Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-28-2021, 01:43 PM   #1
Brentwood Bob

Default Windshield Glass Removal

While trying to remove a windshield glass to be used as a template the glass cracked. The old sealant would not release.
The restorer asked me if I had any ideas.
I suggested talking with his local glass supplier, or maybe a solvent like lacquer thinner. Trying the lacquer thinner just cracked the glass.
I found this product, which may be the magic he needs. Quick Release Agent, in a 14 ounce spray bottle. Specifically used to release the glass from old sealant.
Anyone tried this, or have other suggestions.
The windshields I worked on were both delaminated, and the bedding was not adhered to the glass. I Never asked a glass supplier what they do.
Brentwood Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 07:32 AM   #2
Russell Reay

Default Re: Windshield Glass Removal

Bob-As I struggled to separate the frame from the glass, the glass broke. I discovered that it is not laminated safety glass, so no great loss. New frame is on order, and local shop says they can fit new glass to frame. My only concern is about how to bed the glass. I don't want to be a PIA and tell the shop how to do it, but want to be sure they use the right material. Might they use 'modern methods' that are as good as using the bedding sold by our vendors?
Russell Reay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 11:01 AM   #3
Brentwood Bob

My experience doing a handful is what you can view in the YouTube series I made.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uW_RxKdCoxs
Go to the mafca site to pull up all 6.
I used two types of Imbedding from our suppliers.
If you are going for a restoration the canvas backed was used. No other sealant to my knowledge. You will have to discuss this with your local shop.
Why did you order a new frame? Pitted original?
Old 09-29-2021, 11:22 AM   #4
Russell Reay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob View Post
My experience doing a handful is what you can view in the YouTube series I made.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uW_RxKdCoxs
Go to the mafca site to pull up all 6.
I used two types of Imbedding from our suppliers.
If you are going for a restoration the canvas backed was used. No other sealant to my knowledge. You will have to discuss this with your local shop.
Why did you order a new frame? Pitted original?
I have watched those videos, and they are most helpful. I must deal with priority of which projects to do myself and which to have done by others. I am better at turning a wrench than doing body work. Why a new frame ? Old frame was not just pitted, but rusted through so bad and in so many places that I don't believe it was repairable. UPS just delivered the new one-correct choice for me.
Russell Reay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 11:33 AM   #5
Brentwood Bob

Until I removed the glass I could not see the condition in the glass channels on my frames.
Epoxy can only do so much.
Old 09-29-2021, 11:34 AM   #6
bavArian

Just swapped the cracked windshield for a new one myself. I had a gap of around 1 mm (~0,04") at each side. Bought standard 1 mm butyl-tape and put that around the glass. Then I inserted the glass into the frame and tightened it up. After that you simply cut the excess butyl directly on the glass and peel it off. (no, you don't scratch the glass if you cut gently with the blade)

The result is a perfectly sharp and straight edge of the butyl tape which ends exactly with the windshield frame. The only downside is that the cutting and peeling takes quite some time.
bavArian is offline   Reply With Quote