Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2017, 01:20 PM   #21
48fordnut

Default Re: Ancient History

I use brake cleaner ,easier on the eng for starting.
48fordnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #22
Alaska Jim

Try changing a starter in a '63 ranchero, with a 260 V8, and headers at -20* F. outside. no garage. I had to do that the first winter I spent here in Alaska , back in '75. it had a bad Bendix and would not always engage. I knew it was weak when it was warm, but never did anything about it. I learned about preventive winter maintenance, and to get it done before it got cold
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:36 PM   #23
revkev6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Jim View Post
Try changing a starter in a '63 ranchero, with a 260 V8, and headers at -20* F. outside. no garage. I had to do that the first winter I spent here in Alaska , back in '75. it had a bad Bendix and would not always engage. I knew it was weak when it was warm, but never did anything about it. I learned about preventive winter maintenance, and to get it done before it got cold
try that with a volkswagen rabbit. that thing would kill starters. think between my mother, then my brother, then me there were 5 starters put in that thing. was a whore to get to. then even worse to figure out how to get it out and in. my brother and I would walk up the street to the junkyard to get em because the autoparts place was too far away!
revkev6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:48 PM   #24
Alaska Jim

revkev6, I have always tried avoid import cars , although I have had a few. 1 MGB, and 1 new Toyota. the Toyota was a good car, the MG, not so much.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #25
slowforty

Ford38v8 At that time we were in our late teens and were in a Lot more better shape. You just had to be Quick and not trip and Fall or be to Hungover.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:05 PM   #26
slowforty

Just like the old book "40 Yards to the Out House." by Willie Makeit and Bettye Dont'.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:12 PM   #27
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowforty View Post
Ford38v8 At that time we were in our late teens and were in a Lot more better shape. You just had to be Quick and not trip and Fall or be to Hungover.
OK, try laying on your back, head to head with a buddy, both spit straight up in the air and guess which way to roll over!
Old 10-12-2017, 03:37 PM   #28
rowens55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
OK, try laying on your back, head to head with a buddy, both spit straight up in the air and guess which way to roll over!
I'll pass on that one thanks! Ugh!!
Old 10-12-2017, 04:31 PM   #29
jim1932

For Dad's big truck he mounted a ceiling light socket to a section of 2X6 and put a heat lamp in it. Would plug it in an hour before starting it. When you are the guy that's supposed to plow and sand you need to be sure you can get running.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:06 PM   #30
ford38v8

Chicken ranchers know all about light bulbs as heaters!
Old 10-12-2017, 06:01 PM   #31
john in illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
That automatic had a rear pump turned by the driveshaft so you could pull or push it to start it. Only thing was, you had to get up over 20-25 MPH to spin the innards in the torque converter fast enough.

The Operator's Manual for the 8N tractor of the forties said to pour about a pint of gasoline into the crankcase before shutting off the tractor, and let it run a minute or so to mix the gas into the oil. That way it would start the next day, and as it ran the gas would evaporate out of the oil.
when I was in Alaska, I was an aircraft mechanic. Our radial engine Dehaviland Beavers and Otters had an oil dilution Switch. while it was running Push it for so many seconds to pump gas in the crankcase for cold starting. Evaporated with running.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:15 PM   #32
5851a

No one in there right mind would spend 20 dollars for a new battery in a 100 dollar car. Winter is what bumpers were made for.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:54 PM   #33
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by john in illinois View Post
when I was in Alaska, I was an aircraft mechanic. Our radial engine Dehaviland Beavers and Otters had an oil dilution Switch. while it was running Push it for so many seconds to pump gas in the crankcase for cold starting. Evaporated with running.

John
I imagine the aviation oil you ran was straight 50 or 50W?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:55 AM   #34
john in illinois

You are correct, we used Aeroshell 50.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:09 PM   #35
49fordv8f4

While I would have to agree that dual circuit power disc brakes are a definite improvement, I will have to be the lone ranger and say that I would gladly take points or Ford Dura Spark ignition and a carburetor or a full mechanical diesel over the computerized vehicles of today. IMHO computers have no place on an automobile or truck, but I know they are here to stay. I have always done my own maintenance and repairs to all my vehicles, but my wife's car has a computer problem that I can't find and I've been told that it probably can't be found until it dies. I could fix it if it had a distributer and carb. End of rant, Sorry.
Mark
49fordv8f4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #36
tubman

"49fordv8f4" - I agree with you on older cars, but for daily drivers they're here to stay. To me, a new car is an appliance, kinda like a washing machine. I don't care what kind it is, what it looks like, or anything else; it just has to do it's job, day after day, year after year with no problems.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:39 PM   #37
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
"49fordv8f4" - I agree with you on older cars, but for daily drivers they're here to stay. To me, a new car is an appliance, kinda like a washing machine. I don't care what kind it is, what it looks like, or anything else; it just has to do it's job, day after day, year after year with no problems.
And then you throw them away. Disposable, no one would want to or could afford to bring one of these back from the grave.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:32 PM   #38
GB SISSON

Could not agree more with Tubman and Seth. Like a cordless drill or a router in our shop. They work great for many years and then you toss them out. Been seeing service depts at 130.00 per hour......
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:52 PM   #39
Bubsyouruncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by supereal View Post
I am surprised that no one mentioned starting fluid. A couple of good whiffs and a fully charged battery will beat towing or heating. I leave the top of the air filter in place and apply the spray to the element. If you overdo application, that will save your eyebrows.
Ether worked, and worked well. Except. If you used tooooo much. And then it grounded your plugs (I think, or was told.) But that was a lot of years ago.

Milwaukee. Winter of 1963/4. Early January. Snow blew through the louvers and covered the engine. Didn't look under the hood until I had pretty well exhausted the battery. Went across the street and got some ????? ether. And soaked the plugs trying to start it. Now the battery is dead. And it is 11:30 pm. And I am miles from home.

And some dear sole with a ?? took pity on me and pushed me at 25 mph across the 16th street bridge from Wisconsin Ave to National and the old girl fired up.

Couldn't do THAT today with our plastic bumpers.
Bubsyouruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:51 AM   #40
bobs1938ford

i was stationed in Alaska in the fifties and put a blow torch against the oil pan for 5-10 minutes to warm up th eoil to start it.

bob
bobs1938ford is offline   Reply With Quote