Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-05-2021, 01:50 PM   #21
Crankster

Default Re: Zinc anode for radiator

One thing an article I'm reading about "zincs" or sacrificial anodes stressed, it has to have a good electrical contact with whatever it is you're trying to protect. Just hanging a strip of zinc in the coolant itself for example, might not actually work.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:02 PM   #22
JimNNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankster View Post
One thing an article I'm reading about "zincs" or sacrificial anodes stressed, it has to have a good electrical contact with whatever it is you're trying to protect. Just hanging a strip of zinc in the coolant itself for example, might not actually work.

Thanks for that hint, Crankster. It sounds like the anode KULTULZ suggested might work better than what I saw at Mac's. The Mac's unit just dangled from a wire if I interpreted the picture correctly. I don't know how good a connection that would be. I'll investigate further.
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-12-2021, 04:33 PM   #23
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobie Gillis View Post
Back in one of my previous incarnations I was a field rep for Standard Ignition. At that time the local power company, HL&P (Houston Lighting & Power, aka., Houston Looting & Pillaging) was using big gas powered Ford trucks with BIG 2 way radios. They were using Standard's Blue Streak (heavy duty) version of Ford's ignition module to replace the OEM modules when they gave up the ghost. HL&P soon began reporting that if the drivers keyed the mike for their radio it killed the engine. Somehow the transmitters could set a RFI that could confuse the module enough to kill the engine. Standard came up with an internal shield for the modules that deflected the RFI. Problem solved but it took a bit of head scratching.
Standard Ignition...wow, I have not heard that name in a while. When I was a kid, the shop I used to work at used Sorenson Ignition products, which were great. Then Standard Ignition bought them. I guess they wanted to get control of Sorenson's patent.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 04:53 PM   #24
Dobie Gillis

Standard bought out most of their competition some time ago. Sorenson, Borg Warner, Echlin. Their Four Seasons A/C division bought out Everco and Murray, too. I think they now have the lion's share of the aftermarket for ignition and HVAC parts. I haven't been associated with them since the late 80s so I don't know what else they've acquired since.