Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-23-2021, 04:05 PM   #1
hardtimes

Default Trrans adapt q.

How to adapt an auto to a B engine.

No body on this board has ever been involved with installing an auto trans in a model A/B ? Thanks guys !!

Last edited by hardtimes; 09-25-2021 at 12:18 AM.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:44 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Trrans adapt q.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post

No body on this board has ever been involved with installing an auto trans in a model A/B ?
Go to "search" and then "advanced search". Search for "automatic transmission" (note the "" marks are important. Restrict the search to the Model A Forum. You will find threads like this: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...2Atransmission

There is one guy in Southern California that does it but I can't remember his name. You will come across it.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:05 AM   #3
Ruth

Wilcap Co. makes adaptors for all kinds of applications but I don't see anything for the Model A engine. Might try them tho. http://wilcap.com/ Then there is Flat-o that makes adaptors for flatheads to C-4's. https://flat-o.com/carproducts/index.htm
Old 09-24-2021, 07:00 AM   #4
Colonial coupe

Years ago in the restorer magazine there was an article about a guy who because of his handicap installed an automatic in his A. He used a 3 speed from a mopar 6 cylinder because of starter location. He had some problems at first but it turned out that the bellhousing face was not square to the centerline of the shaft centerline, after facing the bellhousing of the transmission he got it to work reliably. I believe that he had made his own adapter. I don't remember how long ago the article was in there but it had to be more than 30 years. Wish I could be of more help.
Colonial coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:25 PM   #5
leakers

When you asked the same question over on the HAMB , you got the same answers, and a whole lot of bull as well.
I gave up there because all the others wanted to do was argue the finer points and
semantics of various transmissions without actually having any of the knowledge which you asked for.
I have never fitted one but I have worked on three Model As with Banger motors and auto transmissions.
You have already spoken to Gene at FlatO and you told us he does not have the parts for a banger conversion .
So either spend the time to make your own 904 conversion as per the detailed post given on the HAMB ( I think the message was "it took two years of frustration and" .....)
The only way I can see forward for you is to
Use your spare Clings flathead V8 gearbox adapter , buy a flat-O flathead V8 kit for C4 to bolt on behind that or if it's not available, buy one from Flatattack in Aussie. You will need to modify your chassis and rear axle for some torque arms to replace the rear radius rods , which are not strong enough on their own once you remove the torque tube to use open drive. You will also need to replace or modify the center X member for a trans mount and place to locate those torque arms. That still leaves you to do the open drive conversion, fit a shifter for the trans and an inhibitor switch. The C4 will be much higher than the Model A or V8 box in the car so the floor will need modifying or the whole drivetrain , (engine mounts etc) will need lowering in the chassis.
That will just leave you the job of adapting the Flat-O-Matic flexplate to the banger in the correct position to connect the torque convertor to the trans and the starter to suit the depth of the ring gear from the flange face.
I am sure there will be a few other things to finesse as there always is when you modify .
As I said, I have tuned and repaired Model As for three people here in New Zealand who have imported automatic equipped Model As from the USA, NONE of them drive satisfactorily, they are all gutless, awkward and uncomfortable , lacking footroom, and they all look ugly with trans coolers and electric fans and odd looking stuff inside and under the car. AND all three of them overheat on hills in hot weather .(NZ is nowhere as warm as California).

I gave up taking about this on the HAMB as it was just going in circles, if you go back there and ignore the know all know nothing irrelevant posts, read the informative ones write yourself a chart of actual work involved , costs and availability do the same here and then evaluate the job, you will come to your own conclusions.
Like I said there , if I had the same issue you have with your leg ,I would stick with the clutch and fit a proper vacuum operated clutch pedal booster . It is small , uncomplicated and able to be removed in the future.
Cheers
CC8 over and out.
leakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:28 PM   #6
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Go to "search" and then "advanced search". Search for "automatic transmission" (note the "" marks are important. Restrict the search to the Model A Forum. You will find threads like this: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...2Atransmission

There is one guy in Southern California that does it but I can't remember his name. You will come across it.

Charlie Stephens
Hey Charlie ,
Thanks your input has helped.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:57 PM   #7
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by leakers View Post
When you asked the same question over on the HAMB , you got the same answers, and a whole lot of bull as well.
I gave up there because all the others wanted to do was argue the finer points and
semantics of various transmissions without actually having any of the knowledge which you asked for.
I have never fitted one but I have worked on three Model As with Banger motors and auto transmissions.
You have already spoken to Gene at FlatO and you told us he does not have the parts for a banger conversion .
So either spend the time to make your own 904 conversion as per the detailed post given on the HAMB ( I think the message was "it took two years of frustration and" .....)
The only way I can see forward for you is to
Use your spare Clings flathead V8 gearbox adapter , buy a flat-O flathead V8 kit for C4 to bolt on behind that or if it's not available, buy one from Flatattack in Aussie. You will need to modify your chassis and rear axle for some torque arms to replace the rear radius rods , which are not strong enough on their own once you remove the torque tube to use open drive. You will also need to replace or modify the center X member for a trans mount and place to locate those torque arms. That still leaves you to do the open drive conversion, fit a shifter for the trans and an inhibitor switch. The C4 will be much higher than the Model A or V8 box in the car so the floor will need modifying or the whole drivetrain , (engine mounts etc) will need lowering in the chassis.
That will just leave you the job of adapting the Flat-O-Matic flexplate to the banger in the correct position to connect the torque convertor to the trans and the starter to suit the depth of the ring gear from the flange face.
I am sure there will be a few other things to finesse as there always is when you modify .
As I said, I have tuned and repaired Model As for three people here in New Zealand who have imported automatic equipped Model As from the USA, NONE of them drive satisfactorily, they are all gutless, awkward and uncomfortable , lacking footroom, and they all look ugly with trans coolers and electric fans and odd looking stuff inside and under the car. AND all three of them overheat on hills in hot weather .(NZ is nowhere as warm as California).

I gave up taking about this on the HAMB as it was just going in circles, if you go back there and ignore the know all know nothing irrelevant posts, read the informative ones write yourself a chart of actual work involved , costs and availability do the same here and then evaluate the job, you will come to your own conclusions.
Like I said there , if I had the same issue you have with your leg ,I would stick with the clutch and fit a proper vacuum operated clutch pedal booster . It is small , uncomplicated and able to be removed in the future.
Cheers
CC8 over and out.
CC8,
Thats what I appreciate…frank straight forward talk… thanks!
You’ve given me LOT to consider. Your approach works for me. I’ve got some thinking to do. I can use your experience and views to evaluate others and evidence.
The guy I mentioned over there… who had just finished his auto install, well he. Said LOT of work and EXPENSIVE. Too bad he didnt give details. I find at times that guys are tight lipped about some things. Go figure.. what the heck ??
I will re-evaluate the “stick” approach, with assist. Sounds feasible.
Old 09-25-2021, 12:12 AM   #8
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonial coupe View Post
Years ago in the restorer magazine there was an article about a guy who because of his handicap installed an automatic in his A. He used a 3 speed from a mopar 6 cylinder because of starter location. He had some problems at first but it turned out that the bellhousing face was not square to the centerline of the shaft centerline, after facing the bellhousing of the transmission he got it to work reliably. I believe that he had made his own adapter. I don't remember how long ago the article was in there but it had to be more than 30 years. Wish I could be of more help.
I know a couple of old timers, who have physical maladies that force them to alternate ways to keep using their As. Now Im A owner with problems, but not ready to stop enjoying my As. That’s the basis for investigating an auto trans install. Ive found,so far, there is lots to know.
Old 09-25-2021, 12:16 AM   #9
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
Wilcap Co. makes adaptors for all kinds of applications but I don't see anything for the Model A engine. Might try them tho. http://wilcap.com/ Then there is Flat-o that makes adaptors for flatheads to C-4's. https://flat-o.com/carproducts/index.htm
Thanks, Ill check all that out !
Old 09-25-2021, 12:19 AM   #10
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post

No body on this board has ever been involved with installing an auto trans in a model A/B ? Thanks guys !!
Thanks guys
Old 09-25-2021, 08:57 AM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by leakers View Post
I gave up there because all the others wanted to do was argue the finer points and semantics of various transmissions without actually having any of the knowledge which you asked for.

You know, your comment echos what I have found on social media sites as well.

While this site has had issues with 'B.S. Bantering' in the past (-fortunately most of those guys were banned and moved elsewhere) I think the root of what has made this site the best is that most of the advice given here is from actual first-hand experiences of owners/restorers.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:11 AM   #12
Benson

Default Re: Trrans adapt q. - Automatic transmission adapters Chrysler 904

posted
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:47 PM   #13
hardtimes

Default Re: Trrans adapt q. - Automatic transmission adapters Chrysler 904

Thread ‘closed’.

WRONG FORUM.

Last edited by hardtimes; 09-27-2021 at 01:30 PM.