
OldGold360

To make a long story short… it was some incorrectly filled cans. I stripped the pumps, and primed and painted them this morning using different paint. Problem solved. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2023, 12:59 PM   #18
blueoval37

I just bought a quart and took it to my local ppg store had it made into a few aerosols sprayed great. Just painted my tranny when it got back from Van Pelts

Boling Brothers Lincoln Brakes
39 Pedals
Van Pelt Built 3spd
HotRodWorks Banjo Rearend
blueoval37 is offline   Reply With Quote